Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to mount oem batwing to road king

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 09:09 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 370 Posts
Default how to mount oem batwing to road king

so i know there has been a ton of posts on aftermarket and oem fairings.

my question is if i do find a inner and outer oem fairing. how does it attach. do i need to get a mount that works like the road glide mount?

what do i need to do

Old 02-02-2014, 09:26 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The factory batwing does not mount to a RK, you will either have to adapt a windshield mount to work with it and reconfigure the assembly as a nesting unit over the nacelle or convert the head mount and headlamp to a Electra Glide or Street Glide style. The batwing is designed to mount as a assembly to a fixed mount similar to the nacelle but quite different on the Street Glide and Electra series. The headlamp installs into the fairing. You will see the issue to nacelle mounting when you get one.

They can be as has been done, reconfigured to work as a windshield mount style but are considerable as to modification. Dead Center Cycle has a slip on assembly as do many others, I just chose theirs as I had one on my '03 RK and liked it a lot.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:56 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 370 Posts

well i could get a few bucks freed up if i sell the nacelle from my rk.

do you have alink to how the fairing attachs to the headlight?

Old 02-03-2014, 04:36 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Fairing doesn't attach to headlamp, headlamp is attached to fairing. Is a HD dealer usually listed in posts that has detailed parts diagrams for the rides, is the only views of a Electra Glide or Street Glide beyond the service manuals I know of. Maybe another one of the guys here has a link.

Finally popped back into a old mind, Ronnie's HD:

http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson...partfinder.htm

Last edited by ddm502001; 02-03-2014 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:13 AM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I found a thread for you here. It can be done!!! I'm in the process of ordering the parts to convert my Street Glide to a Road Glide. Once all the parts come in I'll be listing everything (Black Pearl inner and outer fairings, brackets and interconnect harness, ect..) if you're interested in my used parts shoot me a PM.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Take a look at any of the on-line parts books, such as this one, where you can see all the parts involved. The instrument panel is the structure which contains and supports everything else, so is the first part you install, after removing your headlamp nacelle.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:18 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gartec81
so i know there has been a ton of posts on aftermarket and oem fairings.

my question is if i do find a inner and outer oem fairing. how does it attach. do i need to get a mount that works like the road glide mount?

what do i need to do
Your asking 2 different questions? Do you want to install a Batwing or a Fixed fairing (Sharknose/ Road Glide)

Both can be done... both at very different amounts of $ and work.

Aftermarket batwingss are available and they mount to the stock windshield grommets on side of forks or you can do a conversion to a factory batwing at a lot more money and parts. If it is a Road Glide fairing (Shark nose) that can also be done either by using all OEM parts or a conversion kit, I thing Cycle Visions does a kit.

To do it using OEM parts also requires a new wiring harness to go aftermarket its pretty much a plug and play.

Use the search on this forum there are a lot of conversions to batwing or Shark nose

Aftermarket batwings run from $ 500 (Memphis Shades) to 3000.00 (Dragon fly, Hoppe, Dead center)
OEM if you can find take off parts can be pieced together

Shark nose -conversion probably $ 1000-4000 depending on parts and a lot more work

Last edited by XARAN; 02-03-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Heretics!

Defiling a perfectly good motorcycle putting a fairying on it!
Why don't you buy the type of bike you want instead of killing a King?
That's like how "those" people put costumes on their little lapdogs;
the look of shame on those animals from the action of their owners.

Long live the King!

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your nether regions if you kill the King!!!!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Florida Swamp Yankee
Heretics!

Defiling a perfectly good motorcycle putting a fairying on it!
Why don't you buy the type of bike you want instead of killing a King?
That's like how "those" people put costumes on their little lapdogs;
the look of shame on those animals from the action of their owners.

Long live the King!

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your nether regions if you kill the King!!!!
There, there - don't let them get at you!

I bought my FLHS long before the RK was invented, but soon found it wasn't quite what I had hoped for. Fitting a batwing transformed it and we've both been happy ever since. Who knows - OP's bike may become the last one he ever needs!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by grbrown
There, there - don't let them get at you!

I bought my FLHS long before the RK was invented, but soon found it wasn't quite what I had hoped for. Fitting a batwing transformed it and we've both been happy ever since. Who knows - OP's bike may become the last one he ever needs!
Yeah, nobody makes a bike like you would like to have. I've been going towards the other direction, being a minimalist but with the stuff that nobody else is using. I wouldn't even have bags if they weren't so convenient.

It's just a shame hearing about a King getting dressed up with a sharkwing or batnose or some other costume!

Quick Reply: how to mount oem batwing to road king