Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 or 110

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:06 AM
roger smith
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 103 or 110

Very simple question I am still can you believe it trying to decide between an ultra limited or an ultra cvo that's of course if I can still get a CVO in the uk. extra chrome aside is it worth paying the extra for the 110 engine over the improved 103 in fact has anyone ridden both because sometimes I hear that the standard 103 with a stage 1 etc behaves better than a 110 and will I really notice the difference, will those extra cubes make any difference in the real world??

Old 12-17-2013, 11:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Prices for an Ultra here in the UK start at £20.5k, a Limited at £21.4k and a CVO at £30k. Now while many of our North American cousins have said the differences are worth the extra, that really is down to personal taste. Just think what you can do to an Ultra with just some of the extra £9.5k! I would spend it on better suspension and engine performance parts, which should enable it to show a stock 110 a clean pair of heels. A stage 4 is 2k dollars, a 120R kit not so much more. Both will need other parts, but should come in around half the difference in price. 120/120 plus should be adequate for most tastes!

Unfortunately I am not in a financial position to follow that advice.....

Old 12-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by roger smith
Very simple question I am still can you believe it trying to decide between an ultra limited or an ultra cvo that's of course if I can still get a CVO in the uk. extra chrome aside is it worth paying the extra for the 110 engine over the improved 103 in fact has anyone ridden both because sometimes I hear that the standard 103 with a stage 1 etc behaves better than a 110 and will I really notice the difference, will those extra cubes make any difference in the real world??
My dealer prefers a hot-rodded 103 over a 110. From what I hear, it's not that hard or expensive to make a 103 outrun a 110. Overall, the 103 has also proven more reliable.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:38 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have rode a stock 103 RG, stage-1 103 SG (PCV, heavy breather, dresser duals and rush lip ons) and a stock 110 CVO SG. the 110 kills the stock 103 no doubt, my stage-1 103 would stay right with the 110, it all depended on who got the hole shot. the 110 isnt worth the exra $$ of a CVO. i had my pick of the floor when i bought my SG and RG and never even debated on a CVO. my dad loves his. its all in what oyu really want

Old 12-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a '14 103 Limited and ride witha friend who has the 110 Ulra CVO. I would say he spent $10k US more than me and he can't leave me under 110 Mph (175Kph). It is only in the max speed range that his larger displacement seems to make a difference.

My 103 Limited is a Stage I
His 110 CVO Ultra is a Stage 1

Old 12-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Bearcat1
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have rode with both. I owned a 2012 CVO Street Glide for about a year and a half with the 110. Currently riding a 2014 Street Glide with the 103. For me I will take the 103 over the 110 anyday. While the 110 makes good power and was fun to ride it is not significant enough to me to warrant the extra cost. Plus the fact that the 110 runs hotter (even with de-catted header) and has tighter tolerances so it makes more top end noise. Mine was very noisy and always annoyed me. But I have heard this varies from bike to bike. Luck of the draw I guess. My 103 has a stage 1 on it. It runs strong, is solid, quiet and runs cooler. Just my thoughts. But of course the other factor to consider when puchasing a CVO is the beauty of the bike with that awesome paint job. That's hard to match with a base bike but again to each is own. My current SG is plain old Vivid Black with silver pinstriping and honestly, I think with the chrome and black contrast, it is actually more compelling to look at than my CVO was. Good luck either way!

Last edited by Bearcat1; 12-17-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat1
I have rode with both. I owned a 2012 CVO Street Glide for about a year and a half with the 110. Currently riding a 2014 Street Glide with the 103. For me I will take the 103 over the 110 anyday. While the 110 makes good power and was fun to ride it is not significant enough to me to warrant the extra cost. Plus the fact that the 110 runs hotter (even with de-catted header) and has tighter tolerances so it makes more top end noise. Mine was very noisy and always annoyed me. But I have heard this varies from bike to bike. Luck of the draw I guess. My 103 has a stage 1 on it. It runs strong, is solid, quiet and runs cooler. Just my thoughts. But of course the other factor to consider when puchasing a CVO is the beauty of the bike with that awesome paint job. That's hard to match with a base bike but again to each is own. My current SG is plain old Vivid Black with silver pinstriping and honestly, I think with the chrome and black contrast, it is actually more compelling to look at than my CVO was. Good luck either way!
The one drawback about having that awesome paint is when you drop it and have to get it repainted... I had a friend of mine wait several weeks for a repainted saddlebag.

Regardless, it's hard to explain to someone who deosn't get it, what a great deal a CVO model.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:04 PM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 110 in the CVO is just one of the many enhancements over the straight LTD. The list is too long to mention, as they say, but all that extra chrome and paint really set it apart. The 103 is a good motor and many will say that a Stage 1 103 will take a 110 all day long. C'mon guys, can we please compare apples to apple here. While it is true, a Stage 1 103 will take the 110 all day long, a Stage 1 110 will take the Stage 1 103 every time. If you do not think you are getting full value for the extra $s you will spend for a CVO, try putting all the CVO extras on a LTD, even excluding the 110, and see what it costs you. More, guaranteed. Plus you get to ride with your nose just a little higher on that CVO. LOL. I have the '12 Ultra LTD with a Stage 2 103 and love it. But if there would have been a CVO available at the time I bought it, well….

Old 12-17-2013, 02:25 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

if you have a large desire to modify your bike, do not buy a CVO. IF you are happy with simple modifications, like a non cat exhaust, slips ons and a tuner, then buy the CVO.

Honestly, i have both, my 04 with a 107 will whip my CVO 110 almost any day of the week and twice on sundays.

however, i have approx 10K in the engine in the 107 and the CVO has nothing but a x pipe, slip ons and a PV.

I work on the 04 constantly, the CVO gets washed and the routine maintenance on schedule.

why, the CVO really needs nothing to perform well. The 04, to make it perform took patience, cash and a willingness to modify the engine, trans, pulley, rear wheel, front wheel, the bars, the front end, etc..

hopefully, you understand my point.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:25 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

There is no denying the CVO bikes are remarkable things, but at 167% the cost of an Ultra it is easy to see why the cheaper bikes are popular. An Ultra with 120R kit would cut it for me!

Quick Reply: 103 or 110