Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I know if I have a Stage 1 upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How do I know if I have a Stage 1 upgrade?

Bought 02 Ultra used. PO had passed and I bought the bike from his wife. She doesn't know anything about it. Had slipon's and SE air cleaner. So I'm assuming it had a stage 1. Upgraded pipes to V&H Propipe 2:1 and bought a used V&H fuel pack. V&H tech guys give me a map to download based on a stage 1 being installed on the bike. Getting a lot of vibration and not seeing a HUGE amount of performance improvement. Also getting some pop on deceleration BUT the bike runs much cooler. I wondering if I should install a map for a completely stock bike. Is there a way of checking to see if my bike has a stage one download?

Old 04-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Harttoo
Road Master

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucker99
Bought 02 Ultra used. PO had passed and I bought the bike from his wife. She doesn't know anything about it. Had slipon's and SE air cleaner. So I'm assuming it had a stage 1. Upgraded pipes to V&H Propipe 2:1 and bought a used V&H fuel pack. V&H tech guys give me a map to download based on a stage 1 being installed on the bike. Getting a lot of vibration and not seeing a HUGE amount of performance improvement. Also getting some pop on deceleration BUT the bike runs much cooler. I wondering if I should install a map for a completely stock bike. Is there a way of checking to see if my bike has a stage one download?
If You can rev over 6000 rpm, You have a stage 1 download.If it stops pulling at 5500 rpm You don't.

Last edited by Harttoo; 04-08-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:26 PM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

have you checked under the seat/side panels for a fuelpak or power commander unit?

also, it may not have a standard harley stage 1 download, it could have a race-tuner job done at a dyno shop like mine did. i had the harley dealership check into it, and all they could tell me was that it had been tuned by someone, but it wasnt a HD tuner.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:24 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The stage 1 download isn't going to have a lot of affect on decel pop or vibration. The stage 1 only adds a couple degrees in idle area and 10 degrees in the high decel area and takes away 1 to 4 degrees in the cruise area and high load area. It only adds fuel in the wot area from 3 to 6%. If the vibration is happening under load and in low rpm area I would try having a richer map from idle all the way up since you are not seeing any improvement. Lean condition can cause the vibration. If you can update your fuelpak yourself I would add 5% more fuel. The Propipe is a fine exhaust and it does lean the bike out. All 2 in 1's need to be richened up. The vibration can also be caused by loose motormount or bad, or loose brackets on the exhaust and such. That decel pop is good indicator the engine is lean and lack of performance is probably lean also. If the plugs and wires haven't been changed I would consider doing that also. That won't cause the decel pop, but can cause vibration and poor performance. May also want to have fuel filter and or pressure checked and air leaks around the intake.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Tucker99
Road Master

So a stage 1 upgrade only increases or retards timing and adds fuel to WOT?

Old 04-09-2014, 12:21 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucker99
So a stage 1 upgrade only increases or retards timing and adds fuel to WOT?
That is correct. I have a couple of the stage 1 download maps I snagged while putting PV's on bikes. Also have the stock map to compare to and that is how I know the difference.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:34 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ke5rbd
That is correct. I have a couple of the stage 1 download maps I snagged while putting PV's on bikes. Also have the stock map to compare to and that is how I know the difference.
This is exactly what was done in the early days: try to feed as much gas as possible and adapt the timing to burn it
Today this is called optimization.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:55 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

If you know the dealer he bought it from, you can give them the VIN # and they can tell you if it was flashed. That is what was done on my '03, and it runs great.
Did you change your spark plugs? They are cheap.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Tucker99
Road Master

Bike revs up to 6K RPM without any problem so pretty sure I have a stage 1. I installed a Smartpartz quiet baffle to quiet up the Propipe a bit and thought that would make it run rich, but that's not the case. The V&H tech gave me some new values to change on the Fuelpak so I'll give that a try. These Fuelpak seem to be the best option without major engine upgrades, so I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:48 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

A Stage 1 upgrade is a free flowing air cleaner, free flowing exhaust and a tune. The tune can come from HD in the form of a useless download, SERT, or in the form of an aftermarket tuning device.
If you have the obvious two out of three you likely also have the tune to go with it.

Quick Reply: How do I know if I have a Stage 1 upgrade?