Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16" apes install issues road king....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 03:56 AM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 370 Posts
Default 16" apes install issues road king....

ok so after having 3 shops tell me 600 bucks plus, to install a non internally wired set of bars, i decided to do it myself

so, i was worried about the electrical aspect of the job, but that's the least of my issues.

i extended all the wires and hooked them back up, soldered and heat shrink all connection and the electrical aspect is perfect on the bike.

so her are my issues

the throttle cables are a mess, i installed both lines and there was no correct movement on the throttle, so i took off the return line and the throttle spins and closes as it should.

why does one cable separate and the other is a solid sleeved cable. the cable that separates is the one i am having an issue with, once i install it, my throttle does not snap back closed properly.

2nd...

installed new brake lines and distribution block

so i my right side brake does not have any fluid going to it. i loosen each connection and there is fluid dripping from them. but i can not get any fluid to suck out of the bleeder valve.

on the other hand, the left side installed perfect and works as it should.

when up on the stand i can spin the wheel but there is a good amount of rotor spinning noise from the friction of the brake pads, i do not know what side it is coming from.

3rd... i have not installed the clutch cable yet, i have to remove the exhaust to get the trans cover off and then figure out how to install the cable

so when i loosen the nut on the primary and reinstall the clutch cable, how do i know when the clutch cable is installed with the correct amount of play?

any help would be great.

recap:
how do i install throttle cables correctly
how do i get a non bleeding side of the brakes to bleed
correct steps in installing a clutch cable

Last edited by gartec81; 03-15-2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:12 AM
Rickierockit92
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

judos brotha for doing it yourself!! on my old heritage and my fathers we did same hitng and went through same process.. try to play with the throttle cables and see wha you can do. you are running them on inside of tanks right? make sure they have enough slack from the carb.. like its not bent coming right off of it. (guessing it is carbureted) jimmy jam it and play with it to see what works. with the clutch cable I have heard different thing but what I have gone by is if standing bike up straight.. pull the cable out and from the housing from which the cable goes into (on the bars) the gap should be just wide enough to fit nickel in the space. make sure the lever has a little but of play but grabs as it should. you will get the hang of it especially if you set it all up, start it and just play with the clutch lever until you get a good feel. close the brake system and pump the lever 10 times. with the brake level not compressed, open the bleeder valve and let it gravity bleed until fluid comes out.. if no fluid comes out. do it again. do it 5 or 6 times. if that doesn't work, open the bleeder valve and slowly compress the lever and tighten then valve as handle is compressed. once the valve is tightened, you can let go of lever. repeat as said 5 to 6 times. make sure the reservoir does not go dry! keep checking for fluid being pumped through the system. let me know if you run into more problems while trying all this.