Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tie down handlebar points?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 12:06 AM
hanny
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tie down handlebar points?

just picked up a new trailer (aluma mc-10) and trying to see where guys tie down the front end. The obvious spot would be soft ties on the hand grips but that kinda tears up the grips some. Your thots?

I do tow mine a couple times a year for different reasons, take care paul

Last edited by hanny; 03-08-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:11 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Dam nice trailer! I use a 6x10 wood flat bed. Got to answer. I use the trees to tie down.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:13 AM
Brykwil
Tourer

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-down-brackets

I haven't used them but they look like they would work well.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:13 AM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't tie up on the handlebars. Loop your soft ties around each side of your top triple tree. I normally tighten them so that approximately half of the suspension travel is taken up while trailering.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:19 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you adding a Condor chock or something similar or just using tie down points on the trailer? I have the Condor and I tie two tiedowns to the front fork tubes pulling into the chock and two on the back onto the passenger footboard brackets which are bolted to the frame. What I like about this arrangement is that I don't compress the front suspension. Has held the bikes with no problems.

If you don't have a Condor then tie down to the frame near the triple tree. People do tie to the bars but they really aren't hard enough to handle a large load. Odds are you wouldn't have a problem, but why chance it.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:34 AM
hanny
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Brykwil

I haven't used them but they look like they would work well.
thanks for the link I think that's the ticket!!!!!!

Old 03-08-2014, 12:34 AM
hanny
Road Captain

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider
Are you adding a Condor chock or something similar or just using tie down points on the trailer? I have the Condor and I tie two tiedowns to the front fork tubes pulling into the chock and two on the back onto the passenger footboard brackets which are bolted to the frame. What I like about this arrangement is that I don't compress the front suspension. Has held the bikes with no problems.

If you don't have a Condor then tie down to the frame near the triple tree. People do tie to the bars but they really aren't hard enough to handle a large load. Odds are you wouldn't have a problem, but why chance it.
adding a condor, bought today on order.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:43 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

DO NOT tie to the bars.

the bars are mounted to rubber bushings

if you crank down on them, you may deform the bushings.
repair requires pulling alot of stuff off to replace $5 in bushings

also the bars should be able to be be pushed out of position ( same with pegs/ floorboards etc.) this is so that if the bike crashes, the bars can't dig in and start a pinwheel

that's why the bars are not a good tie down location, they are supposed to be able to move

try strapping to the crash bar near the center bolt.

compress the forks about an inch ( do not crank them down, you can blow the seals)

make sure excess strap won't blow in the wind and scuff your paint ( DO NOT try to use a cover or tarp for same reason--- you'll be buying a paint job)

if using a locking type chock, make sure that the chock clears the rear portion of the fender when it comes up to lock - seen an ultra fender get damaged this way

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-08-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:57 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Can't tie to the trees on a '14 like earlier models without doing some work.

The brake lines and wires are fastened where the straps would go.

I bought the chrome tie down points from HD, and they work awesome.

As mentioned, don't tie to the handlebars..

You should pull into the suspension a little bit, but not compressed to the stops.

Remember to tie it down for the worst case scenario, you never know when blue hair is going to pull out in front of you and stop, just sayin'

I use 6 straps when tying my bike in a trailer, 2 to the trees pulling down and into the chock, 2 to the rear, somewhere solid like a peg mount or frame, pulling each way so the *** end doesn't bounce and 2 to the front, usually the front footboard mount pulling back just in case the chock fails.

And I will not use the cam lock style straps, I use only high quality ratchet straps. I figure I've got over 30 grand in the bike, I can afford a hundred and fifty bucks in straps.

I really like the Condor style chocks, I want one for my lift, but I like regular tube chocks for my trailer.

I've got thousands and thousands of miles with bikes in my trailer and not so much as a scratch.

Last edited by SafetyMan; 03-08-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:08 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I've got an Atlas 1500 lift, so mine gets tied down quite a bit, I bought these that were mentioned above.. and it makes it easy.

I put some thick shrink tube on my hooks, just so the thin rubber on the hook doesn't get cut on the edge of the bracket and then damage the chrome and let it start to rust.

Quick Reply: tie down handlebar points?