Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 roadking handlebars and cams

Old 12-14-2013, 07:20 AM
ballbreaker69
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Question 2014 roadking handlebars and cams

My 2010 roadking was written off so I am looking at a new 2014 FLHR. When talking with the dealer he said the new bars are new, higher and pulled back and very comfortable. He said the new cams are awsome and give great passing acceleration and the new oil cooler works very well. Does anyone on the forum own a new 2014 FLHR and how do you find the handlebars for comfort. Anyone know what kind of cams that harley is running? Any opinions would be really appreciated from first hand owner experience. Don't really want to start cables, controls and bar mods again. He also said that changing to slipons and K&N filter element would only require a download and not a tuner?

Old 12-14-2013, 10:31 AM
thrapy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't tell you by my own experience, but I have a friend that trade his 08 Street Glide for 2014 Street Glide, all he has done is put Rush slip ons. he said that thing rocks, so much more power that 08. good luck, go test ride one..

Old 12-14-2013, 10:51 AM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had 3 Road Kings and the first things that have to go are the seat and the bars. Regarding bars, I sat on a 2014 FLHR for quite a while, getting the feel for seat and bars. Better than pre 2014, but still not what I'd call, "really good - no modifications required". The bars feel like Heritage Bars, better than before, but not for me. The seat is still not good in my opinion - I'll take a Mustang Vintage Solo w/ passenger pillion.

Check out Buckinfitch's post on his 11'' Santee mini-apes.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...g-apechit.html

They look like a real good fit for someone who wants more comfort, a beefier (1.25") looking bar and a higher bar without going to 14" or 16" apes.

Regarding cams, dealer told me that new cams are similar to a 255 (but it's not a 255). More power, but I don't know how much.

Personally, I'd stay with just slip ons till (or if) you do a full Stage 1 at which time you'd install new header, A/C, tuner, header along with the slip ons and probably have it dynoed so you could get it tuned to get all the power for the money you just spent.

OK, that's my $.02 for what it's worth. Have fun with your new King.

Last edited by one-up; 12-14-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:51 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

14 Kings do have new bars that pull back more then 13 and older. I don't know what cams the 14 has, but most every one reports they do have more power. On the download thing not sure about that. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:01 AM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 14 RK and yes the bars are very comfortable, similar to the heritage bars. I traded my 09 Street Glide for this bike and this bike feels faster. I downloaded the SEST , removed the cat converter and ceramic coated the stock head pipe and stock mufflers. I feel a huge difference in the heat reduction and the stock mufflers with the cat removed sounds real good, like an old glass pack muffler not too loud but loud enough to let you know you are riding a Harley!

Old 12-14-2013, 12:09 PM
ballbreaker69
Tourer

Thanks for all the replies. It is -28 degrees today so I guess there will be no test ride today LOL Only one dealer here has a new roadking sitting on the floor that is already sold, however he indicated that he will show it to me. Going to see it on Monday. Can hardly wait to see it.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:22 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by ballbreaker69
Thanks for all the replies. It is -28 degrees today so I guess there will be no test ride today LOL Only one dealer here has a new roadking sitting on the floor that is already sold, however he indicated that he will show it to me. Going to see it on Monday. Can hardly wait to see it.
Right now it's 20 degrees here in Lansing Mi and snowing, SUCKS. I don't know why but I've had a hard time trying to find 14 Kings on the floor around mid Mi. I have a 11 King that I love but I'm going to get a new 15 in a year, if I can hold back that long.
Up-date after you look her over.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:53 AM
ballbreaker69
Tourer

I am going to see one on Monday or Tuesday and will tell you what I see and think of the new FLHR. This is the only one around my province to see however we only have two dealers so they seem scarce until March when there next shipment comes in.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:29 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

There are quite a few 2014 RK owners on the forum. I am sure they will be chiming in soon with their riding impressions.

From an interested observers viewpoint I really like the 2014 RK handlebars, although over the last 10k miles I have grown accustomed to my 2011 stock bars and like them enough to have no interest in switching I wasn't a fan at first.

The 2014 motor is stronger which is attributed mostly to the new cam and intake. The dealer is correct stating that you will only need a download, but I think buying a Powervision for the download would be the way to go in case you need to tweak that download at some point down the road. And I would heartily recommend getting your Stage 1 package from Fuel Moto.

If I wasn't so happy with my 2011 RK I would be going for a 2014 RK myself. I like all the improvements they made for 2014. The improvements to the brakes and ABS system bring me almost to my tipping point. I do miss the rear bumper that was deleted for 2014 though.

I thought this pic of a 2014 gives a nice view of the new handlebars.

Last edited by dswansbiker; 12-15-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

I have a 2014 Road King. I love it. So much so that the only modifications I am planning is adding a passenger back rest and a luggage rack. No further mods required for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 roadking handlebars and cams