Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running Bel-Ray 15w fork oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:34 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone running Bel-Ray 15w fork oil?

Gathering what I need to change the fork oil in my '12 Ultra, and came across the Bel-Ray fork oil on Amazon. I want to go a little heavier, I like what I read about the guys that have done so. Just checking to see if anyone has used this brand, and to make sure that 15w is what I want to go one step up from OEM.

Thanks

David

Old 02-18-2014, 09:50 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with Amsoil shock therapy #10 in forks & stock air shocks it rides real nice now I think that #15 is to heavy. Stock is #5 HD "E" type I believe. You really can't improve the air stocks to much but Amsoil #10 did alot more than what I thought it would do. One day I'll go with Ohlins all around but this will hold me for awhile & for less than $40.00. Bel ray is a good product I'd just try a lighter weight it only takes an hour or so to change the fork oil.

Last edited by TWIN CAM 96; 02-18-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:59 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master

Originally Posted by TWIN CAM 96
I went with Amsoil shock therapy #10 in forks & stock air shocks it rides real nice now I think that #15 is to heavy. Stock is #5 HD "E" type I believe. You really can't improve the air stocks to much but Amsoil #10 did alot more than what I thought it would do. One day I'll go with Ohlins all around but this will hold me for awhile & for less than $40.00. Bel ray is a good product I'd just try a lighter weight it only takes an hour or so to change the fork oil.
I thought stock was 10wt, and the one to use was 15wt.

David

Old 02-18-2014, 10:08 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check with the stealer that's want I was told by to of them but if the #15 is to heavy it's only 1 or 1 1/2 hrs to change it again pretty easy. Talk to other riders & see what they run then decide.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:08 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I use Bel Rey 15 wt and it works great. Doesnt bounce up and down like stock weight when you use front brake, but is not as stiff as the SE 20 weight either. A very nice balance if you ask me.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:11 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master

Originally Posted by AnthonyFLHX
I use Bel Rey 15 wt and it works great. Doesnt bounce up and down like stock weight when you use front brake, but is not as stiff as the SE 20 weight either. A very nice balance if you ask me.
I was thinking the 15wt was what most were going with to help with front end diving under braking.

Thanks

David

Old 02-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I went with the HD Screamin Eagle "Heavy" and it worked out well...not sure what the weight is. Used the drain & fill method because the dealer and an indy wanted to charge me 3 hours of labor to do it. Removing the forks is unnecessary. Gave me much better control.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:06 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't get hung up on brand names or weight value, all fluids in a given weight class are not equal, upper and lower temp viscosity can vary greatly. Search the internet for suspension fluid charts for a real comparison and an idea of what direction to go. Fluid change is decent interim fix but there is no high tech OEM fork valve, changing to heavy fluid may reduce brake dive but it will also affect compression and damping. Not bashing the approach or saying don't do it, just be aware of what your're doing to all functions of the forks.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:36 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EasTexUltra12
I was thinking the 15wt was what most were going with to help with front end diving under braking.

Thanks

David

Bel Ray is one of the oldest names in the motorcycle industry. I've been using the stuff since the late 60's.
I also use 15 wt in the front and it helped with brake dive to be sure. Just keep it at the same level as stock.
If this is the first time the bike has had the fork oil changed out you're in for a big smile the first time you ride it with the new stuff. That stock stuff is horrible. I think it's some kind of salad dressing in Japan that doubles for fork oil in Showa forks.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:51 PM
2-Piece
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used 15wt in my road king. Huge difference I will try 20wt next time but I'm a heavy guy. 10wt in rear shocks also made a big difference.

Quick Reply: Anyone running Bel-Ray 15w fork oil?