Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips, Tricks, Words of Advice

Old 03-19-2007, 10:53 PM
smknflms
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tips, Tricks, Words of Advice

..get in the habit of looking down at kickstand and making sure tab goes up into slot when placing bike on sidestand...will keep bike from rolling forward off of stand moments after you get off.
Enjoy your ride...and of course "pay attention"..situational awareness will save your *** morethan anything else you do.
Later

Old 03-19-2007, 11:00 PM
NC_Biker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What everyone else said. Please watch out for those Cagers who go Blind when a bike is around!! I will never understand it. Last week guy makes left turn 100 ft in front of my buddy,were goin 50 mph( in the dark too!!) Skids for aways, he was lucky,we chased the guy down, I dont think he`ll ever pull in front of a biker again LOL!! Be safe like others said ride alone, listen and feel the bike,braking feel how it stops,Hog meat is heavierthan rice so itwill notstop as fast, keep reading and asking questions, save ya a bunch of money in here

Old 03-19-2007, 11:13 PM
tkjones2
Banned

1. Always rember your invisible to 99 percent of cagers out there, be prepared for their inattention.
2. Safty course will give more than you can imagine, well worth the time and money, even if your insurance doesnt drop your sense of self preservation will go up alot
3. Talk to everyone, the wealth of knowledge that peopl let pass by them is amazing when a 10 min bs session and a cup of coffee would help all in the conversation
4. when going to rallies, dealers, swap meets, lock up all cash and checks and credit card somewhere it will take you days to get back to....Chorme and Personalztion is highly addictive and we are our own support group, so we are all in trouble
5. Go slow, go at your pace, and HAVE FUN...

Ride safe

Troy

Old 03-19-2007, 11:55 PM
Seal Guy Ken
Cruiser

That's what I'm talking about!
GREAT reply.
Thanks Jeff!!!
-Ken & Barb

Old 03-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Seal Guy Ken
Cruiser

F*** that wave sh**... for now.
I want to focus on what 's ahead and enjoy the ride for awhile.
No offense... I will wave when I can. Don't take it personally.
-Ken & Barb

PS: This wave thing was big in my vette too. It's hard to enjoy theride when you'refocus is on other HDs coming. If I don't "wave" in exuberence to see you... I'll be sure to buy you a beer down the road sometime. Again... don't take it personally.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:07 AM
Seal Guy Ken
Cruiser

BAM!
Great reply... and I WILL look into that course this week.
Thank You dgriffith.
-Ken & Barb

Old 03-20-2007, 12:21 AM
curmudgeon
Cruiser

1) Get "Ride Like a Pro" by Jerry Palladino and watch it. when you order mention you are a member of this forum.
2) Get "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. Read it and keep it on your nightstand.
3) Don't listen to the other guys about the front break. you get 70% of your stopping from it. Instead, learn how to use your front break!
4) You are invisible.
5) Wipe that silly grin off of your face and pay attention!

Old 03-20-2007, 12:54 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

1)[sm=welcomesign.gif]
2) Take a MSF Safety Course and get the video "Ride Like A Pro" and PRACTICE IT! You will learn more than possible in years of riding.
I also had not riden in years and lerned that I had spent a long time "perfecting" wrong maneuvers.
3) ALWAYS wear protective gear. Leather and nylon is replaceable, skin grows back but it hurts!
4) Get comfortable with your scoot before learning to wave.
5) As said elsewhere, LEARN to use your brakes (PLURAL) they are your friend and used properly will save your azz.
6) Ride as if NO ONE knows you are there but you, expect every cager to do every stupoid thing possible, you will avoid lots of mishaps like this.
7) Don't take any passengers on the bike until you are completely comfortable, and then I suggest never make a wife or a kid your first ride. PRACTICE with an experienced rider in a parking lot. It is not fair to take someone else's life in your hands until you are ready.
8) Get some HD gear (black t shirts, a hat, etc.) You will want to wear it[8D]
9) Never ride outside your capability limits
10) Enjoy the hell out of your new ride and try not to smile, the bugs will get stuck in your teeth.
Enjoy and Be Safe,
Mike

Old 03-20-2007, 12:54 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy the Touring adition of fix My Hog, buy a bike lift, a manual and a couple of torque wrenches.
Enjoy!
I almost forgot,
Don't look at any of the other cool bikes on this forum unless you are prepared to be broke all the time! LOL

Old 03-20-2007, 12:59 AM
Seal Guy Ken
Cruiser

Awesome... love it, THANKS!

Come on EVERYONE, let's keep them coming.
I have 26 replies here (5are my responses) while "how far is your dealer" poll is at 28.

There's some great words of wisdom in many of these responses, and I truely THANK YOUall for taking the time to reply.
Experience is the best eductator, and your experience is providing me with insight I could only get from 50 years on my own.
I'm 44... I promise to pass this all along if I see 94.

Keep them coming... and THANK YOU again!

-Ken & Barb.

PS: My wife is very impressed with these responses, and as my back seat partner, she would like to know if there's anything we should know ahead of time with an extra 120 lbs back there. (she won't be back there for at least 30 days of my re-learning, and even then it will be country roads and taking it very cautiosly this summer).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tips, Tricks, Words of Advice