Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a Tire

Old 04-15-2014, 11:44 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Time for a Tire

The wife's 2014 RK is due for a new rear tire as she's reached the wear indicator at about 16,000. If it were up to me, I'd throw MCII on it and call it good.

She wants the wide whitewall. What are my options besides the OEM D407 and the American Elite that have the wide whitewall?

Old 04-16-2014, 12:39 AM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on you and your wife on actually riding your bikes. I see so many people on here who ride less than 5K per year! Anyway, I don't have an answer to your question but I do like the American Elite's because of the NWW. Cheers.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:19 AM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hausguy
Congrats on you and your wife on actually riding your bikes. I see so many people on here who ride less than 5K per year! Anyway, I don't have an answer to your question but I do like the American Elite's because of the NWW. Cheers.
Thanks!!!

Old 04-16-2014, 04:36 PM
Joe L. Boxx
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FinalShot
The wife's 2014 RK is due for a new rear tire as she's reached the wear indicator at about 16,000. If it were up to me, I'd throw MCII on it and call it good.

She wants the wide whitewall. What are my options besides the OEM D407 and the American Elite that have the wide whitewall?
I got 19k plus on my Elites NWW. I'd stick with them. Also I've got WWW's on my Herityage.Look mgreat but a real hassle keepin' them clean.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:36 PM
Joe L. Boxx
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FinalShot

I got 19k plus on my Elites NWW. I'd stick with them. Also I've got WWW's on my Heritage.Look mgreat but a real hassle keepin' them clean.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:44 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

There are a few options for the old frame, not sure if they will available for yours. Metzler, Avon, Shinko, and the Dunlops.

I am going back to WWW's for my next set, I miss the look. I will stick with the dunny's.

One thing I found with my last set was I bought the engraved HD ones, and they had some sort of coating on them and they wiped clean with a sponge, no scrubbing or need for bleach white. May have been a fluke, and I could not confirm if they were any different then the non engraved ones. If you don't mind paying the extra cash for them, it may be worth it on cleaning time.

Good luck with your search.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:07 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
There are a few options for the old frame, not sure if they will available for yours. Metzler, Avon, Shinko, and the Dunlops.

I am going back to WWW's for my next set, I miss the look. I will stick with the dunny's.

One thing I found with my last set was I bought the engraved HD ones, and they had some sort of coating on them and they wiped clean with a sponge, no scrubbing or need for bleach white. May have been a fluke, and I could not confirm if they were any different then the non engraved ones. If you don't mind paying the extra cash for them, it may be worth it on cleaning time.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks, I haven't been overly impressed with my Metzelers 888 on my FLHTCU with traction so I don't think I'd put those on her bike. She's a much gentler rider than I, but just don't think I want her on something with less traction. I'll look at the others, just having a difficult time finding them in WWW.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:31 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Your third choice (Kinda)
WWW, New longer lasting tread compound, rebate if you buy two now.
My dealer does not have them yet, but they are moving out the old to make room for them.
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info...merican-elite/

Old 04-16-2014, 08:33 PM
J2X
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

I am in the market for a new rear tire as well. I have been looking through JP Cycles and they have Pirelli and Michelin as well as the Dunlops. Not sure if Pirelli and Michelin have a WWW/NWW. I will probably go with the Dunlop for the WWW. Prices are less than HD Dunlops listed in their parts manual.