Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 SGS Stereo Amp upgrade?

Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 AM
WildX
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2014 SGS Stereo Amp upgrade?

I have been thinking about adding an Amp for the 6.5GT Boom audio.
Should I go with the HD BOOM Amp or J&M Rokker XT-P 250 Watt 2CH?
I know the J&M has more power but besides that.
All input is welcome

Old 02-16-2014, 08:13 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

There's a video going around comparing the HD Boom amp to a J&M Rokker unit, not sure what number they test. Go to the J&M site or Google it, I think it's a 2 or 3 part video, pretty informative. They test decibels, riding volume, a few things...

Old 02-16-2014, 09:11 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I'd go with Rockford-Fosgate PBR 2 channel. Check out the Audio section.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:04 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WildX
I have been thinking about adding an Amp for the 6.5GT Boom audio.
Should I go with the HD BOOM Amp or J&M Rokker XT-P 250 Watt 2CH?
I know the J&M has more power but besides that.
All input is welcome

I put the J&M in my new bike. I can now hear the tunes at any speed. The package is plug and play and you can't help but be impressed with the quality. You replace a shelf under the fairing with a really nice perfect fit J&M shelf to mount the amp.
I installed the 3600 on my 2014 ultra to run the four speakers.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:18 AM
NWGlide
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put the 250w Rokker amp in my '14 SG. The results with the stock speakers are underwhelming for the $$$ , but I wasn't expecting much until I get the matching Rokker fairing speakers. The release date for the 2014 compatable speakers just got pushed out another month (3/20). Good thing the weather sucks here right now.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:13 AM
WildX
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NWGlide
I just put the 250w Rokker amp in my '14 SG. The results with the stock speakers are underwhelming for the $$$ , but I wasn't expecting much until I get the matching Rokker fairing speakers. The release date for the 2014 compatable speakers just got pushed out another month (3/20). Good thing the weather sucks here right now.

I had the Boom 6.5 HD speakers put in when I picked it up new. I was not impressed. I had the J&M 3 ways in the 2009 FLHX I traded for the new bike.
They sounded worlds above stock speakers. I am hopping the money spent on the HD speaker upgrades was not a waste. So I figured going with the J&M amp, but was on the fence. I think the Tech at HD did not do the required DSP change in the Factory radio for the new speakers. They sound very flat. I guess I can wait a little longer since looking out my windows I am greated with 2 feet of snow on the ground. I have 4 boxes of accessories sitting there, new pipes, various light upgrades ect. not going anywhere.

Last edited by WildX; 02-16-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:57 AM
WildX
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
I'd go with Rockford-Fosgate PBR 2 channel. Check out the Audio section.
Yes but the output of this amp is for 4 ohm speakers and you have to cut wiring. J&M is for 2 ohm and is all plug and play.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:58 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The new Harley Infotainment radio on the 2014 Ultra & Ultra Limited, come from Harley with the front & rear speaker outputs active with front/rear fader control active ,,,,,,

The new Harley Infotainment radio on the 2014 StreetGlide, (either version) comes from Harley with ONLY the front speaker outputs active, and NO front/rear fader control ,,,,,,

If you add the Harley BOOM speakers and amplifier to either system, along with the dealer computer FLASH for the same, the REAR speaker outputs from the radio are deactivated, and the Harley BOOM amplifier itself becomes the front/rear fading component of the system, directed by the radio for front/rear fader controls ,,,,,

IN ADDITION, the DSP inside the Harley radio is altered, supposedly for better sound, when in fact, major portions of the low frequency bass response is removed, along with increases in the midrange and upper frequencies ,,,,,, (((see

This DSP alteration does NOT improve the sound of the audio system at all ,, in fact just the opposite takes place with this special Harley radio digital flash ,,,,,,

For J&Ms new Daytona Blue 2014 StreetGlide we added J&Ms new 5X7" rear saddlebag lid speakers, http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ID=HSDR-5X7-14 and the 500w ROKKER XTP amplifier http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....MP-500HC14-SGP ,,,,,,,

THEN we took the bike down to the Harley dealer and had the Harley computer FLASH performed JUST to activate the rear speaker outputs ,,,, this particular flash from Harley retains the original superior sound and bass response from the radio, but activates the handlebar controls for front/rear fader ,,,,, system performance is now fantastic ,,,,

For J&Ms new Vivid Black 2014 Ultra Ltd, we added J&Ms 500w ROKKER XTP amplifier for the ultra ,,,,,,, see

BOTH will be on display at the big J&M audio demo trailer at Rossmeyer's Daytona HD, for Daytona Beach Bike Week ,,,,,,, stop by and listen for yourself, just how good the audio system CAN perform on the new 2014 Harleys ,,,,

Old 02-16-2014, 12:43 PM
xhere
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JMJOHN

I have already purchase boom audio speakers and lids for my sgs, no amp yet...

Would your amp work well as you stated in this previous post with my boom speakers?

Old 02-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

JMJOHN Why so long on getting your new speakers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 SGS Stereo Amp upgrade?