Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Shock Ohlin or JRI

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 11:34 AM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Which Shock Ohlin or JRI

Before anyone says anything about doing a search for this, I have already done a search and read for hours on all the posts on here. So that being said please help me decide.

I have called Howard at Motorcycle Metals yesterday. Before talking to him I thought I was gonna buy the Ohlins. Not that he confused me but he introduced me to the JRI shock brand. He has more knowledge of suspensions than anyone I've ever talked to.

Have read on here that everyone is satisfied with the ones they have gotten and have been able to get dialed in.

It seems to me after talking with Howard that the JRI's have a little more quality control in their product. The Ohlin's he gets and takes them apart and builds them the way he feels is best for you. The JRI's he trusts the factory to build them the way he feels is best for you plus he says the parts are inspected individually for quality. By this I'm leaning to the JRI shocks.

I ride a 13 Limited, 70% solo and 30% two up. I'm 200 lbs and wife doesn't weight that. Won't say how much she is to protect my well being. We put about 10,000 miles on a year of twisties and back roads mostly.

If I was to go with the Ohlin would you recommend the #2 or the #3? If was to go with the JRI would you recommend the A or B?

He gave me all this info on both and it was or is a lot to take in and make my decision of the one I should go to. it seems that both are pretty close but would like input from experienced riders of both.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:39 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

I've got the jri b,they are a work of art,all metal happy with the ride , I've got more than a few # than u and my wife well....ride 2 up 90% so far they are great.only tool need for adjustment is a screw driver to knock the locking ring loose.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Or go with the #6 Ohlins and forget about the comparison:

Old 12-22-2013, 11:54 AM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
I've got the jri b,they are a work of art,all metal happy with the ride , I've got more than a few # than u and my wife well....ride 2 up 90% so far they are great.only tool need for adjustment is a screw driver to knock the locking ring loose.
+1 on JRI b. The quality of the machining on the billet (not cast) components alone will amaze you. The ride is phenomenal. Made in USA.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Old 12-22-2013, 12:11 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Doesn't matter. Don't get caught up in the names. Just get the ones that fit your budget and needs best. Just because someone says they like one or the better doesn't mean squat. It usually means they are trying to justify their purchase to everyone else. Both brands are excellent and Howards experience with set up makes the difference. There is no "best" only best for you. Are you a fiddler? Get *****. Are you a set and forget person? Don't get *****. Do you ride aggressively? Get 13" shocks. Are you the type that has to buy the "best" to impress others? Get the most expensive. Answering these questions honestly will help you find the best choice for you. There will be NO difference between brands if you get the same adjustability. NO difference.

Last edited by qtrracer; 12-22-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:19 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

I've owned both the Ohlins #3 and the JRI B. The JRI's the better shock. Construction-wise, the JRI is all metal and adjusts easier. There's also an additional 15mm (19/32") of stroke.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:20 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Doesn't matter. Don't get caught up in the names. Just get the ones that fit your budget and needs best. Just because someone says they like one or the better doesn't mean squat. It usually means they are trying to justify their purchase to everyone else. Both brands are excellent and Howards experience with set up makes the difference. There is no "best" only best for you. Are you a fiddler? Are you a set and forget person? Do you ride aggressively? Are you the type that has to buy the "best" to impress others? Answering these questions honestly will help you find the best choice for you.
I don't mind the changing the settings, like Howard suggested keep a log and when changing from solo to two up should be a simple step. I'm not real aggressive but like to feel the need sometimes. As far as having the best to impress, NO. Shocks are one thing most people don't even see or worry about. Just want the best possible ride I can get for my money spent.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:23 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by '05Train
I've owned both the Ohlins #3 and the JRI B. The JRI's the better shock. Construction-wise, the JRI is all metal and adjusts easier. There's also an additional 15mm (19/32") of stroke.
Yes the extra length would be good to help from bottoming out, that is what really hurts the better half's enjoyment. And that in return helps me to have a more enjoyable ride.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:35 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

The Ohlins has the most travel in the 2-3 version. Like I said every guy will come on here and tell you the the shock they chose is the best. Howards advice will be unbiased on which one to choose. Either one is far and away better than anyone needs on these bikes, but we all like to think we need the best, lol.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:17 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
The Ohlins has the most travel in the 2-3 version. Like I said every guy will come on here and tell you the the shock they chose is the best. Howards advice will be unbiased on which one to choose. Either one is far and away better than anyone needs on these bikes, but we all like to think we need the best, lol.
Opinions are subjective. The op asked for recommendations. Instead you are giving him who he should and should not listen to. He asked for opinions on shocks, not opinions on people you may or may not agree with. JMO.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Quick Reply: Which Shock Ohlin or JRI