Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Figured out USB playlists on the 2014 Boom Box 6.5

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 11:02 PM
jervi30
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I'm trying to figure out the playlist thing when you say you used
Brian\01 Rock Me Tonight.mp3

where did you get the "Brian\01" from?
How do figure out what do that for my own system?

For example my current m3u playlist looks like this

#EXTINF:0,01-01- I Hold On.mp3
E:\music\Dierks Bentley\I Hold On\01-01- I Hold On.mp3

What should I change the path to?

Thanks!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:42 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ejvette
There is a couple of freeware programs out there that will generate .m3u files (playlists) Besides ipods or generic MP3 players are so cheap these days and easy to create playlists on why even bother with all the extra work for a USB stick?
While I basically agree with you on this, I have discovered one thing. The USB stick is much quicker to respond than the old iphone 4 i wiped and am using as an Ipod to use in the bike. The phone has much more lag when changing tracks etc.

Dunno how other ipods would be.

Another hitch, the iphone is running ios 7, which is pretty doggy on that old of a iphone, dunno if thats the reason why or not.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:42 AM
RocketHD1975
Novice

Hey this is good stuff, though I do believe running a vbs script is a windows thing, Mac wont let you do this. I reviewed the vbs script, and cant find what it replaces the file location string with. Does it take it away? When I go over to a PC and drag and drop the m3u file on the vbs script it tells me its empty....... any ideas?

Old 09-03-2014, 08:00 AM
RocketHD1975
Novice

Originally Posted by ScottKY
So this is my attempt, as a newbie around here, to contribute to the forum. I managed to find a way to do playlists on a USB stick. There are probably simpler ways, but this works for me.

I use iTunes to create and manage playlists, and it's possible to export an iTunes playlist in .m3u format to a USB stick. The .m3u file is just a text file that points to the songs, it's not the actual song files. The problem is that the .m3u file that you export contains path references (example: C:\mymusic\itunes....). Obviously, when you put the song files on the USB stick, the path references are wrong and the Infotainment system can't find the songs.

So I ran across a Visual Basic script called LocaliseM3U that someone made that removes the path references from the .m3u file, which solves the problem. So here's what I do, and it seems to work.

1. Download and save the the LocaliseM3U file to your thumb drive. I put mune in the same folder where I want my music to reside.

2. In iTunes, select the playlist you want to export, right-click and save the the file in .m3u format on the USB stick. This just creates the .m3u file. It doesn't copy the actual songs over.

3. In the iTunes song panel, select all of the songs in the playlist, then copy-paste them to the USB stick. This copies the actual song files.

4. Navigate to the USB stick folder that contains the song files, the .m3u file, and the LocaliseM3u script.

5. Drag the .m3u file, which will have the same name as your playlist, on top of the Localisem3u.vbs file. You'll get a dialog box asking you to confirm that you want to remove the absolute path references for x number of entries in the .m3u file. Click OK, and you're done.

Sounds complicated, but it's actually pretty simple. Like I said, there are probably simpler ways to do this, but this was the first one I found that worked for me.

Scott
Here is a paste of what the .m3u file looks like as an export from itunes. The issue Im having is the boom system sees the playlist no problem, but obviously the file extention is how wrong for the music that is now on the USB drive. How would root folder be listed on my usb. The USB is labeled MIMOBOT, all the files are in the root folder. so Im assuming it would be Volumes/MIMOBOT/[song name].... any ideas?

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:235,Fly from the Inside - Shinedown
/Volumes/Media/Music/iTunes/Shinedown/Leave a Whisper/01 Fly from the Inside.m4a
#EXTINF:231,Left Out - Shinedown
/Volumes/Media/Music/iTunes/Shinedown/Leave a Whisper/02 Left Out.m4a
#EXTINF:236,Lost in the Crowd - Shinedown
/Volumes/Media/Music/iTunes/Shinedown/Leave a Whisper/03 Lost in the Crowd.m4a
#EXTINF:226,No More Love - Shinedown
/Volumes/Media/Music/iTunes/Shinedown/Leave a Whisper/04 No More Love.m4a
#EXTINF:225,Better Version - Shinedown
/Volumes/Media/Music/iTunes/Shinedown/Leave a Whisper/05 Better Version.m4a
#EXTINF:226,Burning Bright - Shinedown
/Volumes/Media/Music/iTunes/Shinedown/Leave a Whisper/06 Burning Bright.m4a
#EXTINF:244,In Memory - Shinedown
/Volumes/Media/Music/iTunes/Shinedown/Leave a Whisper/07 In Memory.m4a
#EXTINF:250,All I Ever Wanted - Shinedown
/Volumes/Media/Music/iTunes/Shinedown/Leave a Whisper/08 All I Ever Wanted.m4a

Old 09-03-2014, 08:05 AM
jeepn
Novice

I found a good solution for me.

I had heard for years of DoubleTwist a program that lets you export sync your iTunes to your Android phone and play off the phone with a player similar to Apple's player.

I finally tried it last week, and it is pretty sweet.

The bonus is, it worked to sync my USB thumbdrive with iTunes, just like a phone. It copied over the playlists and everything. Like I said it worked with it just like an iPhone sync, it asked what playlists or artists and everything.

Hopefully some of you find this program useful too.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:39 AM
RocketHD1975
Novice
Default Good solution for Mac users and USB music player for BOOM

Originally Posted by jeepn
I found a good solution for me.

I had heard for years of DoubleTwist a program that lets you export sync your iTunes to your Android phone and play off the phone with a player similar to Apple's player.

I finally tried it last week, and it is pretty sweet.

The bonus is, it worked to sync my USB thumbdrive with iTunes, just like a phone. It copied over the playlists and everything. Like I said it worked with it just like an iPhone sync, it asked what playlists or artists and everything.

Hopefully some of you find this program useful too.
OK, Jeepn sent this solution over. Read above. It works great, a bit of fooling around, and you'll get it. https://www.doubletwist.com
This is great if you'd like to leave a cheap USB stick in your unlockable storage area (HD needs to put a key lock on this) This way your 250 dollar IPOD doesnt have to be taken with you every time you leave your bike in an unknown area. It will recognize USB sticks as a mounted Hard drive, and will allow you to transfer playlists to the USB drive. I do want to give a word of warning. Please make sure you have a back up of your Music library. Even though this program worked great, I've had issues in the past. Also when you first plug in the USB drive to your bike, the playlists will not work. Give the Boom system a little bit to fully map the USB drive, then you'll see success with the playlists.
JEEPN thanks again for the info on DoubleTwist. I was extremely frustrated at writing my own .m3u lists. It was getting a bit annoying.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:40 PM
ChapmanDKC
Stage I
Default Thanks Scott

Your step by step instructions just worked perfectly for me. Happy customer of a 2015 FLHTK.

Apple I-phone 4S running newest update iOS 8.0.2 which was NOT working when hard wired in to USB Port but worked ok by Bluetooth. The USB is way faster than using the phone.

So this is my attempt, as a newbie around here, to contribute to the forum. I managed to find a way to do playlists on a USB stick. There are probably simpler ways, but this works for me.

I use iTunes to create and manage playlists, and it's possible to export an iTunes playlist in .m3u format to a USB stick. The .m3u file is just a text file that points to the songs, it's not the actual song files. The problem is that the .m3u file that you export contains path references (example: C:\mymusic\itunes....). Obviously, when you put the song files on the USB stick, the path references are wrong and the Infotainment system can't find the songs.

So I ran across a Visual Basic script called LocaliseM3U that someone made that removes the path references from the .m3u file, which solves the problem. So here's what I do, and it seems to work.

1. Download and save the the LocaliseM3U file to your thumb drive. I put mune in the same folder where I want my music to reside.

2. In iTunes, select the playlist you want to export, right-click and save the the file in .m3u format on the USB stick. This just creates the .m3u file. It doesn't copy the actual songs over.

3. In the iTunes song panel, select all of the songs in the playlist, then copy-paste them to the USB stick. This copies the actual song files.

4. Navigate to the USB stick folder that contains the song files, the .m3u file, and the LocaliseM3u script.

5. Drag the .m3u file, which will have the same name as your playlist, on top of the Localisem3u.vbs file. You'll get a dialog box asking you to confirm that you want to remove the absolute path references for x number of entries in the .m3u file. Click OK, and you're done.

Sounds complicated, but it's actually pretty simple. Like I said, there are probably simpler ways to do this, but this was the first one I found that worked for me.

Scott

Last edited by ChapmanDKC; 10-02-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:42 PM
14Glide
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

"Girl Like You" by the Rascals? Now that brings back some memories from the 60's

Old 10-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Rockgeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using iTunes I simply copy and paste playlists to a USB thumb drive. Couldn't be any simpler and quicker. On infotainment screen , I choose Find, Albums and I have all my playlists and albums there to play. Simple, couple seconds process.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:34 PM
rooster3171
Cruiser

Scott

Scott:
Is this working fine for you? I am having a hell of a time with playlists on a thumb drive. If you have screenshots or anything else I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Figured out USB playlists on the 2014 Boom Box 6.5