Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside...now I'm back

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 06:18 AM
Bass Player
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,925 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Post mold here...post is 5 years old. Hope everyone got their tires figured out.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bass Player:
eighteight (10-21-2019), Goose_NC (10-21-2019), ve9aa (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 07:53 PM
18deluxerider
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

lol well I suppose looking at that would have been a good idea. funny how it was listed as a recent post. oh well.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:55 AM
Brew61
Cruiser
Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Wow, you sure can tell its winter LOL.

Ok here some food for thought.

Trikes are motorcycles, are they not running car tires on the back?

I bet there are more motorcycle riders killed on motorcycles with motorcycle tires on going into corners then there are motorcycle riders going into corners with car tires on.

Ok people we have been customizing bikes since they first came out and will continue to do so for as long as they are around. Now not everyone is going to like what other may like, but do we really have to tear them apart for it.

I am sure there are guys out there that think a bike should not be modified at all. I am sure there are guys out there that think that a 124 does not belong in a cruiser, I am sure there are guys out there that think a guy should not paint his bike hot pink, just like there are guys out there that don't think car tires should go on bikes.

The fact is guys are going to do this because thats what they want, we should not be tearing them apart or putting them down just because they want to be different. That is what customizing is all about. The world would be a pretty boring place if everyone thought and did the same thing.

So instead of insults, can we not just say " hey thats cool good for you, glad your happy with it"

Bruce

The following 3 users liked this post by Brew61:
18deluxerider (10-22-2019), foxtrapper (10-22-2019), geezer glide 56 (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 04:36 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,242 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by 18deluxerider
remember shinko is rated #1 wheelie tire as of late.
So?
Not saying that I agree with you (evidence of this claim?), but so what?

Old 10-23-2019, 07:47 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 453 Posts

From the OP, and the scariest part of this whole thing: "PS, I played with the tire pressures and the lower you go the worse it feels and to get the tire to feel somewhat safe the tire pressure is so high you are risking a blowout." plus the specifics added later.

Tire manufacturers KNOW that tires get warmer in use and allow for that. They counsel to NEVER let air out of a hot tire if the pressure was correct COLD. If the sidewall says 51 psi max, that is for COLD measurement and if the pressure goes to 70 psi due to heating, the manufacturer allowed for that. Tires are built using heat and the closer a tire gets to that level of heat, the more prone to sudden failure (blowout) it gets. LOW PRESSURE causes a tire to build up internal heat from excessive flexing,, not high pressure. As a tire heats up, the rubber softens so more will scrub off in use INCREASING the wear rate. This applies to ANY pneumatic tire, whether for a motorcycle or car. To minimize tire heating, treat any recommended pressure as a minimum, not a maximum, as tires will slowly lose pressure over time. If you start out at the recommended pressure, the tire will go BELOW that pressure over time. How many KNOW that their gauge is accurate? If it reads 3 psi MORE than actual pressure, you start out 3 psi BELOW the recommended pressure and the pressure drops from there. Contrary to intuition, higher pressure is better than lower pressure when it comes to tires.