Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 10:01 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Oil pump alignment

I'm installing a used cam plate from an 07 TC96 into my 05 TC88 in conjunction with a conversion cam. Will it be necessary to align the pump? I don't have the alignment pins is why I'm asking.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:10 AM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Make sure all parts are in right with the oil pump bolts in but loose. Put the bike in 5th gear and turn the rear wheel a few times then start snugging up the oil pump bolts in the proper rotation a few turns at a time. Just keep rotating the rear wheel and it will center just fine.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:32 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

I appreciate the advice. Just to clarify, this is a used cam plate. It was removed fully intact and still is. Are you suggesting I loosen it up first and then go through the procedure?

Old 01-26-2014, 12:05 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

As a suggestion buy the pins and do it correct. I just had my motor done at a shop, in 1k miles I lost the oil pump, the inners was all scored up, the symptom was a severe drop in oil pressure. Fast forward to today now with 6k on it I lost the OP again, Im tearing the motor down next week, and after conferring with at least 5 top notch techs (not including the idiot that did the motor) there is a high degree of probability that the pump is wiped out again, and probably due to pump misalignment.
Hope it works out for you.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:44 PM
hawwk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
I appreciate the advice. Just to clarify, this is a used cam plate. It was removed fully intact and still is. Are you suggesting I loosen it up first and then go through the procedure?
I would say yes to this. In my manual it says to loosen oil pump bolts a quarter turn rotate engine for pump to find it's natural centre. That is the way I did mine and have had no problem with oil pressure

Old 01-26-2014, 01:00 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,529 Likes on 3,782 Posts

This is a very confusing issue to me also. Best I can tell, Harley does not dowel the pump since the newer TC's can have runout on the crank. The area of the crank with the two flats on it that drive the inner rotors of the oil pump are a loose fit. So hence, if you snug it slightly and turn the motor (using rear wheel) the crank shaft will bump the inner rotor and align oil pump so the inner rotor does not bind it to the outer one. However, the service manual shows using the two threaded studs with the angles on the stud like a pointer. Any machinist knows centering off threaded holes is a sorry way to center anything. When you screw the centering studs in, are they in a clearance hole in the cam plate and only touch the oil pump.. If the threaded holes are true to the crank pin, why did Harley not dowel it?

page 7 of this shows using the alignment pins.

Do you really need the gear locking tool to break the sprocket bolt or torque it if motor is in gear?

http://harleyhog.host.sk/tensionerinstall.htm

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-26-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:05 PM
senna
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
As a suggestion buy the pins and do it correct. I just had my motor done at a shop, in 1k miles I lost the oil pump, the inners was all scored up, the symptom was a severe drop in oil pressure. Fast forward to today now with 6k on it I lost the OP again, Im tearing the motor down next week, and after conferring with at least 5 top notch techs (not including the idiot that did the motor) there is a high degree of probability that the pump is wiped out again, and probably due to pump misalignment.
Hope it works out for you.
I'd be double checking that crank run out also!

Old 01-26-2014, 03:02 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by senna
I'd be double checking that crank run out also!
Fully aware of that, in fact it was welded, plugged and balanced at the build.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:32 PM
senna
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
Fully aware of that, in fact it was welded, plugged and balanced at the build.
Probbably goig to be ok then.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:54 PM
kink04fxd
Tourer
Received 193 Likes on 89 Posts

I just tap the starter button a few times while snugging up the bolts. Easier to do when you work alone.

Quick Reply: Oil pump alignment