Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuses keep blowing

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 12:02 AM
bunotz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fuses keep blowing

I started up my 08 Road King today after being on the battery tender for a few months. However I took notice the turn signals and brake light did not work. I checked the fuses and the accessory and P&A fuse were blown. I change the fuses out, turn the ignition/headlamp switch on and they both blew instantly again. Any idea what the issue could be, there is nothing extra attached to the battery and I made no changes to the bike before putting it away for the winter. Thanks

Old 03-07-2014, 01:10 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

You've got a short somewhere. I'm guessing somewhere, there is a bare wire making contact with metal on your RK, causing the fuse to pop.

I recently ran into an issue on a bike I helped look over. It was an Ultra Classic, and the front fender tip light wires were damaged because the clips came off the inside of the fender, allowing the wires to rub/chafe on the tire.

It was causing a fuse to pop as well, and if I recall, it was the same one. I can't be certain.

I'd suggest getting the bike on a jack, and looking it over really well with a flashlight. This may be a tough one to isolate.

Good luck, and Semper Fi.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:11 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

sounds like you have a short circuit...like insulation rubbed off a wire or chewed by mice, and contacting the frame.

disconnect the plug under the seat for all the rear lighting.

if fuse holds, then you have isolated problem to the harness which runs to the rear. ( and for this testing i would suggest replacing the 15 A fuses with lower rating - like 2 A - to reduce any damage to wiring or sparks)

if you have a lowered bike, the tire could have chewed some wires...or road debris...or mickey mouse.
or you could even have a bad bulb.
remove the bulbs from the sockets and try again...if the fuse blows, the wiring is the fault. if not, replace bulbs one at a time with the ign on

try that first.

it is odd that both of those 15 amp fuses would blow at same time as they control different circuits/ loads on the bike...

BTW fuse in which the metal inside looks like it just sagged and melted indicates too much load for that fuse rating
a fuse in which the metal is spattered and maybe shows soot/ carbon from arcing indicates a short circuit.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-07-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:10 AM
jgrohio
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure how yo ustore it but ck for mice, up in nooks and crannies they play hell with wires

Old 03-07-2014, 11:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Use a multimeter to check current draw on each of the blown fuses. Remove one bulb at a time on each fuse and check draw again, to see if you can identify the culprit. As suggested there are probably a couple of wires touching ground. Has your bike got non-stock bars, by any chance?

Old 03-07-2014, 11:49 AM
CMORGA43
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check the rear wiring harness that runs from behind the seat to the rear tail light. I had this same issue and it kept blowing the fuses that ran the brake light, turn signal, and cruise.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:06 PM
Rjwendt
Stage IV

My brake fuse blows as soon as I turn key switch on. Have unplugged rear harness .
I have done no mods to bike at all
Also abs just keeps flashing
Another problem is front turns work fine but both rear flash
2010 street glide

Old 04-12-2014, 08:09 PM
Rjwendt
Stage IV

I have unplugged this harness

Old 04-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Rjwendt
Stage IV