Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VHT wrinkle on a/c

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 03:46 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default VHT wrinkle on a/c

I put a stage one a/c on my limited about a year ago and I'm tired of seeing the aluminum sticking out from behind the cover against the black cases. I was thinking of spraying the a/c with the VHT wrinkle black but it says it's only good up to 350* intermittent temps. I ran the bike today and the areas that bolt to the heads only got up to about 110* but that was just from idling in the garage, how hot will those spots get on a hot day during a long ride? If they get anywhere close to 350* I will use the 1300*-2000* VHT flat black, I just think it would look better with a little texture on it. Has anyone used the wrinkle black and baked it in the oven like it says to? It says that the texture will get tighter which would be good, I don't want it extremely textured, but the coating on the cases aren't perfectly smooth so I would like to try and match that best as possible. That's in advance

Old 03-16-2014, 04:11 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

I have alot of that stuff on my FXR- been on there since 1990 with good results.

roughened the surfaces well, cleaned them, followed directions and laid the parts out in the warm summer sun.
My finish is quite textured though.

i think H-D sells textured black to match the motor

either way, don't allow paint inside the filtered area.

the cast grey air cleaner backing plates look crap against a black/chrome motor.

for the next time, the Ness big sucker with chrome backing plate is much cheaper than the grey screaming eagle. ( ebay easternpc about $120)

mike

Old 03-16-2014, 04:27 PM
monster715
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mkguitar
I have alot of that stuff on my FXR- been on there since 1990 with good results.

roughened the surfaces well, cleaned them, followed directions and laid the parts out in the warm summer sun.
My finish is quite textured though.

i think H-D sells textured black to match the motor

either way, don't allow paint inside the filtered area.

the cast grey air cleaner backing plates look crap against a black/chrome motor.

for the next time, the Ness big sucker with chrome backing plate is much cheaper than the grey screaming eagle. ( ebay easternpc about $120)

mike
Right on mike thanks for the info I'll check out the hd stuff. I'm surprised hd doesn't offer that backing plate in black, everything else comes in black now a days. I was warned by a reputable engine shop years ago to be cautions using the ness big sucker. Something about sub par hardware. They installed it on a customers bike and the head of a bolt snapped off while on the dyno and destroyed the motor. Not saying hd has any better hardware anymore, everything comes from china

Old 03-16-2014, 04:38 PM
robfaulkner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrinkle paint..

I painted my A/C cover with the VHT wrinkle paint, and baked it in the oven to cure. Turned out great. Then put a coat or two of clear coat over it. Also did the "border" on the passenger running boards. Did them at least two years ago and they are still looking good. I did scuff the metal before painting. Check the attached pics.

Attached Thumbnails VHT wrinkle on a/c-hd-ac-cover.jpg   VHT wrinkle on a/c-hd-passenger-running-boards.jpg  
Old 03-16-2014, 04:52 PM
monster715
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by robfaulkner
I painted my A/C cover with the VHT wrinkle paint, and baked it in the oven to cure. Turned out great. Then put a coat or two of clear coat over it. Also did the "border" on the passenger running boards. Did them at least two years ago and they are still looking good. I did scuff the metal before painting. Check the attached pics.
That looks good but I think you need to straighten out that cover . Jk. I was looking to paint the actual backing plate, just worried about the heat from the head affecting it

Old 03-16-2014, 07:28 PM
robfaulkner
Cruiser

You are right - it is crooked! Guess when I cleaned the bike before winter storage it got put on crooked! Oh well, another 1 or 2 months til riding season here in NS so I have lots of time to fix it!!

Last edited by robfaulkner; 03-16-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:36 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by robfaulkner
...so I have lots of time to fix it!!
yeah, 6 days of "riding season" each year.

Ha!

I left HFX 30 years ago.

Mike

Old 03-16-2014, 07:40 PM
monster715
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mkguitar
yeah, 6 days of "riding season" each year.

Ha!

I left HFX 30 years ago.

Mike
Cali sucks but on a good note I've only had about 6 weeks total without the bike this year!

Old 03-16-2014, 08:25 PM
robfaulkner
Cruiser
Default number of riding days...

Off topic for sure, but I do envy you AZ and CA guys for the length of your riding season -365 days!! I spent 3 weeks riding in AZ in the fall of 2012. Was great! I do have a home in FL which we will use for 6 months next winter, so that will be better than it is here right now with the cold wind howling off the Northumberland Strait!!

Old 03-16-2014, 09:46 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Well really horrible rainstorms have robbed us of maybe 2 weeks of riding in my area. Coldest day was for me about down to 27.

Quick Reply: VHT wrinkle on a/c