Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone do an Ape install With Heated Grips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:00 AM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Anyone do an Ape install With Heated Grips?

I have my 578's getting ready to do the install and I was at the dealer today talking to the service guy that installed my heated grips (Streamliner) before I picked up my SGS a month ago. He said that the left side grip cannot be wired internally only the grips for the Limited can be internally wired and when i looked at the grip seems like the wiring comes out of the side of the grip before the flange. Any of you guys internally wire your heated grips on apes?

Old 12-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Knightlimper
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put Wild One 577's on my 2010 Limited three years ago and wired the heated grips internally.

So, as your guy said, I can verify that you can wire the Limited's heated grips internally. Can't help you with the Streamliners, though. Haven't seen them.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:23 PM
BigDave75
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't work on my 13' Limited.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:51 AM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Old 12-05-2013, 06:05 AM
Turret_plug
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I couldn't fit the green wire clip in the bars, had I cut and soldered it perhaps I could have fit the heated grip wiring in there, but I don't ride in that sort of temperature so I left it out. Mine is a TBW bike, the right side gets sort of cramped with wires once you start pulling them through!

Old 12-05-2013, 07:07 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

The CVO heated grips can be wired internally. They are chrome if that's what you're going for. I rode with a guy that had 16" YMB's wired that way.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:01 AM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member

When reading thru the parts book all the heated grips say "Not for use with internally wired handlebars" so I guess I'm going to be running that wire external because I do like the heated grips.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

EJ,

I've seen folks cut a small notch in the rubber part of the grip that is locked in the housing, but not sure it would work on the 2014 bikes/control housings. Then, they run the wires into the housing and internally wire the grips.

I did a bar install for a guy that had heated grips. I extended all the wiring for them, ran everything through, and then when I went to install the left/clutch side grip, it wouldn't fit the bars.

There is a blue tube inside the grip, which is like a rheostat and controls the grips' heat level. The tube was too wide to fit inside the bar end. So, it wasn't even a case of the wiring, but the actual grips wouldn't fit with thicker walled handlebars.

Have you considered heated gloves as an alternative? I went this route, and I've not been disappointed. Lake Shore sells the heated gear and controllers at discounted prices too, and I believe Kutter HD may as well.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:44 AM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
EJ,

I've seen folks cut a small notch in the rubber part of the grip that is locked in the housing, but not sure it would work on the 2014 bikes/control housings. Then, they run the wires into the housing and internally wire the grips.

I did a bar install for a guy that had heated grips. I extended all the wiring for them, ran everything through, and then when I went to install the left/clutch side grip, it wouldn't fit the bars.

There is a blue tube inside the grip, which is like a rheostat and controls the grips' heat level. The tube was too wide to fit inside the bar end. So, it wasn't even a case of the wiring, but the actual grips wouldn't fit with thicker walled handlebars.

Have you considered heated gloves as an alternative? I went this route, and I've not been disappointed. Lake Shore sells the heated gear and controllers at discounted prices too, and I believe Kutter HD may as well.
I did call Wild1 since I am using their bars and they did tell me that heated grips would work with their bars so I am assuming that fitment will not be an issue but you know the old saying never "assume" lol.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by ejvette
I did call Wild1 since I am using their bars and they did tell me that heated grips would work with their bars so I am assuming that fitment will not be an issue but you know the old saying never "assume" lol.
Hmm, I wish I could remember what brand the bars were that I ran into this problem on. I've done Wild1 bars, but I don't think it was them....

I do know that some folks here were having the bar ends bored out a bit to accommodate Heat Demons. Perhaps the same would be possible for your application as well, if needed. Of course, you'd have to find a machine shop that could do the work.

Quick Reply: Anyone do an Ape install With Heated Grips?