Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Figured out USB playlists on the 2014 Boom Box 6.5

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 12:51 PM
rooster3171
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKY
Yeah, it's dead simple if you just want to select specific albums and/or artists. Or if you just want to randomly shuffle through all the music on the thumb drive. Where it gets a bit more complicated is when you want to use playlists that contain a mix of music from different artists and such.
ScottKY, you are absolutely correct! Lots of people here do not understand the problem. Yes, you can make folders on your USB and listen to them, you can even do artists, genre, etc., but when it comes to playlists it is totally different. I use MediaMonkey to create playlists and dump on the flash drive. This is free software and have been using it for years. If anyone wants step by step instructions on this let me know, PM me and I will send you the steps and maybe some pictures if I can.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:29 PM
valpal
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster3171
I use MediaMonkey to create playlists and dump on the flash drive. This is free software and have been using it for years.
Maybe some of you out there remember Winamp. I have always used and am still using it as my "daily" music player on a (Windows) PC. They ceased development a while back but it's still available and completely free. Creating a playlist there (m3u) couldn't be ANY easier (and yes, I do use MediaMonkey as well, but for other reasons): you simply add the song files you want played in the Winamp qeue (for instance via drag&drop or right click etc) and then chose "save playlist" and bam, there you have it! Copy that m3u-file and - obviously - the actual mp3 files to your stick. Voilà.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:58 PM
ScottKY
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster3171
ScottKY, you are absolutely correct! Lots of people here do not understand the problem. Yes, you can make folders on your USB and listen to them, you can even do artists, genre, etc., but when it comes to playlists it is totally different.
I think it just comes down to how you prefer to listen to your music. Personally, I tend to prefer themed playlists containing a certain type, or types, of music from different artists. I don't normally listen to a single artist or an entire album. Plus, I have around 4,000 songs in my iTunes library, and it's a very, very eclectic mix ranging from classical music to reggae to cheesy 80's pop to bluegrass to head-banging rock, etc. It's jarring to me to have Mr. Crowley followed by Afternoon Delight (not that I have Afternoon Delight in my collection, no sir, that would be, uh, well that would just be...eh, nevermind). So shuffling the entire 4,00 songs doesn't work for me.

Anyway, and I think I'm right on this, if you have playlists, you still have the ability to search by artist, album, genre, etc., but not the other way around.

So yeah, it's playlists for me. But to each his own.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:44 PM
swingdj
Intermediate

Thank you all for the notes but having some difficulty. The bike is reading the playlist but it can't find the songs. Here's what I did.
1. Added 1,000+ songs to USB drive (J:\)
2. Used Playlist Creator 3.6.2 to create playlist. Added songs directly from the J: drive. In the Playlist content screen, it even shows the location of the songs as J:\AC_DC\Back In Black
3. Create Playlist and saved to J:\
4. Inserted USB into bike. Waited for loading, then found the playlist. To the left of the name is a triangular-shaped warning sign and when I select the playlist there are no songs listed.

Thoughts?

Old 06-27-2016, 07:27 PM
ScottKY
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by swingdj
Thank you all for the notes but having some difficulty. The bike is reading the playlist but it can't find the songs. Here's what I did.
1. Added 1,000+ songs to USB drive (J:\)
2. Used Playlist Creator 3.6.2 to create playlist. Added songs directly from the J: drive. In the Playlist content screen, it even shows the location of the songs as J:\AC_DC\Back In Black
3. Create Playlist and saved to J:\
4. Inserted USB into bike. Waited for loading, then found the playlist. To the left of the name is a triangular-shaped warning sign and when I select the playlist there are no songs listed.

Thoughts?
I don't know that I can offer much help, as I'm not using Playlist Creator. Can your system find the songs if you search by artist and/or song title?

Old 08-09-2016, 05:20 PM
Medic713
Stage II

Originally Posted by .357 Magnum
I LOVE the .m3u handling of this stereo! Whatever gripes anyone may have about these '14s, this feature alone basically fixes EVERYTHING that was ever wrong with all preceding generations of stereos. I can load up my "favorites" list with different playlists, and fill up the USB stick with all kinds of finely-tweaked mixes. I have lists of audiobooks for the long interstate rides, classic rock or 80s pop/rock for all purposes, percussion-heavy trance/chillout for Arizona 89A just outside Jerome, recent "Now That's What I Call Music!" mixes for when a kid's on the back, etc. etc. etc. Now that Sirius XM has lowered their bitrates and sound noisier than ever, this stereo steps up with the features, file, and playlist handling to make it all okay.

Unlike the cassette and CD players of past generations, this stereo will keep doing the job well for decades.

Designflaw, do you have an Android-based phone? Google recently changed the Android operating system so that such phones won't function as a USB bulk storage device any more. So most car stereos (and this new Harley one) won't read it like a plain ol' USB stick. There are a few things you can do:

1. I currently work around the problem by just streaming via Bluetooth if there's something on the phone I want to hear. Fortunately, this doesn't happen very often, because most stuff I want to hear, I just transfer to the USB stick. It's too easy.

2. "Root" your phone (break the carrier's limitations that prevents phone owners from running any software they want) and install an app that restores "USB Bulk Storage" or "UBS" capability. Search the Play store for those terms.

3. Give Harley a few years to update the stereo software so that it speaks Android's new "Media Transport Protocol" (MTP). Though, be forewarned that many car manufacturers aren't updating their stereos at all. They're just saying, "hey, it's Google that screwed you by dropping this popular standard... complain to them."

I use option 1 but also like option 2; it works well for the Android phones my wife and I use in her Nissan. I just haven't done it to my current phone yet.
357, your post alone helped me in a big way to figure out just what to do about my situation. After I bought my bike last year and discovered that my Android just wasn't going to work with the bike the way I expect it should, I went in search for a solution. After reading your post, I figured the easiest thing to do would be to plug in something that speaks the right language. I put a post up on Facebook for an old, unwanted iPod or iPhone. I've never had one. I'm not an Apple person and before buying the bike, I've never been much into digital music. I'm a CD guy. So, I ended up trading a case of beer for an iPhone 4s in mint condition. I started loading up my CDs and everything works perfectly. That was my fix. Thanks brother!

Old 08-09-2016, 05:31 PM
Medic713
Stage II

Originally Posted by kalikali
This is complete nonsense! Harley needs to step up their game! Spent several hours trying to figure this USB out and havent figured it out, I am not going to go through my 10 gigs of music and rename all the files to the finicky ways of Harley. Why fiiddle with some bs script and apple nonsense? WE pay this much for a bike we shouldnt have to spend time with this USB vsb msb script bs. My 2010 ultra I upgraded the head unit with a top of the line pioneer $200 unit and have no problem playing my music. Harley cant put together a basic system that can read my basic USB stick that every car reads and every PC reads?! Plus on my $200 stereo I can easily stream Pandora.
I couldn't agree more that it's nonsense. I'm not pleased with the system either. It needs work.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:07 PM
Rdeluca
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man I can't seem to get this to work. Can someone who knows how to do it create a video? I searched you tube and can't believe there isn't anything on there.

Im using iTunes and a MAC

Old 06-22-2019, 01:48 PM
R.E.
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Question. New Member!

I've searched the site and I'm not finding an answer to this question, unless I've overlooked it: '15 FLHTUG (bought used last Fall with only about 1,500 miles on it!), came with a Boom Box 6.5. Been enjoying it well enough but I was curious if any of you knew of a way to download music into the unit so I didn't have to connect -or- BlueTooth one of my devices to it. No big deal if it's not possible, but it sure would be nice. Thanks in advance, and Ride Safe.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:39 PM
cemike
3rd Gear
Default 2014 HD Ultra Classic 4.3

I just load my songs on a 32 gig thumb drive. This usually works fine for me.
My issue:
Sometimes the system fails to read the thumb drive. When this happens, the system cannot connect to my Android via Bluetooth either. This usually happens after a fuel stop, but not always. When it starts working again the shuffle switch is no longer on.
Any ideas??
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Figured out USB playlists on the 2014 Boom Box 6.5