Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius/XM radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:11 PM
jack6hd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mounted mine next to my Power Vision. Easy access.

Last edited by jack6hd; 03-20-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:07 AM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,163 Likes on 2,936 Posts

I'm going to utilize the new aux input made for the infotainment systems and have input# 3 setup. My question is how have people mounted they're docks and the antenna for function and fashion. I already own and have subscription on a Onyx. There is not a lot of room on the bars on a 14 FLHTK.
Steve

Last edited by Dsm Limited; 10-18-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:51 AM
Padre
Club Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
I'm going to utilize the new aux input made for the infotainment systems and have input# 3 setup. My question is how have people mounted they're docks and the antenna for function and fashion. I already own and have subscription on a Onyx. There is not a lot of room on the bars on a 14 FLHTK.
Steve
Whatever you do, do not put the antenna inside the fairing. Your reception will really suffer. When I had the dealer install my unit I had the antenna put on the top of the fairing, just behind the windshield. Works great. Reception great.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,163 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Originally Posted by Padre
Whatever you do, do not put the antenna inside the fairing. Your reception will really suffer. When I had the dealer install my unit I had the antenna put on the top of the fairing, just behind the windshield. Works great. Reception great.
Is yours the the module that plugs into the infotainment or is it a sirius xm dock system?

Old 10-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Padre
Club Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
Is yours the the module that plugs into the infotainment or is it a sirius xm dock system?
I have the module. The dealer installed it but I asked the service guy to put it outside the fairing. They did a really nice job, and I haven't lost signal yet.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:43 AM
SteviJ
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose7232
Blue tooth it off your phone, cost 3 bucks a month if you already have a subscription for your car, plus your data plan.
That only works if you have cellular reception. Some of the best riding, at least in my area, is in areas with spotty or no cellular coverage.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:59 AM
Beretta52
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Budda Belly
Is there a way to configure the infotainment center for a portable satellite radio instead of the overpriced $400.00 module for the satellite radio.

Thanks,
Ed
I use my cell phone and connect Bluetooth with Pandora radio which I like better & NO cost to download Pandora on your phone... works great. No way I'd drop $400 for a module when Pandora is free..

Old 03-10-2015, 12:26 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Beretta52
I use my cell phone and connect Bluetooth with Pandora radio which I like better & NO cost to download Pandora on your phone... works great. No way I'd drop $400 for a module when Pandora is free..
Pandora is free for a certain amount of hours per month; if you exceed that they'll want you to get a paid subscription or pay for the remainder of the current month & then the timer will start over for the new month. I found that out listening to it at work.

If you buy the module on line from a discount dealer, you can get it for $320. Don't mount the little "Chicklet" sized antenna under the fairing; I tried that & it worked horribly. I moved it to the top of the dash, to the immediate right of the vent & I have excellent reception - I can even listen in the garage. For me it really was the best solution.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:53 PM
58sniper
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinch
If you buy the module on line from a discount dealer, you can get it for $320. Don't mount the little "Chicklet" sized antenna under the fairing; I tried that & it worked horribly. I moved it to the top of the dash, to the immediate right of the vent & I have excellent reception - I can even listen in the garage. For me it really was the best solution.

I'm assuming that required you to drill a hole in the inner fairing? Got pics?

Old 03-11-2015, 07:18 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 58sniper
I'm assuming that required you to drill a hole in the inner fairing? Got pics?
No, no hole to drill! I don't have pics & the bike is in storage so I can't take one. The bottom of the little square shaped antenna is magnetic, but since the top of the dash is plastic I used a very small piece of double sided tape to hold it in place.

To get it there, I pulled off the front of the fairing & pulled the antenna off of its metal mount & placed it on the dash where I wanted it. The wire to the antenna is a fairly small diameter & it actually runs under the windshield as it comes up to the top of the dash - actually, the top right side of the vent (opposite side of the open/close button) is where I have it mounted. Since I didn't have a small, round file I took a small diameter drill bit & made rounded, vertical groove in the very front edge of the fairing vent for the wire to lay in, so the windshield would lay flat on top of the wire. This is all hidden when the front of the fairing is in place.

I think I'm making it sound more complicated than it is. It was a simple job, and made a world of difference in the performance of my XM unit. The reception is now on par with that of our SUV, which has a factory roof mounted antenna. Before I moved the antenna, I was ready to cancel the subscription & list the module on EBay because I couldn't stand to listen to it. It would constantly drop the signal; sometimes I would get a message across the screen telling me there was no signal. Now I have a full "3 bars" of reception most of the time.

Quick Reply: Sirius/XM radio