Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No power to headlight

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 10:38 AM
generalee
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power to headlight

Put a set of bars on my 10' Street Glide. I have everything else working and bike runs, etc... but I have lost power to headlight somehow? There is no power to the plug. There is power to the auxillary light plug up there. The fuse is good. Any idea what path it takes to fire the light? Im stumped.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:45 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

for most models hot to the switch, the switch selects which is energized, the white wire or the yellow wire.

see if you have power to the switch

mike

Old 03-19-2014, 11:40 AM
generalee
Stage IV

Originally Posted by mkguitar
for most models hot to the switch, the switch selects which is energized, the white wire or the yellow wire.

see if you have power to the switch

mike
No power to switch

Old 03-19-2014, 12:08 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

don't know what year you have. ( recent models use a bus system which is more complicated):

Blue is commonly used by HD for the wire which carries power from the headlight fuse to the left handlebar switch, this circuit runs through a couple of connectors on it's way.

so check power at the fuse with a trouble light and move toward the switch.

guesses are: open circuit inside the bars ( your new wiring), or shorted...in which case the fuse would be blowed.

for trouble shooting a trouble light can be better than a meter as a trouble light places a load on the circuit.
a meter may show voltage that looks correct, but the power doesn;t have enough current to do anything.

mike

Old 03-19-2014, 12:31 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by generalee
Put a set of bars on my 10' Street Glide. I have everything else working and bike runs, etc... but I have lost power to headlight somehow? There is no power to the plug. There is power to the auxillary light plug up there. The fuse is good. Any idea what path it takes to fire the light? Im stumped.
My 2013 SG switches power (high beam/low beam) on the left side switch housing at the grip.......do you have power to either side of the switch?

Old 03-19-2014, 01:07 PM
generalee
Stage IV

Power at fuse both sides. No power at handlebar switch. Its 2010. Also no wires were cut or extended. Just removed pins from plug and routed inside bars. I have double and triple checked that part. I do not think I have power making it up to that plug for bars but not sure what color wires on bike side of plug to check.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:09 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

blue

pin 3 of left hand control

mike

Old 03-19-2014, 02:28 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,247 Likes on 811 Posts

When you pull a pin or socket, many times to push the retaining tab down so it no longer stays in place. Which means sometimes when you plug the two connectors together, the one pin/socket gets pushed right out the back. So look at the backside of the connectors for a pin/socket sticking out a little bit.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:30 AM
Jrindagame
Cruiser

I am having the exact same problem as of today. I did extend my wires though. But I know the solder joints are okay. When I pulled my wires through the left side was actually quite easy with not much force on the wire at all. Please let me know what you find and I will do the same as I am pulling my hair out over this.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:21 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jrindagame
But I know the solder joints are okay.
you'll just have to go through methodically.
start with the suggestions I gave earlier in this thread- do you have power to the switch?
if not, first check the fuse- if ok, follow the power from the switch back thru the harness to the fuse to find the fault

btw- soldered joints do not hold up well on bikes, it may be months or years, but the wire strands will break due to vibration right where the tinning ends.

mike

Quick Reply: No power to headlight