Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jagg 10-row Oil Cooler Install on Ultra - Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 174 Likes on 133 Posts

Great write up. I appreciate seeing the photos as well.
I have been thinking of doing a different oil cooler on my limited but, wish someone would come up with a way to mount it away from the voltage regulator.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Mark_FLHTCU
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very good documentation...where did you get the revised thermostat device from?

Old 02-09-2014, 10:49 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcV125
excellent, did not know that. Thanks for the info ..

edit: after reading the jagg site, joes oil cooler that he has installed is also a double pass cooler. .. The only thing i could see why they would route differently then is because of the fan?.. The voltage regulator has to sit higher just looking at the pictures..Maybe the line would rub on the metal bracket..That is my thinking..Again my fan assisted with the lines running on the frame rail has caused no issues and im sure it wont...again have been running for three years now ..i just thought they had changed the design of how they ran the lines .. I should have done more research before posting
Sorry joe for high jacking
I'll have to make a phone call tomorrow to validate this model as a two pass. last time I spoke with Jagg, the cores with the ports on the same end were two pass, those with ports on opposite ends were single pass, either way, a great product.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark_FLHTCU
Very good documentation...where did you get the revised thermostat device from?
You can get them at Wards Parts Werks here:

http://www.wardspartswerks.com/thermostats.html

While you are on the site, take a look at the FCS cooling system. I can recommend that product as well.

Jason is a forum sponsor and a veteran. He's good people.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Ordered mine today. Should be here in time for a weekend project.

Last edited by Juan L; 02-12-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:55 AM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
You can get them at Wards Parts Werks here:

http://www.wardspartswerks.com/thermostats.html

While you are on the site, take a look at the FCS cooling system. I can recommend that product as well.

Jason is a forum sponsor and a veteran. He's good people.
Thanks Joe. When I get back from my trip, I'll send you a 140 stat for the Jagg adapter. The 160 is for the HD adapter but it will still be better than the OEM 185. Because of the stat retaining cap location, its a pain in the butt just to change the stat in the Jagg adapter but you can swap it next time you have it apart or change the oil.
Jason

Old 02-09-2014, 12:00 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,603 Likes on 5,172 Posts

Extra row or two makes little difference. Oil cooler only helps a bit when moving does nothing sitting.
But there are things you can do. Give this a look. I installed it first on my 2011 RGU then on my 2013 RGU . At first I figured it would end up being a few bucks more in the bad Idea box. Surprise it works.
http://bigskyfan.tripod.com/id10.html

Old 02-09-2014, 12:40 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

I have steam radiators in my house. Thehy don't move and they RADIATE lots of heat.............

Old 02-09-2014, 12:56 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Extra row or two makes little difference. Oil cooler only helps a bit when moving does nothing sitting.
http://bigskyfan.tripod.com/id10.html
This is a very common misconception.
I have contact temperature probes at the oil pan pick up and return, and the cooler in and out ports. Sitting still an oil cooler doesn't do nothing, note the double negative. sitting still a Jagg 10 row still sheds about 1/3 of the heat that it does in motion(its pure assumption that the HD exchanger functions similarly), which is routinely 20-25 degrees. There are only a few heat transfer methods, conduction, convection, and radiation; a closed fluid to open air heat exchanger system such as an oil cooler uses all three. An oil cooler does not require motion to work, but it does work better with. I also put a huge shrouded fan on my oil cooler to test, max differential in/out of cooler is only 25 degrees, but it is constant, regardless of motion.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by WARDSPARTSWERKS
Thanks Joe. When I get back from my trip, I'll send you a 140 stat for the Jagg adapter. The 160 is for the HD adapter but it will still be better than the OEM 185. Because of the stat retaining cap location, its a pain in the butt just to change the stat in the Jagg adapter but you can swap it next time you have it apart or change the oil.
Jason
Jason,
I edited my post to correct the type of thermostat I purchased from you. I did order the WPW140 for the Zagg, so I have the correct one. I actually was thinking it was the 160 for some brain-dead reason, when in fact it was definately the 140.

Another ride today, about 50 miles, and I can tell the cooler is already doing better than the stock HD unit. I'll be interested to see what they tell you as you confirm whether or not this version is truly a dual pass. Thanks

Quick Reply: Jagg 10-row Oil Cooler Install on Ultra - Pics