Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what kind of oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:02 PM
mzlanette
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what kind of oil do you use?

I find that Johnson & Johnson baby oil works just fine. Then of course K-Y has a new warming oil out that is supposed to be top notch, but i haven't tried it yet......
Ok....so I thought you were talking penetration, not simple lubrication

And dangit, i'm in the wrong thread too....hell fire and damnation!!

Old 05-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jammer25309

I have an '07 Electraglide Standard. At the 1,000 mile service I asked the service manager if I could go ahead and go synthetic and he said they are recommending not to go synthetic until the 5,000 mile service. The head mechanic and service manager said these '07 bikes need longer for everything to seal and shouldn't go to synthetic until the 5,000 mile service.
What a load of crap. If I were you I would get a manual and service your own bike. If that's not your cup of tea (which for many it's not) no problem, just find a wrench who knows his A$$ from a hole in the ground. [:'(]

Old 05-28-2007, 07:04 PM
vasser
Advanced

ORIGINAL: mzlanette

Then of course K-Y has a new warming oil out that is supposed to be top notch, but i haven't tried it yet......
Now that makes more sense, faster warmup all the time

Old 05-28-2007, 07:12 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chicago Spike

That "White Paper" test, was forwarded to each oil company before and after the results were known. ANY company that did a test like this certainly would be SUED hand over fist by any company that could prove the tests were faked in any way shape or form. The fact that not one of them has said "BOO-HOO" about this test should tell everyone a little.
Yep, AMSOIL paid for the oils and the lab time, no doubt there. To say they bought off all the oil company lawyers and marketing heads is just insane. In this day and age of lawsuit happy people, and just one of those tests were to be faked, AMSOIL would no longer be in business.
As I've said many times in response to this notion, I doubt if Exxon-Mobil or even the smaller oil companies are concerned with any threat imparted by this test. Amsoil is not a big seller of oil products in comparison to Mobil 1, for example, and I doubt if the other "boutique" brands (Amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline, etc.) feel particularly threatened by it. I know that Royal Purple is the favorite of most racers (car, motorcycles, and boats) and RP has recently started selling on the retail level in Pep Boys, O'Reilly, and Napa stores. They are making all the oil they can sell and are not worried about competitors. I can't speak for the others, but I think it is a stretch to think they really care about hyperbole in the marketplace. You hear it hourly in TV commercials.

I used something besides Amsoil in my '96 RK, another top-drawer synthetic, and rode it 106k miles before trading it in last November. The heads were never off that bike and the last compression test done showed 158/158, the bike used no more oil than in 1997 when purchased, and ran like new. Previous compression tests, done every year since 1998, were always between 155 and 160 lbs. in both cylinders. Could Amsoil do better? How long will this engine last using this oil? You don't know and neither do I. How can you quantify the relative superiority of one oil over another in a real-world scenario? You can't, as it is impossible to maintain total parity in the environment.

The only point I'm making here is the inappropriate use of the word "best" in such a categorical context. It simply isn't supported by any evidence that I've seen, including the Amsoil White Paper.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: vasser

Here's a question for the " amsoil experts" that claim amsoil to be the best and as stated above. The famous white pages they produce at their expense to promote their product. Has anyone ever seen people trying to promote another brand oil like the dealers on this and other sites like amsoil does? It's the old pyramid system at work again, the old amway system. I sell to you and you sell to the next guy and I make a proifit on your purchase and also on your sales too. Not hard to get caught up in the amsoil scheme when you want to make some money![/align]
Sure you do, just watch any auto race on TV. M1, Castrol, and many others go to great lengths to sell their stuff. It is also, NOT a pyramid scheme, those are illegal and no one sells anything to anyone outside the triangle. No one, sells me the oil I sell. People pay me, and I pay AMSOIL to ship that person their order. Done, no other steps or levels.

As I said above, if ANY single test was out of line even a little bit, AMSOIL would have been sued many times over by the other companies involved. You believe what you want, and buy/use what you want. I use it and sell it because I tested it on my own bike. Even with @7,000 miles on AMSOIL 10-40(in my VTX) the cylined temps were 13 degrees and 17 degrees lower(front/back)on the cylinder walls over brand new Mobil 1 MX4T 10-40. I just took temp readings today on my RG cylinders and at the bottom of the V getting 235 front, 280 rear, and 208 center. I am having AMSOIL put in the bike tomorrow and I will post the new temps after I get home with it and again after the same 1200 miles have gone by

Old 05-28-2007, 07:16 PM
vasser
Advanced

ORIGINAL: iclick

That "White Paper" test, was forwarded to each oil company before and after the results were known. ANY company that did a test like this certainly would be SUED hand over fist by any company that could prove the tests were faked in any way shape or form. The fact that not one of them has said "BOO-HOO" about this test should tell everyone a little.
Yep, AMSOIL paid for the oils and the lab time, no doubt there. To say they bought off all the oil company lawyers and marketing heads is just insane. In this day and age of lawsuit happy people, and just one of those tests were to be faked, AMSOIL would no longer be in business.
As I've said many times in response to this notion, I doubt if Exxon-Mobil or even the smaller oil companies are concerned with any threat imparted by this test. Amsoil is not a big seller of oil products in comparison to Mobil 1, for example, and I doubt if the other "boutique" brands (Amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline, etc.) feel particularly threatened by it. I know that Royal Purple is the favorite of most racers (car, motorcycles, and boats) and RP has recently started selling on the retail level in Pep Boys, O'Reilly, and Napa stores. They are making all the oil they can sell and are not worried about competitors. I can't speak for the others, but I think it is a stretch to think they really care about hyperbole in the marketplace. You hear it hourly in TV commercials.

I used something besides Amsoil in my '96 RK, another top-drawer synthetic, and rode it 106k miles before trading it in last November. The heads were never off that bike and the last compression test done showed 158/158, the bike used no more oil than in 1997 when purchased, and ran like new. Previous compression tests, done every year since 1998, were always between 155 and 160 lbs. in both cylinders. Could Amsoil do better? How long will this engine last using this oil? Would Amsoil do better? You don't know and neither do I. How can you quantify the relative superiority of one oil over another in a real-world scenario? You can't, as it is impossible to maintain total parity in the environment.

The only point I'm making hear is the inappropriate use of the word "best" in such a categorical context. It simply isn't supported by any evidence that I've seen, including the Amsoil White Paper.
AMEN to that....iclick for president!!!!

Old 05-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

They sure would be worried about a small company, which AMSOI is not really. Just a few years ago SEARS sued a very small hair dresser because they had named their boutique "Shears Tower". It was found out that the lawyers fees were more than that little shop was worth. So big companies will sue anyone that steps on their toes, even a little bit, and even faster when it is direct competition with them

Old 05-28-2007, 07:18 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Here's a question for the " amsoil experts" that claim amsoil to be the best and as stated above. The famous white pages they produce at their expense to promote their product. Has anyone ever seen people trying to promote another brand oil like the dealers on this and other sites like amsoil does? It's the old pyramid system at work again, the old amway system. I sell to you and you sell to the next guy and I make a proifit on your purchase and also on your sales too. Not hard to get caught up in the amsoil scheme when you want to make some money![/align]
This has been going on for years. As I said, Amsoil makes a very good product, certainly in the top ranks of synthetic oils, IMO, but the hyperbole espoused by the Amsoil faithful is just too much and gets very tiring year after year. They believe this White Paper as if it was a religious document, to be believed without the slightlest doubt. Do a Google search on almost any oil topic and you are directed to hundreds of Amsoil sites. They really do have it covered, and this will appeal to those who like what they say and don't wish to explore further.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:23 PM
vasser
Advanced

ORIGINAL: iclick

This has been going on for years. As I said, Amsoil makes a very good product, certainly in the top ranks of synthetic oils, IMO, but the hyperbole espoused by the Amsoil faithful is just too much and gets very tiring year after year. They believe this White Paper as if it was a religious document, to be believed without the slightlest doubt. Do a Google search on almost any oil topic and you are directed to hundreds of Amsoil sites. They really do have it covered, and this will appeal to those who like what they say and don't wish to explore further.
Very well stated and I will further it by stating that I would never use amsoil just because of the brainwashing that goes on about the white papers like you mentioned. Try to pick up a quart on the road if you are low

One other thing here, like I stated before about the amsoil dealers trying to drum up business on the sites, the major oil companies DO in fact advertise on TV as stated but the individuals participating on this and other sites just get carried away with the promotion of the product, so much in fact that they turn a lot of people off as seen by replies by members stating that they wouldn't use the product just because it is being promoted constantly by the dealers stating "it's the best oil" etc. It's interesting to see some members here that only reply to oil debates, makes a person wonder.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:34 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Sure you do, just watch any auto race on TV. M1, Castrol, and many others go to great lengths to sell their stuff. It is also, NOT a pyramid scheme, those are illegal and no one sells anything to anyone outside the triangle. No one, sells me the oil I sell. People pay me, and I pay AMSOIL to ship that person their order. Done, no other steps or levels.
The point he was trying to make, I'm sure, was that Amsoil is chiefly sold by individuals like yourself. Most of the Amsoil users I've encountered are also sellers, and like he said it's easy to get caught up in the hyperbole when profits are at stake. I don't doubt all you guys feel your oil is superior to everything else on the market, but the evidence doesn't bear this out. What is borne out by the tests I've seen over the years is that it is a top-drawer product that should be considered by anyone looking to maximize lubrication and protection for their valuable vehicles. However, there are other top-drawer products available that could just as well be touted as "best" by their faithful followers.

Personally, I'm a believer in the benevolt effects that moly provides as an engine-oil additive. Most of the synthetic oils we talk about here contain moly, but Mobil 1 VT and Amsoil do not. That puts both of these out of contention for me, but I won't claim that my opinion should carry any weight in the decisions made by others. As you said, buy what you like.

As I said above, if ANY single test was out of line even a little bit, AMSOIL would have been sued many times over by the other companies involved.
And as I've said, I doubt if any of them care. How much is the Amsoil White Paper really hurting Mobil 1's bottom line? How much would Redline, for example, realize from spending millions of dollars in litigation vis-a-vis any increase in sales that would develop from eliminating the White Paper from circulation? It probably would make no financial sense at all.
It is easy for me to see why no oil company would want to bother.

You believe what you want, and buy/use what you want. I use it and sell it because I tested it on my own bike. Even with @7,000 miles on AMSOIL 10-40(in my VTX) the cylined temps were 13 degrees and 17 degrees lower(front/back)on the cylinder walls over brand new Mobil 1 MX4T 10-40. I just took temp readings today on my RG cylinders and at the bottom of the V getting 235 front, 280 rear, and 208 center. I am having AMSOIL put in the bike tomorrow and I will post the new temps after I get home with it and again after the same 1200 miles have gone by
Spike, what controls were put on that test? Were conditions identical? Did you try it more than once to verify the results? If you do the Amsoil test and want the results to be fair, you'd need to ride the bike under the same enviroment and conditions as the first test, which is impossible.

Quick Reply: what kind of oil do you use?