Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside...now I'm back

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:20 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
My bike doesn't do that.

Lets see now, that makes it one for and one against.

Although I must ask what in G-ds name made you decide to use a Goodyear RSA? Those things suck on cars (ask me how I know.)

I just checked on the Darkside Tire Info Center website (pretty much the bible for which car tires work for a given bike) and there is not a single (not one) case listed of anyone running a RSA.

http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires

But you thought it was good idea, discovered immediately that Darkside doesn't work, took the tire off and started to preach....

hmmm...

edit,
I just went thru all of your posts. Pretty strange that you never once asked for any Darkside advice or even once wrote a post stating you considering trying Darkside. You never even asked for any help when you claim it didn't work.

Does any one else notice a strange odor in this thread?
So, who do you think really killed JFK?

Old 04-18-2014, 10:26 PM
mickeylynn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Great picture, foxtrapper. I swiped it and added to my file !

Here's three that I'll share....right out of Custom Chopper magazine from '70's. For the non - believers, note they look exactly like car tires.....

And those are stock motorcycle tires from the era, btw.
Think there may be more than a couple reasons why motorcycles handle better now than they did in the '70s?

If car tires were appropriate for bikes, they would market them as that way. Tires are put through so much R&D for safety and performance. There are reasons why they don't even design motorcycle tires that resemble car tires. Maybe in straight lines and regular street turns, but don't see it handling well on twisties. I also know that if a driver was like that truck on a regular basis you should take their flippin' license away. Also that is an older truck that doesn't have modern suspension. Vehicles didn't last as long then, tires didn't last as long. When riding you are always leaning. Car tires just aren't meant for that.

For your safety and for those around you, you should trust in the engineers that know what they're doing. You could be opening yourself up to a huge lawsuit of reckless endangerment if something happens, even if it has nothing to do with the tire.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:26 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by D_gyver
Wow, that's a thorough analysis. Did not read it all, but will. To the author, 82gl1100iwingman, well done and thank you for the effort.

I'll be sticking with the tires designed for my rides.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:51 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,909 Likes on 8,429 Posts

Well, don't worry about me. I'm sure my CT will work out just fine despite all the sky is falling, hand wringing, straight stock rider's horror stories out there.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:32 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,711 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
The CIA was behind it........and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:35 PM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

that's why they call them motorcycle tires. but I guess you can use MT's and not die. But I enjoy the handling of a motorcycle so why would I use a big ole CT and lose handling capability. I don't think darksiders claim equal handling,,do they?

Old 04-19-2014, 06:13 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,909 Likes on 8,429 Posts

Originally Posted by oakmossy
that's why they call them motorcycle tires. but I guess you can use MT's and not die. But I enjoy the handling of a motorcycle so why would I use a big ole CT and lose handling capability. I don't think darksiders claim equal handling,,do they?
Well, if you're riding your Harley off road or riding on the edge, yeah, keep your MT on the bike. You'll need it. If you are just cruzin, long haul, slab kind of riding, consider a CT.

Last edited by EasternSP; 04-19-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:18 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
that was funny as hell..I am still chuckling....

Old 04-19-2014, 09:59 PM
mrmatw
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I respect those that have either have tried or want to go to the dark side.. But for me, it's not worth the sacrifice of safety. Now if your looking for a tire that will give you great response. longer life and greater dependability in the corners. Try the Michelin Commander II's. A few of us are going into our second season with these tires and have plenty of tread life on them. I was impressed that they didn't telegraph the cut lines in the hywy to the handlebars. Water displacement was great. Got caught in a few down pours and the tires performed great! OF course this is my opinion and I may be wrong, but to my wallet says the bright side is for me!

Old 10-21-2019, 05:08 AM
18deluxerider
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I so agree, if you ride like I do. dragging my floor boards in the corners. then use the motorcycle tire. I lean the bike so the tread is wearing almost to the edge of the tread, I require the sure grip only gotten with metzler or shinko, in my opinion. remember shinko is rated #1 wheelie tire as of late. just saying...

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside...now I'm back