Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Air Ride Solenoid Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 11:46 PM
BFC-CO Ram
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Air Ride Solenoid Question

Hey all...

I've got my air ride system installed on my 2003 Road King I'm having an issue with the solenoid.

I have this one: http://www.stcvalve.com/3_Way_Direct...ions-3V110.htm

Did I get the wrong one or is it defective?

I can get the system to air up by having it set up this way - (Compressor > A > EA) Which doesn't purge but if it's wired the "correct" way - (Compressor > P > A) I get no air to the shocks.

Any ideas folks? I'm tired and need to grab some sleep but I'll get back to it tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by BFC-CO Ram; 12-28-2013 at 12:22 AM. Reason: I was apparently so tired that I stopped typing mid-sentence
Old 12-28-2013, 07:13 AM
smprfi0231
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BFC-CO Ram
Hey all...

I've got my air ride system installed on my 2003 Road King I'm having an issue with the solenoid.

I have this one: http://www.stcvalve.com/3_Way_Direct...ions-3V110.htm

Did I get the wrong one or is it defective?

I can get the system to air up by having it set up this way - (Compressor > A > EA) Which doesn't purge but if it's wired the "correct" way - (Compressor > P > A) I get no air to the shocks.

Any ideas folks? I'm tired and need to grab some sleep but I'll get back to it tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated.
Are you running it with a tank? That's a three way valve which is for set ups with tanks. One way fills from the tank one way dumps and the other way is off. You can get a decent solenoid on Amazon if you want to move away from that one

Old 12-28-2013, 08:18 AM
BFC-CO Ram
6th Gear

Originally Posted by smprfi0231
Are you running it with a tank? That's a three way valve which is for set ups with tanks. One way fills from the tank one way dumps and the other way is off. You can get a decent solenoid on Amazon if you want to move away from that one
Well then that's my problem...maybe I'll grab an old paintball tank or something and do it that way. Any pointers on how to wire all that up?

Old 12-28-2013, 08:24 AM
smprfi0231
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BFC-CO Ram

Well then that's my problem...maybe I'll grab an old paintball tank or something and do it that way. Any pointers on how to wire all that up?
You don't have to run a tank if you don't want to. But basically just run the airline to the solenoid and the compressor to the air tank. When I get mine set up this winter I'll just be running a compressor and a dump valve.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:41 AM
chester1957
Road Warrior

This valve does not have a hold position. It is either open P to A or A to EA. Air would either go to exhaust or back thru the compressor. You could plumb a one way check valve into the pressure line between the compressor and the valve. But you are relying on that check valve for a fairly critical suspension component.

Last edited by chester1957; 12-28-2013 at 08:52 AM. Reason: read up on valve
Old 12-28-2013, 11:25 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would get a simple soleniod and put it on there. had no problems with my set up. got mine off ebay for like 15-20 bucks

Old 12-28-2013, 12:34 PM
smprfi0231
Cruiser
Old 12-28-2013, 11:24 PM
DD Dont
Cruiser

I drew this up utilizing the valve you already have. Hope it helps.

When you hit the dump switch it will connect port P to port A which will release the compressed air in the shock into the atmosphere. I added a muffler but probably not necessary. When the valve is not energized the P port is blocked internally and port A is connected to port EA.

Name:  valve.jpg
Views: 5950
Size:  36.3 KB

Old 12-29-2013, 11:19 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I used a dump valve for a lincoln continental but had a problem finding the right size tubing. So I went with one of these. http://www.ridetech.com/store/electr...1500-kit..html. Have not had any issues since I did that. You have the wires going to the compressor & the switch is in between the compressor & the shocks. very simple. Since I went to True Duals I made a box for it to mount in by the starter. Will try to get a pic up if you would like.

Toby

Old 12-29-2013, 01:09 PM
JohnCA58
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done over 30 air ride installs, in the beginning I was using solenoids and had quite a few failures on the road with solenoids taking a crap. took them all off and started installing dump valves (4.00 bucks) with 4 hole blocks. have not had a failure yet with simple mechanical valve. this pic show it on the right side, since have them installed on the left side so adjustments can be made while riding with clutch side hand.

Name:  airride05.jpg
Views: 4297
Size:  83.1 KB

Quick Reply: DIY Air Ride Solenoid Question