Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got new AMP, needing to mate some speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 01:09 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got new AMP, needing to mate some speakers

I just got my new RockFord Fosgate PBR300x4 4ohm compact amp in and am now wanting to match up some speakers. I am going to put this in my 08 SE Ultra and plan on putting it in the fairing. I am also planning on running just the fairing speakers to this amp. I have the sound matt to install in the fairing as well. I want 6.5" or even 7.1's if I can get them to fit. I will need the rings, but am wanting to know what speakers ya'll think I should run. I looked at the Focal Intergrated ISC165 but can't find them on E-bay or Amazon. Close, but not the same.

Last edited by SecondChance!!; 02-14-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:44 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Did you read through the audio section? Lots of posts on speakers over there.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are only doing the fairing speakers I would return the pbr300x4 and get a pbr300x2. The pbr300x4 is known to overheat and you will only get 75 watts a channel. You also have to use 4 ohm speakers.

With the pbr300x2 you can use 2 ohm speakers and get 150 watts a channel.

Can you return it?

Last edited by Pioneer74; 02-16-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:11 PM
rockajet1
Tourer

Originally Posted by SecondChance!!
I just got my new RockFord Fosgate PBR300x4 compact amp in and am now wanting to match up some speakers. I am going to put this in my 08 SE Ultra and plan on putting it in the fairing. I am also planning on running just the fairing speakers to this amp. I have the sound matt to install in the fairing as well. I want 6.5" or even 7.1's if I can get them to fit. I will need the rings, but am wanting to know what speakers ya'll think I should run. I looked at the Focal Intergrated ISC165 but can't find them on E-bay or Amazon. Close, but not the same.
First off, I don't think that the sound matt stuck to the fairing is the way to go. Many posts suggested using fiberfill wrapped around the speakers. That's what I did and it sounds great. I too, have the PBR 300x4. As for speakers, I have Focal CA 165s (~$100) in my lowers and some Focal VB165 6.5" components in the batwing. I took out the oil pressure gauge and ambient temperature gauge and put the tweeters in the upper holes. My particular component model has been discontinued but there are other models comparably priced(~$175). My system might not be as good as a few you might run into, but I'll guarantee it is in the upper 2-3 percentile. Friends rave over it. Even when I fade to all uppers or all lowers, either set sound darn good. Bottom line is I am a big fan of Focal. Good luck!

Old 02-14-2014, 02:27 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
If you are only doing the fairing soaked I would return the pbr300x4 and get a pbr300x2. The pbr300x4 is known to overheat and you will only get 75 watts a channel. You also have to use 4 ohm speakers.

With the pbr300x2 you can use 2 ohm speakers and get 150 watts a channel.

Can you return it?
But I can bridge it and get 150 watts per, yes? That and I may later upgrade the rear pods of BOOM audio to who knows what.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:30 PM
Miked053
Supporter

Take out the foam, is an actual acoustic dampening foam (that in my opinion muffled the speakers when I had it)
+1 on the poly fill, three of the thin sheets cut into a 12"x12" square sheet wrapped around the speaker (will be held in place by the fairing)
7.1 speakers are the bomb, I highly recommend them

Old 02-14-2014, 02:31 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master

Originally Posted by rockajet1
First off, I don't think that the sound matt stuck to the fairing is the way to go. Many posts suggested using fiberfill wrapped around the speakers. That's what I did and it sounds great. I too, have the PBR 300x4. As for speakers, I have Focal CA 165s (~$100) in my lowers and some Focal VB165 6.5" components in the batwing. I took out the oil pressure gauge and ambient temperature gauge and put the tweeters in the upper holes. My particular component model has been discontinued but there are other models comparably priced(~$175). My system might not be as good as a few you might run into, but I'll guarantee it is in the upper 2-3 percentile. Friends rave over it. Even when I fade to all uppers or all lowers, either set sound darn good. Bottom line is I am a big fan of Focal. Good luck!
Whats the difference between the VB's and the CA's. I have heard of the fiberfill as well. Lighter in weight as well and still allows air flow. Has anyone tried the Kicker speakers? Whats ur view or experiences?

Last edited by SecondChance!!; 02-14-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:33 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master

Originally Posted by Miked053
Take out the foam, is an actual acoustic dampening foam (that in my opinion muffled the speakers when I had it)
+1 on the poly fill, three of the thin sheets cut into a 12"x12" square sheet wrapped around the speaker (will be held in place by the fairing)
7.1 speakers are the bomb, I highly recommend them
What foam are you speaking of? Where did you get these sheets? My buddy said about using the poly pillow/sheeting fill material, same thing?

Old 02-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

But I can bridge it and get 150 watts per, yes? That and I may later upgrade the rear pods of BOOM audio to who knows what.
No. You can't bridge that amp.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:56 PM
rbferg
Road Master

What foam are you speaking of? Where did you get these sheets? My buddy said about using the poly pillow/sheeting fill material, same thing?
Poly-fil Quilt Batting is what you want. You'll find it in the craft section at Walmart. Check out Biketronics for excellent speakers and amps with a lifetime warranty. The Audio Forum is a great resource for audio questions.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Poly-Fil-E...-x-60/17808678

Last edited by rbferg; 02-14-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: added

Quick Reply: Got new AMP, needing to mate some speakers