Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter Shaft Seal - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:30 PM
doch4m
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Shaft Seal - Need Help

[align=left]Howdy,

Got the inner and outer primary off to change the stator and the shifter shaft seal. I'm stuck and need help. I can't get the old ss seal out. I've read it can be hard getting it out.

Here are some pics:

Shifter shaft seal (Pardon my dust. Can clearly see my need for the new seal!).....

I drilled two small holes to insert screws to pull with.....

I pulled on these two screws to no avail.....

Any ideas on what to try next? All the parts are in now, and I'm trying to get it all back together tomorrow.

BTW - I bought a Cometic ss seal. Supposedly better than stock, but we'll see.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Also, I cross-posted this in Trans/Primary/Clutch section.

Thanks!

Ride on, ride well.

Doug

"I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."[/align][/align]

Old 03-19-2007, 08:02 PM
smknflms
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Shifter Shaft Seal - Need Help

..make a little bar with a threaded hole in middle for a bolt, use two screws that you have installed and use bar with boltas a puller.
Later

Old 03-19-2007, 08:36 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

try a claw hammer. that always works for me when i remove seals that way.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:27 AM
Dioglidesx2
Advanced

Looks like you havemachine screws in the old seal. I did this same seal replacement on my 02 RG . I always have good luck using a lag type sheet metal screw for this job. 2 things to note- drill the hole only as large as you need to get the point of the screw to start so it has plenty to bite on, and try to get the hole as close as possible to the outer edge of the old seal so it doesn't rock and pull out so easily, but not so close that the seal bore is damaged. I also added a thin shim washer behind the shifter arm to remove some of the in/out free play of the shifter shaft. Hope this helps.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:59 PM
doch4m
Cruiser

[align=left]Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Had success today.

Bought some PB Blaster penetrating oil. Sprayed it on and let it sit for a few hours. Also bought a metal plate, and made in mini puller. Used the tap and dye thingy to get the bolt in it, and drilled 2 smaller holes for the screws that went into the seal.

Here it is.....

Attached to the seal.....

Tightened the bolt, and the seal pulled right out.....

The case with no seal.....

The new cometic seal installed after carefulley cleaning the area around the seal opening.....

Cleaned up the mess a little, and put the washer and lock ring on.....

Now to get the stator replaced and the primary back together.

Thanks again for eveyone's help.

Ride on, ride well.

Doug

And that has made all the difference."[/align]

Old 03-21-2007, 12:15 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

great job and thank you for sharing the information.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:13 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you know the part number for the cometic seal? I can't find it in cometics catalog? did you buy direct from cometic?

Old 03-21-2007, 06:39 PM
doch4m
Cruiser

rmc,

Don't have the part # in front of me, but I'll look it up tomorrow. I just called them and ordered it direct. Their number is 440-354-0777. The guy I spoke to was very helpful, and looked it up for me. I never could find it on their website or in the catalogue they sent me.

Just a note, the seal is $2. But they charged me $7 for shipping. I called them right away, and had to get to a manager and said this ain't right, the thing is smaller than a quarter! After a friendly discussion, they made it right and agreed to refund some money to my CC. Make sure to specify that you want it shipped in a padded envelope/inexpensive shipping.

I'll put the part # up tomorrow.

Ride on, ride well.

Doug

And that has made all the difference."

Old 03-22-2007, 12:34 AM
smknflms
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: smknflms

..make a little bar with a threaded hole in middle for a bolt, use two screws that you have installed and use bar with boltas a puller.
Later
Glad it worked out for you..
Later

Old 02-18-2011, 11:24 PM
AceNightCreeper
3rd Gear
Default Torx Bolt Next to shifter shaft seal

In the pictures in this thread, next to the shifter shaft seal is a Torx bolt. Mine is leaking tranny fluid from. I just had the primary seals replaced, had the whole primary off because I was told that the leak was from the primary, i got the bike home and immediately saw it was leaking again, checked around and saw a little pool of oil on that u shaped lip underneath the torx bolt. I called my indy and he said, well...that wasnt leaking so he is not gonna help me out, i went to 3 hd dealers who said they have never seen that leak, ever, and i went to another indy who said the same thing.

Couple things, has anyone ever seen this? What is the name of the piece, the HD dealers kept saying shifter Pawl, but my indy says that the pawl stopped being used pre 2002, I have a 2005 road king with 10k miles. Indy says primary needs to come off, does anyone not agree with this? is there a 90 degree torx? would not like to spend another 300 to get the primary off. Please help

Quick Reply: Shifter Shaft Seal - Need Help