Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09 Electra Glide Standard...what to know!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 02:00 PM
evil71
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 Electra Glide Standard...what to know!?!

Ok, so I'm looking at a 2009 Electra Glide Standard at the moment. Right now I have a '07 Street Bob that I LOVE, but the wife and I are taking longer multi-day trips and want something a little more comfortable for touring. Unfortunately two bikes in the stable is NOT a option, so I need to find the best of both worlds bike so to speak.

I DO NOT want a full on touring bike like a Ultra, but something that I can strip down for day to day riding, but like I said, will be more comfortable when we decide to take a long weekend trip.

So, the bikes that I am looking at are a '10 Street Glide, '08 Road Glide, '09 Street Glide or a '09 Electra Glide Standard. I've kind of settled on the '09 due to amount of add ons, miles and price. it's the only one of the four under $15,000...lol Street and Road glides seems to bring premium prices around here.

So, my question is, what are some things I need to look for? The bike only has 19,000 miles, and all service has been done at the local dealer. It has the removable tour pack, Vance&Hines Long Shots, Stage 1 kit, 21" front wheel with a Street Glide front fender, painted inner faring, and the Willie G Skull collection stuff on it. Basically a Street Glide clone bike.

Thanks in advance all!!

Old 01-22-2014, 02:06 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by evil71
Ok, so I'm looking at a 2009 Electra Glide Standard at the moment. Right now I have a '07 Street Bob that I LOVE, but the wife and I are taking longer multi-day trips and want something a little more comfortable for touring. Unfortunately two bikes in the stable is NOT a option, so I need to find the best of both worlds bike so to speak.

I DO NOT want a full on touring bike like a Ultra, but something that I can strip down for day to day riding, but like I said, will be more comfortable when we decide to take a long weekend trip.

So, the bikes that I am looking at are a '10 Street Glide, '08 Road Glide, '09 Street Glide or a '09 Electra Glide Standard. I've kind of settled on the '09 due to amount of add ons, miles and price. it's the only one of the four under $15,000...lol Street and Road glides seems to bring premium prices around here.

So, my question is, what are some things I need to look for? The bike only has 19,000 miles, and all service has been done at the local dealer. It has the removable tour pack, Vance&Hines Long Shots, Stage 1 kit, 21" front wheel with a Street Glide front fender, painted inner faring, and the Willie G Skull collection stuff on it. Basically a Street Glide clone bike.

Thanks in advance all!!
Sounds like a nice ride.

Two things:

Standard does not have a radio

Standard has polished aluminum on the motor covers, instead of chrome. As well as the silver motor vs black. Harder/more work to keep looking nice.

Are any of them ABS? Cruise?

Old 01-22-2014, 06:34 PM
evil71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flyingace
Sounds like a nice ride.

Two things:

Standard does not have a radio

Standard has polished aluminum on the motor covers, instead of chrome. As well as the silver motor vs black. Harder/more work to keep looking nice.

Are any of them ABS? Cruise?

I know the newer Street Glide and the Road glide both have CC, forgot to ask about the ABS. The Electra glide does have the radio and it's a upgraded HOG tunes radio and speakers. One of the things I like about it. And it's black. I LOVE a black Harley.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:41 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I have a '09 standard. Got it with 22k miles for $11K almost 2 years ago. It was basically stock. Bike is basically a Electraglide Classic without tourpac plus no radio, air temp & oil press gauges and blonde rather than black/chrome motor. Most likely no cruise/abs/security either. Cruise is easy & pretty cheap to install. They were all black. Great blank canvas! I've done ALOT of mods, but that was the plan. If ya like the mods it may be worth it???

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 01-22-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:04 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Love the EG standards. I was so pissed when they dropped them from the line-up. Anyway, biggest problem with the std is that they fetch big bucks relatively speaking, because they didn't make many of them. For not much more (if not the same $$) you can get an Ultra and have a lot more bike. I believe the std retailed just under $17k and your getting it 5 years later for $2k less? I get that it has add-ons, but popular wisdom is those add zero to the price, if not detract. Not everyone digs a 21 inch front wheel. And while some may like the "blonde" motor, most don't, affecting resale.

Here's a 2010 for a $16.5. Probably negotiable -

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcy/4293133540.html

If you don't like the "full touring look, you can take all that stuff off. Street Glide wheels are cheap and plentiful and really change the appearance with ease.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:57 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want passenger comfort and security, get a tour pak and maybe arm rests. You can detach it but the feed back from many passengers is the tour pak and floorboards make them more comfortable and they feel more secure.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:58 PM
evil71
Intermediate

The Electra Glide has a removable tour pack on it, others do not, so that is something to think about. And the only main requirements the wife has is a radio and rear passenger floorboards. Leaves the rest pretty open for me...lol

Old 01-22-2014, 10:14 PM
hedgehorn
Road Captain

Its a great ride....

Old 01-22-2014, 11:45 PM
old v twin
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2009 flht

Great bike.

The blonde engine is a clean look, not for everyone.

Factory options offered were ABS, cruise and security.

Colors offered were Vivid Black, Flame Blue Pearl and Black Denim.

I like mine.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...eCheck=English

Old 01-22-2014, 11:54 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

With the long shots, I would look at what kind of tuning device was used to tune the bike.

Quick Reply: '09 Electra Glide Standard...what to know!?!