Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WIred intercom on 14 SG/SGS?

Old 12-28-2013, 08:30 PM
NCBondsman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WIred intercom on 14 SG/SGS?

Has anybody installed (made) a passenger 7-pin connector for rider/passenger intercom? I have the rider headset connector pigtail that plugs into connector P&A Audio 280 under the fairing. Looking at it and referencing the service manual electrical diagrams for both the Electra Glide and the Street Glide, that connector has plugs where the wires go for the passenger headset. It should be as easy as procuring a 7-pin din connector, wiring it and running the corresponding wires to the connector with MX150 pins. Plug it into connector 280 and have the radio flashed like it is on an EG. It should work with the built in voice activated mic. Does that sound about right?
I will be doing a bunch of work tomorrow on the bike and don't want to install that cable until I give this a shot.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:44 PM
NCBondsman
Cruiser

Nobody??? Guess I will be the guinea pig on this one. I will goto the dealership and talk to parts and service to see if they have the parts to fabricate this. The MX150 crimper is kind of expensive so I would rather pay them to crimp the ends.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:47 AM
Scott14SG
Tourer

Received 71 Likes on 26 Posts

I've done it, easy install but right now it's rider only. Check out the CB install thread in the audio section. I'm getting my radio re-flashed Thursday and will try posting the complete install directions.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:39 AM
NCBondsman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Scott14SG
I've done it, easy install but right now it's rider only. Check out the CB install thread in the audio section. I'm getting my radio re-flashed Thursday and will try posting the complete install directions.
I have the same harness to make it rider only. The plug is the same as the plug on an ultra only missing the wires for the passenger headset. I believe the newer boom radios don't have PTT for intercom (voice activated mic) just CB (Bike to Bike) requires PTT to activate the CB transmit. If I don't need the CB and only want intercom, I should be able to acquire a connector port for the passenger and wire it to corresponding pins on the p&a connector (280). Then have the radio flashed as if it were an ultra. We will see. Going to the dealership this week to talk to some techs.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Scott14SG
Tourer

I have the CB as well as the lighted switches so I have the PTT on the right controls. I tested my intercom/headset the other day and when you speak into the mic the intercom icon lights up as if it's active, but with no passenger set I can't tell you if it works but I wasn't touching the PTT button. The voice activated commands do work well though. Let me know how you make out with the passenger connector if you install that.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:44 PM
NCBondsman
Cruiser

I will definitely let you know and post a how to if it does work. I should have it all in within a couple of weeks. I am dismantling all the chrome (except for the motor)to be powdercoated right now. Just have to remove fork lowers and off to the powdercoaters tomorrow. I will swing by the dealership to see if there is someone competent enough to wire my connector.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:58 AM
Scott14SG
Tourer

Thanks! I'm getting my radio flashed for the second time today, first dealer screwed it up then wanted to charge me to "diagnose" the problem. So I'm trying another dealer today, have my fingers crossed.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:24 PM
NCBondsman
Cruiser

Today I purchased a second riders connection kit. I didn't have the special tool to de-pin the connector so I made one out of a jewlers screwdriver. I removed the connector from the passenger line. Had to solder 3 wires to 3 wires on the riders harness, then plug the remaining 3 into their corresponding slots. now I just have to put the bike back together and take it to get it flashed to see if it works. I will post the diagram and exact step by step instructions if it works. It will be a couple of weeks though. Be patient. I know I am not being patient.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:26 AM
Nick956
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott14SG
Thanks! I'm getting my radio flashed for the second time today, first dealer screwed it up then wanted to charge me to "diagnose" the problem. So I'm trying another dealer today, have my fingers crossed.

I just installed the Boom 6.5 in my bike as well as the communications link cable. I can answer phone calls now, but do not hear any audio through my headset, only through the speakers. Do I need to have radio flashed, or do I have a setting wrong on the radio. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:26 AM
Nick956
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Communications cable

I just installed the Boom 6.5 in my bike as well as the communications link cable. I can answer phone calls now, but do not hear any audio through my headset, only through the speakers. Do I need to have radio flashed, or do I have a setting wrong on the radio. Any help would be appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WIred intercom on 14 SG/SGS?