Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS light after wheel and tire change.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 06:07 PM
cchenf50
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation ABS light after wheel and tire change.

I needed new tires on my 09 SG (ABS) and I found a set of factory take offs (wheels and tires) from a 2012 (ABS) for less than the price of a rear tire. I put them on my bike today and now my dang ABS light is blinking and won't go off. No problems with this before. Any things to check for?

The following users liked this post:
white01ss (06-05-2022)
Old 01-26-2014, 06:29 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you ridden the bike yet? The light blinks til the bike gets up to 3 mph (I think) then goes out in normal operation.

When my sensor wire broke, the light would blink til I started moving then it would come on solid.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:42 PM
cchenf50
Cruiser

I rode it a few miles just to make sure everything was right. It blinked the whole time.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:48 PM
rleggs
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smithbrl
Have you ridden the bike yet? The light blinks til the bike gets up to 3 mph (I think) then goes out in normal operation.

When my sensor wire broke, the light would blink til I started moving then it would come on solid.
Yep, that's first. Then if don't stop blinking, make sure the gray bearing (abs) is on the sensor side, both wheels must signal the sensors to kill the abs light. Also, ck to make sure you didn't pull a wire and break it during install.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:34 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cchenf50
I rode it a few miles just to make sure everything was right. It blinked the whole time.
The only other possibility I can think of would be the speed sensor because the bike has to know that it's moving to turn the light off. Any of the other scenarios discussed would cause a lack of pulses to the ABS computer at speed and cause the light to be on constantly, I would think. However, that would be quite a coincidence. Are you having speedometer or turn signal cancellation problems? They are related to a bad speed sensor.

Wish I knew more about the ABS.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:37 PM
mtnrcr
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

make sure front wheel is on correctly. It will install either direction but if backwards ABS light on all the time and no other problems will occur. Had a friend find this out for himself this last fall.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:02 PM
cchenf50
Cruiser

Everything appears to be on the right way. I'm aware that the light flashes until 3-4mph, but it won't stop flashing at all. It doesn't stay on, just stays flashing. ABS is not functional right now either.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:45 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior

Did you check for DTC codes? Fuses?

Last edited by smithbrl; 01-26-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:58 PM
cchenf50
Cruiser

Figured it out. The tire was mounted on the wheel backwards. Got it remounted and put it back on. ABS fixed.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by cchenf50
Figured it out. The tire was mounted on the wheel backwards. Got it remounted and put it back on. ABS fixed.
You probably noticed the arrows on the side of the tire indicating rotational direction. That that coordinates with the ABS bearing being on the left front and right rear.

I might would have changed out the wheel bearings with new ones. Hope the used ones provide you good service.

Quick Reply: ABS light after wheel and tire change.