Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what kind of oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:49 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: what kind of oil do you use?

ORIGINAL: Chicago Spike

They sure would be worried about a small company, which AMSOI is not really. Just a few years ago SEARS sued a very small hair dresser because they had named their boutique "Shears Tower". It was found out that the lawyers fees were more than that little shop was worth. So big companies will sue anyone that steps on their toes, even a little bit, and even faster when it is direct competition with them
Companies will sue over trademark violations in a split second, and this is understandable because a trademark is a very valuable asset for them and they defend them with great zeal. Coca Cola has a trademark on their font, believe it or not. About 25 years ago a local realtor with the intitials "CC" created a logo using the Coca Cola font, and guess how long that lasted? Auto Zone was first named Auto Shack, and guess who sued them over that little overstep? Guess who won? Auto Zone did not contest the suit, but simply changed their name. It was cheaper that way.

Now, if a new oil company decided to use the brand name "Mobile Won," do you think it would fly? Can you see why Exxon-Mobil might get their dander up?

Old 05-28-2007, 08:06 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: vasser
Very well stated and I will further it by stating that I would never use amsoil just because of the brainwashing that goes on about the white papers like you mentioned. Try to pick up a quart on the road if you are low
About 10 years ago I was looking to move from Mobil 1 to something else and began my research. I was turned off by Amsoil's approach, which hasn't changed in the years that have followed. There were several statements made that I knew were either false or taken out of context, making other products look inferior when in fact they were not on the basis of those statements alone.

As for availability, when I started with the oil I currently use it was not readily available in stores, and early on I would carry a quart with me on trips. That old RK Evo used about a quart every 5k miles, even after >100k miles, and I always liked to keep it "topped up." More oil means better cooling and better absorption of contaminants. If any of us ever had to add a quart on the road and didn't have one on board, any synthetic oil would do in a pinch. Every oil brand that I'm aware of states that mixing their oil with other brands is acceptable. I don't think that the lack of availability of Amsoil or any other brand should be a big factor in one's selection, although it would be nice to hop into any Walmart and pick up a quart of Mobil 1--or Pep Boys, O'Reilly, or Napa for Royal Purple. Unfortunately, ??w50 is not always available even at stores carrying that particular brand, and is becoming harder to find as time goes on. Almost no cars ever specify anything more viscous than 5w30 these days, and diesels usually use 15w40, so there's no guarantee of finding even M1 15w50 at a Walmart in Kalamazoo, MI or Moscow, ID. I have a friend that couldn't find any 15w50 M1 in Baton Rouge and ended up borrowing some of my oil to prepare for a bike trip to Alaska.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

As hard as this might be to believe, I don't sell AMSOIL to make a profit. In fact, I lost money last year because I sell it for as low as I can and try to just break even. If you don't believe this, I will let anyone come over and look at my records that my accountant(wife is a CPA)has on my sales. No, she doesn't like that I don't make money on it
If you were to actualy read the whole paper and view each test result, you'd see that AMSOIL doesn't win each test. It only won 13 out of 24(10-40 and 20-50 tests) You'd think that if they were swayed to one side, they'd make the test results a tad more one sided.
Again, I don't care what anyone uses. Oil is like politics, people will believe/like what they want and nothing will sway that. This is fine, that is why there is more than one flavor of ice cream too.

I'm done, use what you like, I have no vested interest either way. Just ride safely when you do

Old 05-28-2007, 08:29 PM
jammer25309
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the same thing...if Syn3comes in the Screamin Eagles why shouldn't it be in all Harley's???

Old 02-21-2012, 11:12 AM
koolone
3rd Gear
Default what kind of oil do you use?

Ok the real question is... What kind of oil comes in say like a 2012 Road King? Do they use Syn in them from the factory?

Old 02-21-2012, 11:35 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by koolone
Ok the real question is... What kind of oil comes in say like a 2012 Road King? Do they use Syn in them from the factory?

If I remember correctly the factory uses something they refer to as "break in Oil" and No, it is not synthetic. You wouldn't want it to be anyway.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:14 PM
koolone
3rd Gear

Thanks Journeyman,
My take on this coming from an elder is.. Any good brand oil will work just fine as long as you change it between 2500 and 3000 miles. I don't really care what they say about syn oil. I would never let any of my motors go 5-7 thousand miles before changing it. Just my way of doing it....

Old 02-21-2012, 12:50 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in the town that Amsoil was founded. I work out in a gym owned by Amsoil. I've drank beer with the owner of Amsoil before (he's a really nice guy), he's purchased my lunch before (I was in uniform and he used to be a Air National Guard pilot) and guess what.......

I run Syn-3 in my bike right now. I live in the "home of Amsoil" and it's still a Pain In The A$$ to get. I know I can go to any dealer on the road and get Syn-3, and I can keep a few quarts at home for if needed.

I like things simple. Now with Royal Purple being easier to get, I would try it. But bottom line, I change my oil before recommended intervals religiously. My bike would run on Dino oil, and it's still running just fine on Syn-3. That said, I am open to change, and may go Royal Purple. Big deal. If I'm paying too much for Syn-3, it's me and my accountant's problem. I have had no need to change yet.

Also, this is not an endorsement for Syn-3. It's not "the best" but it works and it's easy for me to get my hands on.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by koolone
Thanks Journeyman,
My take on this coming from an elder is.. Any good brand oil will work just fine as long as you change it between 2500 and 3000 miles. I don't really care what they say about syn oil. I would never let any of my motors go 5-7 thousand miles before changing it. Just my way of doing it....

That may be fine, but I am not saying not to use synthetic oil, I do.
What I am saying is, I just don't want to do it right away in a new motor.
I let the factory oil stay in a few hundred miles, I'll have 3 oil changes with petroleum based oil in by the time I get to 5000 miles, and Then, Synthetic oil only from there on out for me.

The petroleum oil has a bit more friction and sort of helps polish things up inside the motor, I see it as a necessity in the beginning, and a hindrance later on.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:42 PM
FUBAR55
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After 500 miles:
Mobil 1 for the engine
Spectro Platinum for the gears
Rev Tech in the Primary
Been using this combo for years with no problems.

Last edited by FUBAR55; 02-21-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply: what kind of oil do you use?