Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing rear wheel to replace tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:18 AM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Removing rear wheel to replace tire

Read the threads and think I got it. Have V&H Propipe so plan to remove top shock bolts to remove axle. Then jack bike back up to remove wheel. Question about adjusting belt tension. Do the shock bolts need to be installed to get the correct swing arm angle to check belt tension?

Old 04-03-2014, 11:48 AM
collin
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually check and or adjust the tension before removing the wheel and mark the eccentric cam adjusters with a sharpie and just put it where it was.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:59 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I marked my cam eccentric with a punch before pulling the axle. Both times I've changed tires, I double checked the belt tension and it's been spot on using my marks.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:24 PM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is how I do it as well. Belt tension and wheel alignment are alway right on the money.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by collin
I usually check and or adjust the tension before removing the wheel and mark the eccentric cam adjusters with a sharpie and just put it where it was.
That's how I do it also.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Yes shocks has to be installed to get it right.Twist the belt with two fingers about 45 degree twist is perfect, less or more too tight or loose and check on few location to get it right. When torquing the axle nut make sure to hold the opposite side in place with another wrench or it will move and belt will get out of adjustment.Don't know your bike model but it is important on 08 or later touring harley to torque correctly or wheel bearings will fail premature.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:46 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

A belt tension gauge is only about 25.00. Spend the money and do the job right. And the shocks do need to be hooked up to get the belt adjustment right.

Bill

Old 04-04-2014, 09:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

It is so straight-forward to check and get right that I just remove the wheel and bother about getting it right after I refit the wheel! Buy the tension gauge, if you don't have one. I've had mine 24 years and it still works fine!

Old 04-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Fairshake
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year bike do you have? Why do the shocks need removal?You should only need to remove any exhaust that is in the way. If you have a jack that allows you to reach enough height for the wheel to clear after the axle is removed. Later Fairshake

Old 04-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Rdgray
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok have a question. All you guys that say you check the belt tension and it is spot on, so you mark it and put it back in the same spot. If you know when it is correct, then why are you marking it, just remove it put it back and adjust. Like grbrown said pretty straight forward.

Quick Reply: Removing rear wheel to replace tire