Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes too loud for touring!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 11:51 AM
thirstybob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyFLHX
Why not consider MGS true duals? They give a nice bark when WOT but for cruising they mellow out nicely. Can easily hear radio on highway and dont get that annoying loud pipe headache after a day of riding. Check their facebook for discounts or sales on ful systems or slipons.
I love my MGS exhaust. Very mello at a cruise.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:56 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the exact system you're thinking about.Stock de-catted header with American Customs bomber slip-ons.The Bombers with their mid rumble baffles sounded to me exactly like my stock mufflers with the de-catted head pipe.So I did what almost everyone else does pulled the mid rumble baffles out and drilled extra holes in them 4 to be exact.That's the nice thing about their baffles they can be as loud or quiet as you want.That said, why not save the money and de-cat your header and throw the stockers back on if your like it you're dollars ahead if not send your mufflers to them for a recore and you'll have plenty of baffle choices.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:51 PM
mistersandman202
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
I have the exact system you're thinking about.Stock de-catted header with American Customs bomber slip-ons.The Bombers with their mid rumble baffles sounded to me exactly like my stock mufflers with the de-catted head pipe.So I did what almost everyone else does pulled the mid rumble baffles out and drilled extra holes in them 4 to be exact.That's the nice thing about their baffles they can be as loud or quiet as you want.That said, why not save the money and de-cat your header and throw the stockers back on if your like it you're dollars ahead if not send your mufflers to them for a recore and you'll have plenty of baffle choices.
Lots of great input!
I think SpecialEd has the right idea. I can't see buying a whole new system. I think I'll stick with this idea and see how it works on my next trip.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:59 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

i decatted my stock header and have american custom mufflers, don't run the baffles right now but only takes 5 min. to install. you can drill more holes in the baffles if you want and make it as loud as you chose. with the baffles in it's almost sounds stock, unless you drill them. good cheap way to go, plus they fit with good chrome as they are an HD part.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:22 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I love to tour, but hate the ringing ears at the end of the day. Earplugs don't seen to help with the deep bass notes.

The ringing in the ears is likely wind noise damage not the pipes

Old 12-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I must be tone deaf....I used to run drag pipes as a kid, graduated to loud mufflers and now I run V&H true Duals and Monster Ovals on my Hot Rod Electra Glide and Power Duals with Monster Rounds on my Limited. To me, they don't sound much louder than stock.....

Old 12-20-2013, 03:26 PM
mistersandman202
Cruiser

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
I love to tour, but hate the ringing ears at the end of the day. Earplugs don't seen to help with the deep bass notes.

The ringing in the ears is likely wind noise damage not the pipes
I just had some custom earplugs made by an audiologist for riding and shooting! It definitely cuts the wind noise, but not so much the low rumble. My ears still ring after a long ride, so I know it's the pipes.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:58 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I love all the folks that run out and and spend a bunch of money to make noise then bitch because it is too loud???? Pick up some fatshots/nightsticks and tune in the noise ya can stand.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 12-20-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Ozark Azz
Intermediate

Been through the loud exhaust also and for long touring they got old fast. When I got my 2013 Limited I wanted to get rid of the heat, increase torque without killing fuel mileage, and get a deeper rumble without the loudness. What worked for me was installing FullSac head pipes, keeping stock mufflers because I liked the looks of them, and using X-ieds a(variable). For the nominal cost I got just what I wanted. Over 42 mpg, sound that I am happy with, and a cooler running engine. Other riders don't mind following me when riding in a group and my wife doesn't complain about the ringing ears.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:37 PM
ISLANDER1089
Cruiser

I bought a 2009 Street Glide with a set of loud slip ons, a brand that has not been mentioned on any previous threads, and wanted something much quieter for touring. My local Harley dealer suggested the Screaming Eagle Street Cannons which Harley claims are free flowing but still legal. I took their suggestion but I'm not totally happy. These cans sound awesome idling and on the highway with no significant load. What I don't like is the annoying sound with a heavy throttle and also on decel. I'm considering going to the stock mufflers. Many people talk about decated head pipes. How do I know if my pipes are decated? Also, if I have a stage one a/c will I lose performance by going to a stock muffler?

Quick Reply: Pipes too loud for touring!