Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Merlot sunglo

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 05:12 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Merlot sunglo

Hey everyone, need some help. A friend of mine bought a wrecked 2011 Road Glide Ultra. Front fender and all the plastic needed to be replaced or repainted. I bought PPG paint from Napa. (Vivid black, Merlot Sunglo, and Clear.) The paint was bought in the States and brought down to Mexico.
I know that in the sun the merlot sunglow looks metallic red from one angle and metallic green from another. My problem is the painter checked the paint and said there is no metallic in the paint. Is that possible or am I missing something. It wouldn't be the first time I was bull shitted down here. I'm going to the painter tomorrow to see for myself, but didn't want to go there completely stupid. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The following users liked this post:
whocares (05-27-2016)
Old 01-15-2014, 06:24 PM
BlackeyCoveR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Tom. I have a 2011 Merlot Sunglo Road King that is gradually becoming a Street Glide. My fairing was painted to match. It wasn't a HD color, I believe it was PPG but I could be wrong. Anyways, yes there is metal flake in the color. It's not as striking as the HD but still looks good.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:25 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The pearl should be in the clear if I'm not mistaken. The base/clear coat paint is pretty ugly until the clear goes on.

Mark

Old 01-15-2014, 06:38 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont know whats in the paint but mine has little gold looking sparkles all in the merlot sunglo in the sun. I dont know if its metal flakes or not. Wish I could help you more brother. I do know that you can do a search and there are places that give up the paint codes for our bikes. Here you go man, I found this: post#4. Its PPG code 927490. If they are good, they can match it. Good luck man. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/powde...aint-code.html

Old 01-15-2014, 06:47 PM
senna
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe it's standard practice for the painter to add the flake into the color.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:02 PM
bdyman2007
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

harley uses ppg global system
my brothers bike is the same color
now of it was a ppg dbc system i could match it with just base coat no need for the mid coat at all
now
what you guys see is actually called a tri-coat or a candy color
with tri coats we shoot a base then a mid coat which usaually is a mid coat clear with base or mettalic
candy colors start with
black gold silver and sometimes white
then the transparent mid coat goes over the base

never ever is pearl or base mixed in with the actual clear. clear coat is not meant for that
thats why we use a mid coat clear that is meant to have base mettalic mixed in it
it is not meant to be used as a top clear coat at all!!!!!
so in closing yes it has allot of mettalic in the color

Old 01-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Never saw any green in the Sunglo Merlot,lots of metallic,though.May show up in these pics of my old Deluxe............................................ ...

Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Twistnride
Never saw any green in the Sunglo Merlot,lots of metallic,though.May show up in these pics of my old Deluxe............................................ ...

It all depends how the sun hits it. As one of the other guys said, there's a little gold in it also. All the Harleys I've seen painted down here are always painted black. Maybe these guys don't have much experience with three stage painting. Anyway talked to the painter and he's going to shoot a sample with the black, merlot and clear tomorrow. Will see how it turns out.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 PM
mountain man
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by senna
I believe it's standard practice for the painter to add the flake into the color.
+1

Old 01-15-2014, 08:02 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

My Merlot has green in it. You can see it if the sun catches it right. Hard to capture it in a pic tho.

Quick Reply: Merlot sunglo