Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WIred intercom on 14 SG/SGS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:21 PM
NCBondsman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After looking up the procedure for increasing the volume of the passenger headset in the book, it says to talk into the rider headset then increase the volume with the left toggle. The screenshot in the book shows separate volumes for front and rear. on my bike it just says intercom volume. Now, I am certain it is a software issue and not my wiring. I have two options now. First is to see if the dealership is able to activate the rear headset speaker volume control by flashing it as if it were an ultra or just make some temporary jumpers to allow sound to the passenger from the rider headset. If I go the jumper route, my wife will be able to hear everything I do like the phone and whatnot. That may be the only route if they cannot flash the radio correctly.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:44 AM
Nick956
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NCBondsman
Alright...now that this thread was hi-jacked. Back to topic.. I installed my custom harness, took it to the dealer. They flashed it and updated the radio. I only tested it by blowing into each mic, rider and passenger and intercom lit up great. Now, I can hear and talk fine. I can hear my wife, but she can't hear me. Figured I messed up a connection and would tackle it tonight. Well, after a couple of hours of troubleshooting, the flash for the street glide does not turn on the rear headset speakers. Damn MoCo. Now i have to make another trip to see if they are able to turn them on.
Sorry I "Hi-Jacked" the thread. I was only looking for help.

Attached Thumbnails WIred intercom on 14 SG/SGS?-bike.jpg  
Old 01-13-2014, 04:45 AM
nuages
Cruiser

Hey NCBondsman, I do so hope that the Tech can just flash it like an Ultra.....after all your hard work and ....selfishly.......it will save me $$$$$$$.....not having to purchase the 6.5. There is no option in the UK to upgrade to the 6.5 when you order your bike,for a comparatively low amount of cash. Its pay out $2000 and try and get rid of the 4.3 somehow....for some cash.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:30 PM
NCBondsman
Cruiser

Well after a second trip to the dealer, I will have to wait until they come up with the passenger kit for the intercom. When they flash the radio, it is done through the plug under the left side cover. It brings up your bike on their computer and will only let you update for that bike. Unless I can find someone that is more knowledgable with the HD system and can manipulate it to believe it is an ultra and flash accordingly, I am stuck.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Scott14SG
Tourer

Received 71 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting, I would really like to get an hour or two on the digital tech computer. I've contact all the local guys I know that know dealer techs, I just haven't been able to connect with one yet. It's pretty silly that this stuff can't be turned on with a few simple clicks of a mouse.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:08 PM
Nick956
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Scott14SG
Interesting, I would really like to get an hour or two on the digital tech computer. I've contact all the local guys I know that know dealer techs, I just haven't been able to connect with one yet. It's pretty silly that this stuff can't be turned on with a few simple clicks of a mouse.
Scott, first of all thanks for all the advice. Appreciate it. Spent last night on the Digital Tech with my friend trying to figure out my problem with the not being able to talk when making a phone call, or using voice commands. We narrowed it down to a Bad communication cable, so waiting for new one so we can swap out. During this time, he said he went to a class the night before, and they showed him how to activate everything, other than adding rear speakers, through the radio. He is going to show me this later in the week. When I find out, I will pass along.

Attached Thumbnails WIred intercom on 14 SG/SGS?-bike.jpg  
Old 01-16-2014, 05:20 PM
NCBondsman
Cruiser

I watched them flash mine. Once the screen pops up and they choose "radio" there are all the options to turn on or off everything. 1 or 2 amps, rear speakers, cb, intercom, etc... it is pretty basic, all they do is check all the boxes for what you have and flash it.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:30 AM
nuages
Cruiser

Just to revisit this.....having purchased 2 headsets.
What puzzles me is that Scott14SG was able to have his radio flashed to enable the CB radio to work...despite the bike being an FLHX.....all the dealers say CB and an SG are incompatible......so why not the same for mere intercom capability.

I contacted HD customer services.....they said that they have no access to technical staff, but that the Dealer can contact HD Techies.....to source a solution.
Anyone any further forward with this ?????
If you install a 6-5 Infotainment on an FLHX surely the intercom would work...so I am not clear about the bike being the 'problem'.

Last edited by nuages; 02-24-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:43 AM
NCBondsman
Cruiser

The problem lies with the intercom flash. There are 2 different flashes for the intercom. On the ultras, it turns on the rear headset speakers. On the sgs, it just turns on the mic in the rear amd no speakers. There really isnt anything other than waiting on HD to come out with a passenger headset harness and an appropriate flash.
When the dealership plugs in your bike to access the radio, your bike tells the computer which model it is and the computer will only flash what is available for your model. Unfortunately the complete intercom setup is not an option.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:48 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by nuages
Just to revisit this.....having purchased 2 headsets.
What puzzles me is that Scott14SG was able to have his radio flashed to enable the CB radio to work...despite the bike being an FLHX.....all the dealers say CB and an SG are incompatible......so why not the same for mere intercom capability.

I contacted HD customer services.....they said that they have no access to technical staff, but that the Dealer can contact HD Techies.....to source a solution.
Anyone any further forward with this ?????
If you install a 6-5 Infotainment on an FLHX surely the intercom would work...so I am not clear about the bike being the 'problem'.
Looking at the wiring diagrams in the service manual, the SG does not have the same wiring harness as the Limited/Ultra. The differences specifically include the lack of passenger headset accommodation. Without that wiring, no changes in the software will work. As NCB has already posted, even after making up your own passenger wiring, there are other issues that need work-arounds before it does what you want it to....

Quick Reply: WIred intercom on 14 SG/SGS?