Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking master cylinder cover winded but may be worth the read?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 01:38 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Leaking master cylinder cover winded but may be worth the read?

I think I might finally have it? I've tried everything to get my weeping master cylinder cover to stop leaking and shooting little droplets of DOT 4 back on my bikes paint when in the wind. I disassemble it, clean up the cover, lip and gasket with soap and water and alcohol, reassemble and ride for a few weeks and do it all over again. I have the third revision cover and gasket and the new torque specs of 6 inch pounds down from 12. I've used a crappy little beat up torque limiting screwdriver because its all I could find that went down to what I thought was 6 inch pounds. Last week I finally broke down and went to Seekonk Precision tools and bought a high quality, guaranteed certificate calibrated 0 - 40 inch pound torque limiting screwdriver and I also bought another new gasket. Before I went through the whole cleaning and new gasket ritual, I checked the torque with the new driver. I was shocked...6 inch pounds on the little screws and rubber gasket is a lot more than I would have ever suspected! The old torque driver must have been in inch oz not inch pound. I very carefully torqued to 6 inch pounds and it was much tighter and compressed that gasket much further than I had ever done. It obviously wasn't to the stops, but it surprised me at how much tighter 6 inch pounds is on those tiny screws and a rubber gasket. I rocked the bars back and forth and squeezed the brake lever etc. looks good. I guess the first ride will be the tell all....Those of you who think you can feel 6 inch pounds and your just snugging those screws up would be surprised...Its tighter than you may realize.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:53 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I have always just snugged down the cover with a good old fashion phillips head screwdriver and have never had a leak. Torque wrenches have their place but not on those tiny screws. I'm glad you got your cover to stop leaking though.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:58 PM
rbferg
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue. I picked up the third revision gasket with a new cover as well and so far so good. The third revision does not protrude under the cover like the previous version so I was skeptical, but his revision seems to work well so far, time will tell. I was told if the gasket is ever over-torqued, you might as well toss it.

Last edited by rbferg; 02-17-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by rbferg
I had the same issue. I picked up the third revision gasket with a new cover as well and so far so good. The third revision does not protrude under the cover like the previous version so I was skeptical, but his revision seems to work well so far, time will tell. I was told if the gasket is ever over-torqued, you might as well toss it.
That's why I broke down and spent the money on a high quality torque screwdriver. If its designed to work properly at 6-8 inch pounds, that's what I want to try torqueing it to and know its right. I make it a point to look at other covers and I noticed that more than 1/2 had weeping around the edge of the gasket that some may just not notice. I'll tell ya though, in the wind those little unnoticed droplets of DOT 4 will do a number on that pretty tank and saddle bag top!

Old 02-17-2014, 02:19 PM
rbferg
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if the MOCO used four screws rather than two to attach the cover it could help solve the problem.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:29 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

After ruining way too many covers, I now put a light coat of black RTV all the way around the cover and seal except for the weep holes.

No more problems.

lp

Old 02-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by rbferg
I think if the MOCO used four screws rather than two to attach the cover it could help solve the problem.
I think your right there. Or they could use the round screw on style like the Roland Sands after market unit?

Old 02-17-2014, 03:19 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Slotted stainless steel screws provide clean grip across the head and don't corrode. A drop of black varnish is easier to remove from the slot than from the cross of the Phillips head.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:34 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts

I went chrome cover for that reason. Were you able to buy just the gasket? MOCO only sells lid and gasket as a set now. I snug down gently with a Phillips just prior to seeing the gasket start to squish out then back off a tad.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:28 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by dawg
I went chrome cover for that reason. Were you able to buy just the gasket? MOCO only sells lid and gasket as a set now. I snug down gently with a Phillips just prior to seeing the gasket start to squish out then back off a tad.
Your right Dawg, they only sell as a kit from what I'm told. However, I asked Wilkins if I could buy just a gasket and Mike went out back and found one and sold it to me. The baggie it came in had the following number on it..42857-06B. I don't know if that was just a baggie they had laying around or if that is actually the gasket number?

Last edited by Rickr01; 02-17-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Leaking master cylinder cover winded but may be worth the read?