Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside...now I'm back

Old 04-16-2014, 06:13 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,477 Likes on 1,234 Posts

If you really want to educate yourself, read this article. Bottom line for me, I will not put a car tire ever on a motorcycle. Cars don't lean and ride on the side of the tire!
http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse-...torcycles.htm/

Old 04-16-2014, 06:27 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,794 Likes on 8,395 Posts

Originally Posted by kojak
If you really want to educate yourself, read this article. Bottom line for me, I will not put a car tire ever on a motorcycle. Cars don't lean and ride on the side of the tire!
http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse-...torcycles.htm/
The author talks about liabilities of mounting other than MT on the bike. I suppose if you push it, you could find the rider at fault for changing anything on the bike, from handle bars, seat, headlight or even a get back whip. I'm sure the rider could be found at fault for riding to aggressive just prior to any wreck if he were found to be leaning further than the lawyer thought would be safe.
As I stated earlier, CTs aren't for bikes that are used for canyon carving and that's the condition that the anti dark sider's are using as the basis for their argument.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:04 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,230 Likes on 804 Posts

Cars don't lean and ride on the side of the tire!
Actually they do. Any time you turn a car side forces shove the tire over towards it sidewall. The squashier the tire and higher the side forces, the further over onto its sidewall it goes. Add in body roll and goofy suspension geometry, and you get well over onto the sidewalks.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:28 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Great picture, foxtrapper. I swiped it and added to my file !

Here's three that I'll share....right out of Custom Chopper magazine from '70's. For the non - believers, note they look exactly like car tires.....

And those are stock motorcycle tires from the era, btw.

Attached Thumbnails Went to the Darkside...now I'm back-chopperchick.jpg   Went to the Darkside...now I'm back-motorcycle-tire-1975.jpg   Went to the Darkside...now I'm back-older_tires1.jpg  
Old 04-16-2014, 08:00 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the first time I have ever read a forum thread about using a car tire on a motorcycle..but will investigate further.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:21 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I run a Good Year Assurance Triple Tread on my V2k. I have just over 25k on it and It still looks near new. I run about 28lbs in it for the best ride. I think you may have had to much psi in it for the best performance. Dark side is not for everyone but it works for me. I commute 75 miles one way with it. Also hit the twistes on a regular basis with it so I think I have a good idea if it will work. For me it is good but for you maybe not so much. My one recommendation would be to not do it if you are not comfortable with it.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:01 PM
HarleyGTP
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

LMAO,love all the darksiders coming into this post and getting defense.

Last time I checked, darksiders complained so much about other people preaching against using a CT on a motorcycle, that the moderators had to put a special announcement inside their little section of the forum.

So do us a favor Darksiders, go back to your section and preach how amazing your CT is, if this guy didn't like it, why can't he express his experience?

Old 04-16-2014, 09:04 PM
mutantsfornukes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I see in that Valkyrie pic is a rear tire that doesn't look to have a lot of surface contact on the road.

I don't choose to ride on car tire myself, but it doesn't really bother me that it works for others.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:21 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

I have never understood why you woud want to put a tire on a motorcycle that was not designed for that use. No different than running a marathon in steel toed work boots. Can you do it? Yes. Will it be comfortable? Probably not. Be easier in running shoes? I would think most diffinately. I all for saving a buck, but, not in this area. If you are running a car tire on your bike I would appreciate a sign advertising the fact so I can steer clear.

My $.02.

Neil
RDMC

Old 04-17-2014, 04:21 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Like I said.....Worse than the damn Scientologists.....The problem wasn't the car tire, it was the brand of car tire......Or the inflation of the car tire......Good grief.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside...now I'm back