Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated grips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 04:11 PM
sgtmaxretired
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated grips?

2007 RKC
I live in Ohio and try to ride all year. I have a windshield and wear insulated pants and a heavy jacket. About all that gets cold are my hands. I tried a couple different pairs of gloves but they are out in the wind and always get cold eventually. I was looking in the HD P&A catalog and see a couple different heated grips listed. My Q is, are they worth the money? I do not want to spend good money on something that is low quality and will not last several years. I have two bikes but only ride the RK in the winter. Would I be ahead in buying heated gloves instead? How hard is it to install heated grips or is it something I should just let the dealer do so I don't pinch the wires or bugger up something?
Thanks

Old 12-26-2013, 04:19 PM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure on the installation because they came with my Limited, but I personally think the heated grips are a must have.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:22 PM
scottbess
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The heated grips were a 'nice to have' on my Limited when I bought it this summer. Now, I can't imagine not having them. Not sure about difficulty or expense of installation. Maybe heated gloves will do the trick cheaper, but I really like the grips.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heated gloves and wish I had the heated grips. My fingers are consistently on the cold side and with the heated gloves, only the outsides of my fingers get warm. The grip side get cold.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:26 PM
JumpJetJock
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waste of money

Put heated grips on my RKC. Didn't really help since the tops of my hands are what get cold. Heated grips don't help that (much). Ski shops have effective battery heated gloves - pricey but effective. I ride all winter too here in PA.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Rdgray
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The heated grips are nice, BUT on fairing bikes we have a little extra protection. The faring helps protect our hands

Old 12-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I had them installed on my 99 FLHT when they HD introduced the heated grips in the P&A catalog sometime around 2003 or 2004. Absolutely rank up there as one of the best touring accessories I purchased. When I purchased my 2008 FLHTC, the dealer asked "when do you want to take delivery?" I said: "How soon can you put a set of heated grips on it?". Funny, in 99 I rode out to sturgis and my buddy had aftermarket heated grips on his '88 Ultra - I didn't realize it. after riding back to campground one cool drizzly night, I noticed he wasn't wearing gloves - I said "don't your hands get cold?" - he said "feel my grips". They were hot - so I called him a pu$$y. Couple years later, I have them on my bike and will never own another without them.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:35 PM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have both heated grips and gloves, I was warm in 18f.also have the gerbing jacket and wish I had heated pants.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by av ultra
I have both heated grips and gloves, I was warm in 18f.also have the gerbing jacket and wish I had heated pants.
and socks. My feet can get cold too at 25 degrees, even with the pods. Thanx to my medication, my feet and hands are always cold. Even in summer.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:46 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Love my grips in the winter. Can even gat away with lighter gloves with fairing to stop a lot of the wind

Quick Reply: Heated grips?