Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 10:54 PM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 805 Likes on 436 Posts

I'm in Arkansas and there is no helmet law here. I generally ride without any protective gear. I love the freedom. Honestly I would like to take a couple of precautions though. I used to ride sport bikes in full gear - helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. Now it's a t-shirt and jeans. I LOVE the freedom but feel the urge to protect myself from the left-turners and cell talkers. My Wife means more and more to me every day. The issue is that I have a brain tumor and can't even take sunglasses pressing on the side of my head for more than 15 minutes without getting a debilitating headache. My best DOT helmet presses against my forehead and hurts like hell to the point I have to pull over. Does anyone custom mold helmets that are just for the owner? I am coming up blank on this. I found one non DOT helmet I can wear for an hour but what's the point when I would rather be home. Thanks my friends!

Last edited by Ultra103; 02-13-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:00 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, thats a hard one. If sunglasses get bothersome I cant imagine finding a helmet thats going to work. A loose ones going to buffet around and a snug ones going to be worse than glasses. All helmets have a different fit... Id just try on as many as you can. Id say you would probably have better luck with a half lid

Old 02-13-2014, 11:16 PM
Jarhead_88
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra103
I'm in Arkansas and there is no helmet law here. I generally ride without any protective gear. I love the freedom. Honestly I would like to take a couple of precautions though. I used to ride sport bikes in full gear - helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. Now it's a t-shirt and jeans. I LOVE the freedom but feel the urge to protect myself from the left-turners and cell talkers. My Wife means more and more to me every day. The issue is that I have a brain tumor and can't even take sunglasses pressing on the side of my head for more than 15 minutes without getting a debilitating headache. My best DOT helmet presses against my forehead and hurts like hell to the point I have to pull over. Does anyone custom mold helmets that are just for the owner? I am coming up blank on this. I found one non DOT helmet I can wear for an hour but what's the point when I would rather be home. Thanks my friends!
That is tough. Couple of suggestions though. I am really picky about helmets as I have a odd shaped melon, kind of long and narrow at the front. If possible, go to a non Harley bike shop and try on some of their helmets. They will usually carry more of the standard brands (Icon, HJC, KBC, etc.) Try to find a helmet that matches the natural shape of your head. I would suggest looking at Revzilla.com. They have extensive videos on helmets and Anthony form Revzilla will usually state whether a helmet has a round or oval type shape in the video. Also they have great shipping and will accept returns on helmets. Also, consider ordering one size larger than what you measure out as. Granted it is not as safe as a tightly fitting helmet but if you cant ride in it then it is really worthless. Good luck and let us know what you come up with. Get well soon my friend.

Sean

Old 02-13-2014, 11:36 PM
houstonhdguy
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I think you need to find a shop with a lot of different makes and models of helmets and find the right one for you. Everyone is a little different in what fits them best...

Old 02-14-2014, 01:24 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Ya might give these guys a call??
http://www.helmethouse.com/

Old 02-14-2014, 05:46 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tough one...

Really the only advice is keep trying until you find one - each model is different. What suits this or that guy might not be any good for your particular situation.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:51 AM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

maybe consider using a helmet that is non motorcycle. Bicycle, hockey, etc. I know they wont give the same level of protection, but maybe better than nothing?

Old 02-14-2014, 06:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by houstonhdguy
I think you need to find a shop with a lot of different makes and models of helmets and find the right one for you. Everyone is a little different in what fits them best...
Agreed and preferably with a member of staff trained in fitting helmets. Mrs B and I came across just such a shop by chance here in the UK who did and came away with the best fitting helmets we have either of us worn to date.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:04 AM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior
Received 462 Likes on 129 Posts

OP.... Sorry for your illness. I think it would be a waste of time and money trying to find a helmet that would work. A loose fitting one would create more problems than it's worth (in terms of safety). You already know that life can be short and your time is best spent doing what you love, with who you love. All the best to you....

Old 02-14-2014, 07:13 AM
jgrohio
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I have an odd melon I guess its longer front to back and thinner in width, most helmets push on my forehead and I can put my hand in on the sides. When I rode a lot of adventure stuff on my Vstrom I wore a KBC tk-77 only helmet I found that didnt give me a headache pushing on my forehead. I have tried on hundreds of helmets over the years. I have about 6 now including a couple harley helmets, I just dont wear them unless Im in a state that requires it. And of the ones I have or have had I can wear anything from a medium to XL depending on maker so try on lots of helmets they are all different.

Quick Reply: Helmet question