Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do highway peg make your ride more comfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:11 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,899 Likes on 8,425 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceFace
I dunno, maybe mine are in the wrong spot or my setup is all wrong, but mine aren't comfortable for me. I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam and I find my hips and calves cramp up. I have to get my feet back on the boards to be more comfortable. Maybe if I had a backrest or different bars besides beach bars....I dunno. They were kind of a disappointment for me.
The back rest and handle bars are an integral part along with the highway pegs to make a comfortable ride. If you don't have a backrest, you are basically doing a body crunch with your feet up on the pegs. Also, stress on your lower back may be what is causing the hip pain and calf cramps, i.e. sciatica nerve. With the handle bars to low for you, you're leaning forward with your weight on your shoulders and arms. That leads to rider fatigue. For a rider your height, you need bars at least 4 inches higher than stock just to get in the ball park of comfort. Check with an indy for help in getting the right kind of bars. The bend of the hand grips is important too for wrist comfort. I wouldn't waste my time trying to get this done through a dealer. They are only there to push new bikes and really don't have much training in the area of after market improvements.

Last edited by EasternSP; 02-10-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:20 PM
xhere
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never used highway pegs, my question to the ones that do is this:

When your legs are kicked out on the pegs does your legs direct the wind up in your face as when you open your legs up when using the floor boards. It seems if I don't keep my legs tucked in near the tank I get blasted....

Old 02-10-2014, 08:27 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

WOW great response and info! My adjustable back rest is due to be delivered on Thursday, so I guess I better order some highway pegs ASAP. I'm leaving in a month!
Thank you all

Old 02-10-2014, 08:38 PM
EG-2006
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

For rider comfort the backrest is the greatest improvement for me. The highway pegs are good too. Position them so you can rest your heels on the floorboards and your toes on the pegs as others have suggested. You now have options-floorboards, heels on the floorboards, feet on the pegs, heels on the pegs. Whether its comfortable long distance or not, having the options allows you to change positions and get some relief.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by Freebirdsride1
I us them because of lack of leg room, so I have them set low on the engine guard so my heel rest on the floor boards and ball of my foot rest on the pegs.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

YES, way more comfortable. SJ Ron

Old 02-10-2014, 08:55 PM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Going to put highway pegs on very soon. I don't care for the looks of the crash bar, however, I'm finding I need to stretch my long legs out, so there goes form over function. Just can't decide between the Billet Mounts or the Short Angled Mounts. I have extended floorboards so I don't want anything to long or sticking out. Like to rest my heel on FB and toes on the pegs

Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love mine, got the long angled version from another forum member.The long angled version is nice because it gives you allot of versatility in the mounting position.The trick is to mount them so you can rest your heels on the floor boards and your toes on the pegs without them interfering with your foot controls.It takes a little trial and error to get it right.Once you get this set up you can also move your feet all the way up on the pegs or rest your heels on them to totally stretch out.I also found them useful for heat management with my feet on the pegs the heat radiating from the head pipes becomes a non issue.Overall the best bang for the buck modification I've done to my Limited.I would also recommend round rubber pegs as opposed to those miniature foot board things much more comfortable and forgiving of changing foot angles.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 PM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also look at Harley goodies floor board extenders great product moves floorboards out an inch.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:09 PM
ScottCocoaBeach
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my highway pegs, made sure to pick them up when I bought the bike and put them on a few days later. I also like that it gives your lower fairings a little extra protection as well. Nice to be able to stretch out as other have stated, either with them in the middle of your feet or kicking out further and resting the back of your boots on them.

Quick Reply: Do highway peg make your ride more comfortable?