Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought an '05 Classic Today Sight Unseen

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:36 PM
jb4124
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought an '05 Classic Today Sight Unseen

So I'm two years into riding, but today I bought my first Harley - An '05 Electa Glide Classic - on ebay. Am I crazy? Possibly. Lets take this a step further... I've never ridden ANY touring bike, let alone this one. Lets go another step further... the bike is 650 miles from home, and I'm going to fly out there and ride it back.

I must be crazy.

I need some advice, any advice, for my journey home. For reference, I've been on a Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc cruiser) for the duration of my two years in riding. I had never even sat on a motorcycle before I bought that one. I guess I'm continuing the trend with my foray into Harley's...

Old 03-28-2014, 11:53 PM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Welcome aboard

Firstly, a 600+ mile trip is a good introduction to riding a Harley. I'm all for that. Of course I don't know the weather conditions in your area, so keep an eye on that. Now, having said that ...........
I bought my bike used from a guy 2 states and another country away. We compromised on the delivery, and met about 1/4 of the way to my home. I decided not to ride it, but in fact trailered it home.
He stood 6'2" with a 34" inseam, and had a seat built up for him specifically. I stand 5'8" on a good day. On his seat, I couldn't put my feet on the ground at a stop. Nothing like falling over as you come to a stop at Canada Customs!
I assume you had it checked out, mechanically. Not fun to break down on the road home.
Hmmmmm. Personally, if I had not seen it, and not ridden a Harley before, I might offer to pay the seller his air fare back, if he would ride it to my house.
Have a great summer!

Old 03-29-2014, 12:03 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Alter Kaker
...... a 600+ mile trip is a good introduction to riding a Harley..........
...... try to take some 2 lane for the 1st 150 miles & get used to the bike, you'll be fine.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:21 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Just ride it. You'll figure it out.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:41 AM
zxbob
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome bike - I had an 06 I just parted with ...... Enjoy the ride !

Old 03-29-2014, 06:48 AM
2ksoftail
3rd Gear

AK is dead on. What if you get out there and it don't fit(a tempory thing)? Be prepared to rent a truck and hauler home. Don't make your first Harley.....your last

Old 03-29-2014, 08:34 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Good luck on the ride home. Take it easy. Post some pics when you get home. JR

Old 03-29-2014, 08:36 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I've bought three harleys off ebay, sight unseen. Been Happy with them all. Still have two. Have a fun ride home!!

Old 03-29-2014, 09:09 AM
jb4124
Novice

Fit should be fine, as I'm 6'2". I plan on having it serviced at a local Harley dealer down there before I hit the road. Other than that, I do plan on finding some residential streets and/or two lane roads to putt around on while I get a feel for it. After that, it's cruise control on the open road...

I'm pumped!

Old 03-29-2014, 09:13 AM
warking
Cruiser

i will give you some advice - make sure you have a great ride home. fantastic way to learn your new bike. you will have forgotten what you were worried about after a few miles. this is based on the assumption that you are not a midget like some of the other posters.

i bought my flhpi site unseen from the other side of the world & did all the correct checks and balances & it all worked out great. i hope you have done the same & if so then you should have no worries with your purchase. congrats on your new bike mate.

edit : & i will add that my experience went so well that im shortly going to begin my hunt for a bones : )

Quick Reply: Bought an '05 Classic Today Sight Unseen