Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside...now I'm back

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 04:40 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,828 Likes on 8,403 Posts

I think it's rather amusing that people who have never riden on a CT come into this thread and tell us all about it from their perspective in their easy chair.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:07 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

I still want to know why the OP never once before this mentioned anything about Darkside.

When he was first considering it he did not ask a single question. I know that I asked a ton of questions before I seriously considered it.

When he found an old used Good Year RSA he never asked if anyone had any experience with that particular tire. I talked to folks who used a GMax to make sure that both fit and they were happy with it.

He never posted a single post saying "Hey I just went DS". Also not a single picture. I know I certainly did.

When he started having trouble with the CT he never came on line and asked for advice. How many people tear out a mod they can't make work without asking at least a couple of questions?

My problem with this thread has nothing to do with car tires themselves...

Old 04-17-2014, 06:42 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
I think it's rather amusing that people who have never riden on a CT come into this thread and tell us all about it from their perspective in their easy chair.
I've never been raped in prison either. Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about it.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:23 AM
Guitarman_sg
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
I've never been raped in prison either. Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about it.
Train, until you have been raped in prison you can't have an opinion!!! And unless your rapist used the correct rubber, you opinion still won't count! And make sure you poll the prisoners in the other cell blocks to see what the correct brand of rubber is...

Old 04-17-2014, 07:43 AM
DBLXX
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Was a Darksider on my 2007 and 2010 Goldwing. Put over 300,000 on CT's over the years and they never once failed me. I rode the BRP, Dragon, Cherohola, and SLD hundreds of times. I've with the best of them...whether carving or slabbing.

If I didn't do a CT on my wing I would have to have performed tire changes in the middle of some of my super tours and I was not willing to stop and do a tire change.

It's for some but not for all. I enjoyed getting 30,000 miles out of a tire and not having to curb my riding style because I knew/know it to be perfectly safe.

Do what makes you happy.

I am NOT going to DS my 2014 SG because I just won't be doing 10,000 mile 10 day trips like I did on my wing. If I was...then I would.

For all that claim safety issues....just like to stir the pot.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:50 AM
crewser
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...Like I said, I really wanted the CT to work for me. If I could get the tire to perform as I needed it then I could laugh at all those suckers who put MT on their bikes.

I did a lot of research before I did this I have been following the mcdarksiders forum for years. I don't post every question I have about something and Google helps a lot finding information. I wanted to give an honest review of the CT performance from my perspective.

I tried adjusting the tire pressure and ended up at 48psi and the tire still was really squirmy at full lean. The tire lost some of the smoothness and I started to notice road imperfections. I did also notice that the tire got very hot, at 42psi the tire was heating up and reading almost 50 psi. Every time I adjusted the pressure up, it got a little better. In the end I figured at 48 psi the tire was warming up to well over 50psi...

...and to reiterate. The CT was great just cruising around and modest speeds. I ride hard and fast and when you are coming out of a turn at 4000rpm in 3rd gear and the back of the bike is squirming around, I don't feel safe.

If you can see in the picture I put the tire right to the edge if the tread both sides. I feel that the squirminess was caused by running the tire directly on the edge of the tread

Attached Thumbnails Went to the Darkside...now I'm back-20140417_090931.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 07:56 AM
HarleyGTP
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
I still want to know why the OP never once before this mentioned anything about Darkside.

When he was first considering it he did not ask a single question. I know that I asked a ton of questions before I seriously considered it.

When he found an old used Good Year RSA he never asked if anyone had any experience with that particular tire. I talked to folks who used a GMax to make sure that both fit and they were happy with it.

He never posted a single post saying "Hey I just went DS". Also not a single picture. I know I certainly did.

When he started having trouble with the CT he never came on line and asked for advice. How many people tear out a mod they can't make work without asking at least a couple of questions?

My problem with this thread has nothing to do with car tires themselves...
Not everyone posts questions before doing something. I could spend a couple hours reading the "darkside" section of the forum, and feel comfortable making decisions about putting a CT on.

Maybe he didn't need to "come online" to express how he wanted to try going CT, maybe this forum isn't his bag. Or maybe he just tried something and waited until he had made a decision on whether he liked it or not to post.

LOL, exactly. Don't need to run a CT on my motorcycle to know it just sounds like its not for me.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:36 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by crewser
I have read all the hype over car tires on motorcycles so I figured I would try it out. Tire Goodyear Eagle RS-A 205-55 16. Here is my review:

Initial thoughts were, WOW, this smooth and you don't feel all the cracks and bumps in the road. Dyna beeds seem to be working after hitting 140Kph. All is good so it seems, time for some twisties to really see the tire performance. I tried some light turns and all is good, so far. This was my frist run so I wanted to break the tire in.

Second run: I noticed some tire flexing from the first run so I bumped the pressure up to 40psi from 38. This run I decided that it was time to push to the limits. I push the bike into a hard right, as the bike starts to lean over its's fine, then I hit the spot just before the boards hit and then it happens. The whole rear end does the little shimmy and it feels like I am loosing it. I back out of the throttle and slow down. I keep riding and every hard turn the tire shimmys at max lean angle.

Results: If you drive like an old man or don't know how to counter stear then the Darkside is for you. If you like to push your 900lb touring bike to it's limits then stick with the bike tire. The car tire is good until about 15-20* lean angle.

PS, I played with the tire pressures and the lower you go the worse it feels and to get the tire to feel somewhat safe the tire pressure is so high you are risking a blowout.

IMHO
Good move. Better to have good handling and be safe than to safe a few bucks and experience longevity from a car tire.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:10 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,828 Likes on 8,403 Posts

05Train said, "I've never been raped in prison either. Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about it."
HarleyGTP said, "Don't need to run a CT on my motorcycle to know it just sounds like its not for me."

Well goooollly (in my Gomer Pyle voice). and if ya see a picture of the surface of the moon it's as good as being there too, right?
and by what you are saying, I would suppose your bikes are stone stock condition without a single change or modification, right? After all, the H-D engineers designed them that way, right?

Last edited by EasternSP; 04-17-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:23 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
05Train said, "I've never been raped in prison either. Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about it."
HarleyGTP said, "Don't need to run a CT on my motorcycle to know it just sounds like its not for me."

Well goooollly (in my Gomer Pyle voice). and if ya see a picture of the surface of the moon it's as good as being there too, right?
and by what you are saying, I would suppose your bikes are stone stock condition without a single change or modification, right? After all, the H-D engineers designed them that way, right?
That makes no sense at all my friend. No one - not the tire manufacturers, the motorcycle manufacturers, or any engineer - has ever recommended a car tire on a motorcycle. Not really the same thing as a purpose-built part for a motorcycle, is it?

If you're happy running a car tire, I'm happy for you.

I'll take something designed for a bike, thanks.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside...now I'm back