Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes too loud for touring!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:54 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
For those that don't know - the potato potato sound of the old motors is because of the ignition system.

and the hemi heads, and the coarse fuel mixture and the retarded timing and the stock 2/1 exhaust....etc.
of course the valvetrain and gear driven cam, timing and generator is about louder than the exhaust

what i was getting at with my 40 HP comment was that the new machines are that much better.

I could really only think about heading for Sturgis on the '53FLF with a support van. the new bikes I can just go.

i am still thinking about selling cd's of my panhead- guys with monster stereos can play them in the parking lot.

BTW recordings of a number of my bikes are used on the Simpsons

mike

Old 04-23-2014, 01:11 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just my thinking but if the pipes are too loud for you wouldn't they be too loud for others as well? There's nothing like the quiet roar of a passing HD bike but if I can hear them coming from miles away, well that's just too loud.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:47 PM
biker_ded
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the American Customs on my '14 Ultra with stock header. They are nowhere near too loud for me!! Nice deep sound.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:58 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will need to put some headphones on. Here is the 107 build I did.
It is the full Fuelmoto 107 kit with the 555 cams and the level b heads.
Got the stainless jackpot header pipes and the 09 model Supertrap stout mufflers. They are quieter than the 2010 and newer model.
This was the 1st time I cranked the bike and i let it run for 30 seconds.
See if these mufflers are too loud for you.

http://s171.photobucket.com/user/car..._0418.mp4.html

Old 04-23-2014, 04:23 PM
BornTexan
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mistersandman202
?........I love to tour, but hate the ringing ears at the end of the day. Earplugs don't seen to help with the deep bass notes. ............!
Sorry didn't read all the post but I'd get better earplugs? I shoot large cal pistols and rifles weekly and they have great ear plugs out there. A couple 2-3 years ago at Sturgis I got fitted by Mark Hood of Fit-Ear with some ear plugs that cut all sound out. I use them at the range, combat center and while riding. I will NOT ride on the highway without the ear plugs.

www.fit-ear.com

o~\o

Last edited by BornTexan; 04-23-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:44 PM
9one1
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
some of the riders here are on set 3 or 4. $$$$ ( makes for happy advertisers)

suggest you throw the stock mufflers on your power duals for now and see if you like that ( some riders like the stockers, with a no cat header like the PD )

and take the time to hear other rider's bikes.

I use supertrapp disk tuned mufflers, about as loud or quiet as the rider wants while retaining hi flow.
( screaming eagle branded fatshots and nightstsicks are supertrapps)

There is another similar thread running, OP you may want to read through that

also, if you wear a full helmet, each helmet cavity will resonate at a different frequency- that may be a contributor.

mike
So agree with the helmet comment! I had Rinehart slip on's on my Cop Glide and could not wear a full face helmet without getting a headache. My 14 FLHXS with the V&H double slash rounds are fine. Different tone to them no drone and no headache and that's with NO ear plugs. Keep that in mind when you buy new pipes.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:06 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Forums are really neat in a way. CVO guys all like Fullsac pipes and baffles. Here? It's American Custom.

I have a 120r bike and have been listening to cans myself. Crusher Mellows is what I am going to go with, once I make some money to do so. Those and a V&H X pipe seems to work very well with bigger engines. This combo can produce some serious power. Have seen this get up to 145 square.

I'm tired of the D&D Boss pipe that I have used for 4 years. I knew the D&D was a bit loud for my tastes when I put them on a 107 I had. The 120 made them louder by a good margin, too. I will do a few more bike nights in Columbus, but I think I will go with the Mellows, tune the bike again, and enjoy getting totally lost in WV this year a few times. I may trap my D&D Boss pipe and try that. From Summit racing, you can get a blank SuperTrapp muffler for a couple hundred and have to weld a bracket for the hanger. Don't know... but THAT would be the cheapest for me and still be able to stay above 120 sq.

One thing I WILL say, though... I have NEVER seen a pipe last as long and stay with perfect chrome as D&Ds do. When I think of nice chrome, I have never actually seen ANY pipe or muffler have such nice chrome, even when new.

I simply HATE exhaust buying time. Maybe the ONLY thing I have going is I can ask around to my friends with dynos and ask what combination doesn't kill power... the rest is so subjective.

Oh... been there done that... give me a Twin Cam ANY day of the week. They have their own sound and... I, myself, like the sound and do NOT wish for another Shovel.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 04-23-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:08 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Yes, just put the stock back on.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:33 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
... I have NEVER seen a pipe last as long and stay with perfect chrome as D&Ds do. When I think of nice chrome, I have never actually seen ANY pipe or muffler have such nice chrome, even when new.
I had in my hands today a set of supertrapp supermegs which have been mounted on 4 bikes over the past 15 years.
Just repacked them again.
The chrome looks fine

the supertrapp 2/1 has been on my FXR for 24 years (!), stainless so it turned a nice golden tone.
Got my money out of that one too.

Mike

Old 04-24-2014, 02:10 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by load97
Anyone try Klock Werx mufflers? How loud are they? Looks like they have 2-3 styles.
I ran these for several years in the 3.5 inch and always got compliments from those who rode behind me. They were perfect in my opinion. (on V&H Dresser Duals)

http://www.khromewerks.com/HP-Plus-M...065-234-1.html

Quick Reply: Pipes too loud for touring!