Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Infotainment radio deception

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:07 PM
MF2014
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning! HD is misleading the public on their Bluetooth

That's right, i just spent over 10% of the bikes purchase price on a radio that is supposedly bluetooth but cannot connect to any bluetooth headset on the market today. Worse yet, HD has no plans for one at the moment and any conversation you have with them on this issue is quickly dispensed of as not important etc. The HD customer service rep. was curt, arrogant and condescending and failed to explained to me why the parts & accessories catalog indicates that bluetooth headsets would work with the system when they do not. So for now I have my $2,000 infotainment system used as a holder for a one cent piece of velcro that holds my cell phone in place so that I can use my Cardo Scala G9 Bluetooth headset. I will not be duped into spending any more money on this bike to add an antiquated, decades old, corded headset. So be forewarned people, don't bother with HD's ridiculous excuse for an infotainment system when you can by a $20 smart phone holder and a Sena or Scala bluetooth system for a couple few hundred dollars that knocks the crap out of the HD Infotainment system. Again, what is most maddening about all of this is that HD just doesn't give a crap at all. Don't believe me? Give them a call and I'm sure you will quickly agree that customer service believes... we all suck and we're all just suckers.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:09 PM
MF2014
Intermediate

That's right, i just spent over 10% of the bikes purchase price on a radio that is supposedly bluetooth but cannot connect to any bluetooth headset on the market today. Worse yet, HD has no plans for one at the moment and any conversation you have with them on this issue is quickly dispensed of as not important etc. The HD customer service rep. was curt, arrogant and condescending and failed to explained to me why the parts & accessories catalog indicates that bluetooth headsets would work with the system when they do not. So for now I have my $2,000 infotainment system used as a holder for a one cent piece of velcro that holds my cell phone in place so that I can use my Cardo Scala G9 Bluetooth headset. I will not be duped into spending any more money on this bike to add an antiquated, decades old, corded headset. So be forewarned people, don't bother with HD's ridiculous excuse for an infotainment system when you can by a $20 smart phone holder and a Sena or Scala bluetooth system for a couple few hundred dollars that knocks the crap out of the HD Infotainment system. Again, what is most maddening about all of this is that HD just doesn't give a crap at all. Don't believe me? Give them a call and I'm sure you will quickly agree that customer service believes... we all suck and we're all just suckers.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:17 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MF2014
Yup. Because the ONLY use the infotainment system has is making phone calls.

Jesus.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:42 AM
MF2014
Intermediate
Default ???

Originally Posted by flyingace
Yup. Because the ONLY use the infotainment system has is making phone calls.

Jesus.
Don't know what this response means but on page 598 of the P&A catalog is clearly indicates that the 6.5" infotainment system pairs with "wireless" headsets. It does "NOT" and this is why I am upset and even more upset at how caviler HD is when presented with the fact that they misrepresented the product. I present this information for those who are interested in a fully integrated technology experience "as advertised". For those who could care less about this part of your bike then cool, but don't knock those of us who love the technology. If anyone has meaningful feedback regarding wireless headset solutions or has had better luck extracting an answer from HD as to when they plan on unleashing this technology, if ever, then please respond.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:55 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Flying Ace ,,,,,,,

corded headsets offer many advantages over wireless or Bluetooth headsets when using a fully integrated motorcycle audio system like is offered on the 2014 Harley ULTRA and can be added to the audio system provided on the 2014 StreetGlide ,,,,,,,

when I talk about proper integration, I am referring to the stereo music, private driver/passenger intercom, cell phone/smart phone conversations & 40-ch CB radio, automatically muting each other in and out of BOTH driver & passenger corded helmet headsets, for a FULL FEATURED motorcycle audio system ,,,,,

this type of audio system integration CANNOT be done with Bluetooth OR wireless headsets, regardless of brand ,,,,,,,,

those of you who own a 2014 Ultra or StreetGlide should be very proud of the audio system that Harley has installed on the 2014 models, as they are some of THE BEST ever offered as factory equipment on a touring motorcycle ,,,,,

still skeptical ? just talk to an owner of a BMW 16GTL who has tried to use BMWs sorry excuse for an integrated Bluetooth audio system ,,,, and how well they can actually hear and use it on the highway ,,,,,, (25 hand toggles per hour on the side of the helmet just to try and get all features to function together))

I did a video on this very subject about 6 months ago (link pasted below) ,,,, the video is Gold Wing based, but all of the same principles apply ,,,,,,,

There is NOTHING BETTER available today than the full featured motorcycle audio systems provided by the 2006-2014 Harley Ultra, Victory Vision, Can-Am Spyder RT, or Honda GL-1800, utilizing "corded" helmet headsets that never need to be charged ,,,,,,, PERIOD ,,,,,

you can debate this with me all day long, but I have been in the motorcycle audio business for 36 years now and have ridden them ALL ,,,,,,,

Old 01-04-2014, 09:08 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
Flying Ace ,,,,,,,

corded headsets offer many advantages over wireless or Bluetooth headsets when using a fully integrated motorcycle audio system like is offered on the 2014 Harley ULTRA and can be added to the audio system provided on the 2014 StreetGlide ,,,,,,,

when I talk about proper integration, I am referring to the stereo music, private driver/passenger intercom, cell phone/smart phone conversations & 40-ch CB radio, automatically muting each other in and out of BOTH driver & passenger corded helmet headsets, for a FULL FEATURED motorcycle audio system ,,,,,

this type of audio system integration CANNOT be done with Bluetooth OR wireless headsets, regardless of brand ,,,,,,,,

those of you who own a 2014 Ultra or StreetGlide should be very proud of the audio system that Harley has installed on the 2014 models, as they are some of THE BEST ever offered as factory equipment on a touring motorcycle ,,,,,

still skeptical ? just talk to an owner of a BMW 16GTL who has tried to use BMWs sorry excuse for an integrated Bluetooth audio system ,,,, and how well they can actually hear and use it on the highway ,,,,,, (25 hand toggles per hour on the side of the helmet just to try and get all features to function together))

I did a video on this very subject about 6 months ago (link pasted below) ,,,, the video is Gold Wing based, but all of the same principles apply ,,,,,,,

There is NOTHING BETTER available today than the full featured motorcycle audio systems provided by the 2006-2014 Harley Ultra, Victory Vision, Can-Am Spyder RT, or Honda GL-1800, utilizing "corded" helmet headsets that never need to be charged ,,,,,,, PERIOD ,,,,,

you can debate this with me all day long, but I have been in the motorcycle audio business for 36 years now and have ridden them ALL ,,,,,,,

Bluetooth vs Corded Helmet Headsets for the Gold Wing - YouTube ,,,,
Thanks John for the comments and the good evaluation of the HD Infotainment system, I only have my bike a short time and while not nearly proficient on all the features I'm loving it already. I use the wired headset/mic and have had no problems. To the folks that feel Harley "misrepresented the product", maybe a class action lawsuit?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:30 AM
Proud Marine Dad
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
Is it just me or are the riders today losing the basics of what riding is all about? Yes I have a new Limited and use that stuff now and then but my joy is still riding down the hiway enjoying the sound of the mufflers and the nature around me. I ride to get away from all the techno crap shoved up our noses every day.. I for one have no issues with the new infotainment center because that is not the center of my riding enjoyment. I'm thinkin those who make it their world would be better served in a luxury car, not a motorcycle.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:29 AM
stellarpod
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
Flying Ace ,,,,,,,

Bluetooth vs Corded Helmet Headsets for the Gold Wing - YouTube ,,,,

Well stated, John. I've been using J&M corded headsets for many years, starting with my Honda ST1300 sport-touring bike. You're equipment isn't the cheapest on the market, but it darn well does what it's supposed to do without fuss. I'm new to the H-D platform, but now use the same Elite headsets on my 2014 Ultra Limited, which simply required acquiring the proper down-cords. In my opinion, the new 2014 H-D Infotainment system is hands-down superior to the Goldwing - and I've still got my 2012 Goldwing ABS/Nav sitting in the storage building.

I just don't see anything that Bluetooth offers (yet) that would prompt me to change from my wired system. I would agree however, that IF the H-D Parts/Accessories catalog states that the system will interface with any Bluetooth headset, it ought to do it. If they've misspoken, they should come out with a statement of correction.

Steve

Old 01-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Zonked
6th Gear

Okay, for what its worth here's what I think...

First there are two (at least!) types of riders out there talking about this, I don't think there is any doubt if you are going two up, for many miles with or without a large group, a corded headset would be what you would want.

But for me, who just came off a Jap Cruiser, I only ride a few hundred miles over a couple of long weekends then the rest of my 10K miles every year are commuting. And I rarely ever ride two up.

So - What I want is simple integration with my Bluetooth headset so I can use the phone and voice commands, and still talk to my buddies who have the same set (Scala). This CAN be done quite simply with a less than $200 part (Bluetooth RX and TX combo that handles Headset protocol)

Should it have come on a +20K bike? Hell yes in my opinion.
Is it a deal breaker? Hell NO! That bike and stereo are freaking awesome!
Did I do my research BEFORE buying my bike and knew the capabilities? Again, HELL YES! I'm spending +20K on a freaking motorcycle, I'm going to know every single positive and negative.

If you are that upset about it, trade the bike in and get something that does what you want! and the MoCo should revise the P&A catalog, it does say it will work.

Actually, it will PAIR with a headset, it just doesn't do anything...

In the mean time, pair your phone talk mode only to your headset and then either Bluetooth the music to the bike or use the USB cable, gets you everything but voice commands and dialing through the radio. If you have voice dialing over the phone, its probably safer anyway, but lets not start THAT conversation...

Old 01-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MF2014
Another one...geezzz

The "infotainment" center that Harley went with operates very much like the one in my wife's 50K Lincoln and my 100K 911. Neither of those units will pair up with a wireless headset. Want to know WHY? Because instead it allows you to operate HANDS FREE, talking on the phone with both hands on the wheel, phone securely on my belt or in a cup holder (neither Lincoln nor Porsche saw the need to make a special place in the dash to stick our phones).

Harley, in the wisdom that comes from a MOTORCYCLE MANUFACTURE THAT HAS DONE IT FOR 110 YEARS NOW, thought this through...and made it to where if you are just hell bent on talking on the phone going down the road on your motorcycle, you can. Through a headset attached to the bike by a wire, allowing you to just move a thumb to answer the call. JUST like in a high end Porsche.

This feature is STANDARD on the top of the line bikes from Harley, the ElectraGlide Limited and CVO Limited. Oh, but you bought a STREETGLIDE? It will do it, too...just have to buy the things to make it do it. They cost a little more, but hey, you didn't WANT the top of the line, you wanted the StreetGlide. VERY nice bike. Doesn't have all the features of the TOP END BIKES. If it did, then IT would be the top of the line Touring bike.

But that's not good enough. You want it to pair up with your Bluetooth headset...the one you have to take you hand off the bars and push a button to answer...right? Tough, it doesn't work that way. It works to promote SAFETY, or as much safety as you can have, for someone who actually thinks trying to talk on the phone while you ride is a good idea.

There ya have it, skippy. Sorry that you feel that way about Harley Customer Service. They were just trying to keep from calling you an idiot on the phone for wanting to make this whole talking on the phone while you ride a bike thing as dangerous as you possibly can.

Oh, and in 38 years of owning Harley's, I've never had the problems with Customer Service that some of you seem to have. I've not always liked the answer, but I never felt like I was getting jerked around and lied to.

Peace OUT.

Quick Reply: 2014 Infotainment radio deception