Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes too loud for touring!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 10:21 AM
mistersandman202
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipes too loud for touring!

As soon as I got my '14 SGS I dropped a bunch of dough to change out the pipes to V&H Power Duals with Monster Ovals. I love the deep sound around town, but tire of it quickly when doing serious touring (anything over 2-3 hours). I love to tour, but hate the ringing ears at the end of the day. Earplugs don't seen to help with the deep bass notes.
So I'm looking at my options. Thinking of de-catting my stock pipes & getting American Custom to modify my stock mufflers so I can change baffles. Anybody have any input on the American Custom Tone-Flex system?
I guess i can dump the V&H on EBay! Another expensive lesson!!!!

Old 12-20-2013, 10:28 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Why not consider MGS true duals? They give a nice bark when WOT but for cruising they mellow out nicely. Can easily hear radio on highway and dont get that annoying loud pipe headache after a day of riding. Check their facebook for discounts or sales on ful systems or slipons.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:29 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

some of the riders here are on set 3 or 4. $$$$ ( makes for happy advertisers)

suggest you throw the stock mufflers on your power duals for now and see if you like that ( some riders like the stockers, with a no cat header like the PD )

and take the time to hear other rider's bikes.

I use supertrapp disk tuned mufflers, about as loud or quiet as the rider wants while retaining hi flow.
( screaming eagle branded fatshots and nightstsicks are supertrapps)

There is another similar thread running, OP you may want to read through that

also, if you wear a full helmet, each helmet cavity will resonate at a different frequency- that may be a contributor.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-20-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:37 AM
rockajet1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mistersandman202
As soon as I got my '14 SGS I dropped a bunch of dough to change out the pipes to V&H Power Duals with Monster Ovals. I love the deep sound around town, but tire of it quickly when doing serious touring (anything over 2-3 hours). I love to tour, but hate the ringing ears at the end of the day. Earplugs don't seen to help with the deep bass notes.
So I'm looking at my options. Thinking of de-catting my stock pipes & getting American Custom to modify my stock mufflers so I can change baffles. Anybody have any input on the American Custom Tone-Flex system?
I guess i can dump the V&H on EBay! Another expensive lesson!!!!
I went through the same thing with the Monster Ovals, but it wasn't the volume. I've had Rineharts and V&H Pro Pipes that were both louder, but nice sounding. The MO's have a drone to them that are at a certain frequency that drove my ears crazy. And going through a tunnel with those pipes hit me like a dog whistle. I actually sold mine here on the forum and since they were practically brand new and perfect, I didn't take too bad of a hit. They are a popular pipe. Good luck!

Old 12-20-2013, 10:48 AM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Stock mufflers are 150 mm, I went to rush 175 mm and have not looked back. I have repacked them once and rush is great to deal with.www.rushracingproducts.com/harleyseries.htm Saving whats left of my hearing.Mine are on 2012 Ultra with stage one and no cat.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:08 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

American Custom Exhaust is a good choice, but may be too loud. The stock mufflers are very good performers with a decat or true dual headers. The stock cans have a pleasant note louder after decat.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:14 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

Original pipe with CAT and Monster Ovals might be what you are looking for.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:16 AM
glider1993
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the dresser duals with monster rounds and don't think they are loud at all. They have a deeper sound but not loud by no means. I tried different ear plugs, the wind noise bothers me more than anything, finally got the airsoft rubber earplugs that you reuse over and over and I can ride all day. cut the cord off and good to go. Keep changing exhaust can be costly, trust me. try a different ear plug before spending more on exhaust.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:19 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would look at the Supertrapp Stouts, 09 model mufflers,
They are much quieter. 4" mufflers.
I wouldn't go to true duals. You loose bottom end power.

Might take about 9 months for them to start sounding better.

Or a super trapp supermeg 2in1.

Here is a set of Supertrapp Supermeg I put on a 08 EG.
They have a great sound and they are very good on performance.

Click on this link.

http://s171.photobucket.com/user/car...70749.mp4.html

Old 12-20-2013, 11:44 AM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Been there, I had Reinhart 2:1 system that was fine around town but on a long trip a bit much for me and fellow riders. Now have Fuel Moto 2-1-2 header with S&S SPO mufflers. Not cheap but much nicer on a trip. Performance wise i lost 1 HP when we retuned the bike.

Quick Reply: Pipes too loud for touring!