Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Axle Cover/ Treatment for Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 02:20 PM
Ray Lloyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Rear Axle Cover/ Treatment for Street Glide

I have a 2012 Street Glide. As you can see from the photos, I've installed the Vance & Hines Big Radius 2-Into-2 Exhaust. With the factory mufflers gone, the rear axle, axle nuts, and adjustor plates are all visible. I also installed the polished stainless rear brake disc, and the ***** Shiny chromed rear pulley, so I would like those to be visible too.....

Does anyone have any suggestions, opinions, photos, links etc of a classy way to clean this area up? IE: Covers, powdercoating, chroming, etc, or, I would not be against purchasing a whole new aftermarket axle kit complete if there is one that is "finished" looking enough.

I've looked at these covers in both chrome and black:
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/534-187#!

One of my concerns with these is if they are large enough in diameter to cover the ugly axle adjustor plates.

I've also thought of having the whole assembly chrome plated, but there is still the issue of an ugly chromed adjustor plate.

I also looked into having the whole assembly powdercoated black, but as I have the front axle cover in chrome, I would probably rather have chrome showing.

-Also thought of powdercoating everything black, and then adding the chrome Covington's covers to just hide the ugly axle nuts, hoping that the black adjustor plates will just kind of visually fade into the black swingarm.

Any suggestions?

Thank You in advance.

Last edited by Ray Lloyd; 04-16-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Never heard or axle covers for the rear of a bagger. That does not mean they do not exist but most guys go with stretched bags over an axle cover. And if you are running dual exhaust you can't really see the axle anyway as it is next to the pipes.

I checked my fatbook and saw nothing but there are these which i think you referenced above. I don't think they will cover the cam on the axle.
http://www.covingtonscyclecity.com/C...=Axle%20Covers

Old 04-16-2014, 03:09 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

stretch the bags

fab brackets to drop the bags 2"

paint the hardware black

mike

Old 04-16-2014, 04:25 PM
bullpupp12
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

not to get off topic, but nice looking ride

Old 04-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Ray Lloyd
Road Master
Thumbs up

bullpupp12, thank you for the compliment!

As far as the bags, I'd prefer not to add stretched bags, I ride very aggressively through corners, to the point the footboards scrape on the ground, and I'm not sure the bags would not hit the pavement. There is a youtube vid of a guy on a Harley with extended bags going through a corner wherein the bags hit the pavement and actually lever the rear wheel off the ground, causing a low side crash.

Also, since I added the polished stainless rear brake disc, and the ***** Shiny chromed pulley, I'd prefer to see them.

Another point is that bags painted to match the vivid black go for around $1,600.00 or so.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Thumbs up

I've always admired your ride, Ray. Your quite the photographer as well.

I've not got an answer to a rear axle cover, however...

Have you considered having it polished (is that even an option,) or possibly powdercoating both ends and the nut black?

Old 04-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Ray Lloyd
Road Master
Thumbs up

Beav, thank you for the compliments on the bike and the photography!

I have considered polishing, and chrome, and powdercoating. All have a disadvantage, as in the chrome or powdercoating being scraped off when the big axle nut is tightened, but I am discussing perhaps a couple fixes for that with someone.

As an aside, my brother's nickname is "Beav", and we have called him that for more than 47 years. Almost all of the family call him that, and my Daughter, Step-Daughter, and Step-Son all call him "Uncle Beav"

If you would like to see some examples of photos of some really gorgeous models, PM me with an e-mail address.

-Ray

Old 04-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Ray Lloyd
Road Master
Thumbs up

Bump for the Friday night crowd.