Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help with useing Liquid Glass

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 02:42 PM
wtkpga
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with useing Liquid Glass

Originally Posted by Little Mike View Post

+1 on the prep
Don't fear the claybar it makes a world of difference. Then I compound it with meguiars ultimate compound (unbelievable stuff). Next is a coat of mequiars show car glaze, and then finish with liquid glass.

This sound like a great combination, I just have a few questions before I cross over to the Liquid Glass.

Do you use Liquid Glass pre-cleaner before applying the Liquid Glass or does the claybar, compound and glaze take care of cleaning the surface before applying the Liquid Glass?

I take it there is no problem with the liquid glass bonding to the glaze or wax if you choose to apply it prior to the Liquid Glass?

I know it says to apply in direct sun, but I have the bike in pieces in my basement and would like to do one piece at a time. Do you think it will work out ok if I put it in the sun once its back together and then add an additional layers?

Old 03-23-2014, 03:33 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First let me say that liquid glass is 30 year old technology. Not that old technology doesn't still work 30 years later, but there are better products available now.

Let's be clear what liquid glass is... It's a molecular sealer. It's designed to be applied to a clean, wax free surface in order to protect the paint from the elements. It only makes sense that if it is to bond to the paint, wax or any silicone based agent would clearly inhibit the bond. Personally, if it were my bike, I would get the paint perfect, then wipe a small spot with isopropyl alcohol and test the result. If the paint looks good after the alcohol wipe, I'd proceed with the liquid glass. I can't testify to the protection of liquid glass, but I can say that some of today's sealers are hard enough to stand up to a fine abrasive scuff pad. Hope this helps...

Old 03-23-2014, 05:03 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,005 Likes on 497 Posts

I rarely see liquid glass mentioned anymore, glad others are still using it. I don't know if you absolutely have to use the pre-cleaner or not, but it certainly won't hurt. Liquid glass is the only product that has ever been on my bikes and vehicles and I use the pre-cleaner every other year just to start fresh. Double check the application directions, I always apply it in the garage and then move the bike outside in direct sun to bake it. Applying in a straight line as opposed to circles helps with swirls on darker colors. I'm sure there may be other products available now, but I'll never switch. I just have stock paint and when my bike has a fresh coat of liquid glass on it, it looks a mile deep for a long time and people regularly ask who did my custom paint. In high school a buddies dad collected vettes and had one from every major model year change and the only thing he used was liquid glass, that was good enough for me, been using it ever since. If nothing else it's worth using for the bugs - I've had them caked on and they come off with a wet microfiber like nothing.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,779 Likes on 18,557 Posts

Liquid Glass reminds me of "Blue Coral" which, back in the day, was super.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

I personally have never used it but a few years ago I remember meeting a buddy's new girl friend for the first time and I couldn't help but admire the mile deep shine on her bike. Yep, she said the only thing she uses is Liquid Glass. It was impressive.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:17 PM
booch
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Liquid glass is right up there with disco but using clay bar gives amazing results.
You only think the surface is clean until you compare a surface that has been clay barred to one that hasnt.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:07 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

over the years i have tried everything on black as i have had nothing but black cars and bikes for years. i've found Mequiers nxt tech 2.0 to be about the best for black out there. now i know there is some newer stuff for bkack out there, just have'nt had time to try them.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:27 PM
CaptainKirk
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I've used Liquid Glass since the late '70's on all my vehicles. It protects better and lasts longer than anything else I may have tried over the years. I believe it hardens the finish and protects against chips and sap stains, etc. My only complaint is it's hard to keep off things you don't want it on and hard to get off when that does happen.

I've never used the pre-cleaner but will think about it before I apply it to the new bike. The wax they use to shine it before delivery probably isn't the best out there and I'd like to start fresh. And I always apply 2 coats several hours apart. Apply, bake, repeat. That way you're more likely not to miss anything and get an overall uniform coat.

Once in the Spring usually does it. Then it's a swiffer and detailer for the most part....

Old 03-25-2014, 11:39 AM
wtkpga
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
First let me say that liquid glass is 30 year old technology. Not that old technology doesn't still work 30 years later, but there are better products available now.

Let's be clear what liquid glass is... It's a molecular sealer. It's designed to be applied to a clean, wax free surface in order to protect the paint from the elements. It only makes sense that if it is to bond to the paint, wax or any silicone based agent would clearly inhibit the bond. Personally, if it were my bike, I would get the paint perfect, then wipe a small spot with isopropyl alcohol and test the result. If the paint looks good after the alcohol wipe, I'd proceed with the liquid glass. I can't testify to the protection of liquid glass, but I can say that some of today's sealers are hard enough to stand up to a fine abrasive scuff pad. Hope this helps...
Thanks for the reply. The paint will need to be almost perfect before I will even think about applying the LG. Like many have said, the results are all in the prep!!

Old 03-25-2014, 11:43 AM
wtkpga
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Roadie13
I rarely see liquid glass mentioned anymore, glad others are still using it. I don't know if you absolutely have to use the pre-cleaner or not, but it certainly won't hurt. Liquid glass is the only product that has ever been on my bikes and vehicles and I use the pre-cleaner every other year just to start fresh. Double check the application directions, I always apply it in the garage and then move the bike outside in direct sun to bake it. Applying in a straight line as opposed to circles helps with swirls on darker colors. I'm sure there may be other products available now, but I'll never switch. I just have stock paint and when my bike has a fresh coat of liquid glass on it, it looks a mile deep for a long time and people regularly ask who did my custom paint. In high school a buddies dad collected vettes and had one from every major model year change and the only thing he used was liquid glass, that was good enough for me, been using it ever since. If nothing else it's worth using for the bugs - I've had them caked on and they come off with a wet microfiber like nothing.
Thanks for the first hand review. It says you can apply it to your Chrome. Have you used it on you chrome and if so, how does it look and hold up?

Quick Reply: Need some help with useing Liquid Glass