Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips, Tricks, Words of Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 309 Likes on 181 Posts

Lots of sound advice. One more, if you don't want to go broke stay the hell away from this forum!

Old 03-24-2010, 06:06 PM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

One that was missed I think it teaching her, if she doesn't know already, how to get on and off the bike.

An Ultra weighs enough on it own so if she steps up on the passenger foot board and you are not expecting it, over you go.

1. Either tell her when to get on or off, or have her tell you and you acknowledge it beforehand.
2. If you have to back in or out, its easier to have her off the bike for that.
3. Make sure she knows not to move around or adjust her sitting position below 20 mph or so; and if she has do something major to let you know regardless of the speed.
4. Teach her how to lean with the bike in the curves. Easiest is to have her look over your right shoulder in right hand turns and left shoulder in left hand turns.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:21 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Shiny side up, rubber down and ride like everyone wants to kill you, because they DO.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:28 PM
patsfan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of good stuff already on riding & safety for ya.
Only a few things ya need immediately for the bike.
* MOM (motorcycle operators manual) read it, study it
* service manual - read it, study it
* parts manual - almost as important as the SM
* battery tender
* tool kit - remember you got some metrics on there
* shock pump
* tire plug kit & compressor - Slime makes a good one
* rain gear
* good air pressure gauge
* bike cover
Try to resist the urge to spend your life savings on accessories, at least for a little while. Plenty of things you will prolly want to change as you get some miles under your belt, ie., seat, handlebars, exhaust, ect., ect..
Be safe & have fun!!

Old 04-19-2015, 07:55 AM
Schoondog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know we hate to revive an old thread. And 5 years of Death is a hard revival but I was going through my old subscriptions. What a difference 5 years make. Then I was newly returned to riding and had a 99 Ultra Versus Now, 2014 Ultra limited, I am an MSF instructor at a local school and a Coach at the HD Riding academy. Actually had a class yesterday that I was the student and riding with a full tour pack and saddle bags I can tell you for certain the Limited will still swerve, stop and corner almost the same as empty if you try hard enough but in the swerve it can give you a pucker factor like mine did. Didn't hit the cones but on the recovery swerve I hit the left side floorboard hard and felt like it lifted the front end as I was accelerating through the swerve. A little scary but having a bit less than the max allowable weight in my bags it does make for a different effect when doing those maneuvers. I hope Seal guy Ken is still enjoying the ride the best he can.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:49 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraPassenger
PS: My wife is very impressed with these responses, and as my back seat partner, she would like to know if there's anything we should know ahead of time with an extra 120 lbs back there.....
Tell her never to fight a curve, and never ever wiggle.
ask her not to make any sudden major moves while you are stopped. the sudden shift in weight can cause some stability problems. ask her to let you know so you can brace the bike before she shifts around in the back seat. not a real problem while moving but when stopped can sometimes be a surprise.
Always remember if momma aint happy, you aint gonna be happy. so, keep that in mind when she's along.
try and see if there is a local franchise of ride like a pro. we have one here in southern maryland and it was worth the $125 or so bucks for some hands on instruction....ride safe.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:00 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After the MSF class and buying the ride like a pro videos, PRACTICE. Regularly. If you go to practice in a parking lot, bring some thick pipe insulation and duct tape. put it on the crash bar and bagrails.

Remember that any passenger is saying "I trust you with my life". Take that responsibility seriously. The OL doesn't care how fast it accelerates and she doesn't want whiplash. (She IS going to assume it's safer to move around at slow speeds. Explain to her that's the worst time to start adjusting or moving)

Buy an OEM shop manual. Even if you don't plan on doing most of the service.

Unless it came with current records, do all of the maintenance for the last reccomended service interval.

You just started riding and got the biggest, top heavy motorcycle you could find. RESPECT it. You can't manhandle an ultra.

When you get around other riders and your adrenaline / testosterone go though the roof, keep it in check. Think you feel good when you're riding solo? That feeling is amplified greatly in a pack. Don't fall into the trap and start riding over your head (Beyond your ability) or doing stupid stuff. If you crash trying to keep up, it's YOUR fault. Don't let your ego ride your bike.

Congratulations and happy motoring!

Oh, one more thing. Get a small hard bound journal, a good pen (or orange sharpie now that black and orange are your favorite colors!) and put them in your tour pak. When you travel, write down what's going on and what you're thinking about during the ride. Start the entry with the date time weather and location. Years from now, you'll go back and read these logs and they will take you back in a way pictures never can.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:23 AM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All are great and I agree with them. I do second, third, fourth or whatever the Safety Course anytime you have been away from riding. Also, if you can get your other half or whoever your passenger will be to take said course. IF and I pray it doesnt, anything happens they can ride your bike where it needs to be if you cant.
Remember it only takes 5 mph to cause brain damage, wear a helmet. I know it doesnt look cool, but better to be uncool than drooling on your shirt.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:48 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Read all the "Stickies" at the top of this forum section.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:29 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Check the original post date before you give any advice.

Quick Reply: Tips, Tricks, Words of Advice