Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Howard's 49mm Fork Review

Old 06-26-2015, 11:09 AM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And what stage is the triple tree production now?

Old 09-15-2015, 05:49 PM
bluethunder110
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide front end parts to fit my 2007 Softail Custom FXSTC mental project.

what is the distance between the tubes (at the tree) on a Rushmore bagger and are they all the same?

Last edited by bluethunder110; 09-15-2015 at 11:34 PM. Reason: update year and add CVO question.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by bluethunder110
what is the distance between the tubes (at the tree) on a Rushmore bagger and are they all the same?
A feature of the Touring bikes, compared with the other models and your Softail, is that the fork legs 'trail' the steering head, in other words they are behind it. So even if Touring trees will fit your bike I suspect they won't be suitable. However the Dyna models also use 49mm forks and one of them might be a better donor for your project.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:36 AM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by skypilot_one
And what stage is the triple tree production now?
Any update?

Old 09-24-2015, 04:21 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Update

Originally Posted by fullautomike
Any update?
I was putting away some specialized solvent on top of a cabinet for safe keeping on Friday evening. I hurriedly put one of those 3 step step ladders over the top of a gas can whee the nozzle stuck between the 1st & second step. Ya, you guessed it, saw stars as my back slammed against my shock table 4X4 leg. Woke up Saturday and thought I broke some ribs in the back. A trip to the emergency room & X-rays confirmed I did not. Pain pills because it feels like I had, bruised back rib muscles are excruciating.

I have been working all hours but my production is half speed. I packed up my dresser and complete set of new trees and forks and brought it to the machine shop yesterday, Wednesday, 9.23.15. I had already installed the trees in my shop and they need the top triple tree steering stem hole moved about 0.010" to fit perfect. The clearance of RoadKing nacelle clearance problem has been solved. The horizontal pallet milling machine will have an opening next week to solve the steering stem location issue. Once proofed out and installed on the bike the set up will run enough top triple trees to do 11 installations of which most have been sold. The first installation will be done on a late model Road King at the machine shop and documented.

We will have some open time as the shop is finishing up a run of Cyber Knives (medical field is the real business) machines. They must be calibrated to a tolerance of 0.0001" (1/10 of a thousandth of an inch) using a 27 foot aiming point for the laser. A gun scope is used for manual inspection across the room.

By that time next week I hope not to be taking pain pills (tired all of the time) and not be moving so slowly. The delay is not having any time to devote to this project as well as other new projects such as new 320mm rotor/caliper options (wheel mount) not available and Brembo RCS19 master cylinder to fit utilizing the HD switches with integrated reservoir and mirror mounts. This is a great performance upgrade and fully functional with ABS.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:19 AM
kingmoochr
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know you need to be able to stop fast if these will let us run fast, but jeeze Howard, one thing at a time! I'm anxiously awaiting the end of the fork project so I can order them for my 2002 Road King, glad to hear the end is in sight