Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop 2nd Generation American Elite

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:20 PM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a rear on 14,000 miles ago and it still has 6/32. I'm looking for 20k out of it. Very happy. Front has 6,000 and still has 5/32 left on it. I'll replace them with the same AE tires when the time comes.

Ride Safe

David

Old 04-29-2014, 08:37 PM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the AE 2's on my limited. i like them so far but I am perplexed by the tread pattern. It seems like it would channel water to the center of the tire rather than out toward the sidewall. I have never heard an explanation for this and have not had this set out is a hard rain yet. I assume there is good engineering behind the design but it sure looks odd to me.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:49 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master

Originally Posted by Charlie Fogg
i have the AE 2's on my limited. i like them so far but I am perplexed by the tread pattern. It seems like it would channel water to the center of the tire rather than out toward the sidewall. I have never heard an explanation for this and have not had this set out is a hard rain yet. I assume there is good engineering behind the design but it sure looks odd to me.
I never noticed that, I had to go out and look at mine and then check the directional arrow to make sure it was right. Whatever.....after 14,000 miles and several hard "rain rides", I can assure you that they do a great job on wet roads regardless of the tread pattern.

David

Old 04-30-2014, 08:36 AM
butta-bing
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000 miles

I got mine a few weeks back, had them installed then left on a 1000+ mile trip to the TX hill country. THREE SISTERS
It was 600+ miles of switch backs, climbs, descents, some being silly with friends, as in going faster then we should, me on my 2009 Harley bagger FLHTC.
The highway miles , [over 500] were ok , just seemed a little hard, as in over inflated at 40 lbs. However on the switch backs, they held tight.
We did the sisters several times while there some areas only a GPS could find, was great!
All in all the Dunlap's did ok , Did they do great? no, but for $300.00 for the pair, shipped from Wilson, I cant bitch.
Next time gonna try the [DARK SIDE] After 50 K its time to suck it up and quit being a wheenie LOL

Old 04-30-2014, 08:50 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

i have almost 20000 on mine and they are starting to show the wear. will probably have to get some soon. so, do you guys buy the tires and have an indi swap them for you, the dealer do it or do you do it yourself? looks like it would be a pita if you don't have a tire changer.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:57 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master

Originally Posted by cass
i have almost 20000 on mine and they are starting to show the wear. will probably have to get some soon. so, do you guys buy the tires and have an indi swap them for you, the dealer do it or do you do it yourself? looks like it would be a pita if you don't have a tire changer.
I have them shipped direct to a local indy shop. I use to remove the wheels and take them in, but he doesn't charge that much more. I just bring the bike in and let him mess with the whole thing.

David

Old 04-30-2014, 09:36 AM
TVH475
Tourer

Does anyone know if these are offered in wide whites yet?
Thanks

Old 05-01-2014, 11:04 PM
GoofySB
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Old 05-01-2014, 11:08 PM
blue66
Cruiser

Got tires mounted and balanced today. Got the rear installed..... looks good. Will get the front on and go for a ride Sat....

Old 05-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I've got first gen AE's. Just noticed a lot of wire showing on my rear. There is so much tread on the tire that it too me by surprise when doing a tune up. If it's true that second gen has more (or harder) rubber down the middle then that is definitely what I'd like. I've gotten 20K out of it. Was thinking hard about the Michelin but considering how well the AE did and that they have imprived it I guess I'll stick with them. Gotta find this rebate that was just mentioned. Hopefully I can get a rebate on only a rear b/c my front is still OK.

Quick Reply: Dunlop 2nd Generation American Elite