Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded Radio XM Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:26 PM
electraglideguy
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgraded Radio XM Issues

I just finished installing the upgraded Harmon radio on my 2005 Ultra with both the CB and XM Module. Everything works great EXCEPT the XM Module I a power and it shows up on the list but when chosen the radio says no signal. I have used two different antennas and checked them both in the driveway to ensure getting a signal I have also started service wwith XM and still nothing Could it be a bad a module or is there something I'm missing? Sounds great with the setup now but I GOTTA get my satellite radio working. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:34 PM
Smokey11
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

If you just put the Harmon Kardon on your bike then you need the XM module itself. The module is a separate module. It is a add on feature that sits on top of your Harmon Kardon radio in the fairing.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:51 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

No signal is what you see when you cover the antenna with your hand. Since you've tried 2 antennas, I'd say you either have a bad module or you're not plugging the antenna in all the way.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:08 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokey11
If you just put the Harmon Kardon on your bike then you need the XM module itself. The module is a separate module. It is a add on feature that sits on top of your Harmon Kardon radio in the fairing.
Did you read his post?

"I just finished installing the upgraded Harmon radio on my 2005 Ultra with both the CB and XM Module."

Old 04-16-2014, 10:48 PM
hellbilly78
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how the antenna works on the modules like you have. But i have a car radio kit on my sg and i know the antennas need to be fairly clear of obstruction to the sky. With very little interference.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:55 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

HD XM module is junk especially considering the cost. Lousy reception and doesn't go as loud as the tuner, CD, or AUX.

Since upgraded to a Sony HU with SXV200V1 (which retails for only $46) and all the above mentioned issues are gone.

You would lose the CB function with a aftermarket HU but I've read CB reception is lousy as well. One member said they actually had to go to a truck stop to see if it was even working.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:57 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

have not used harmon kardon, but have used a bunch of xm's, xm modules will get channels 0 and 1 when not activated- this can help to ensure antenna is working properly.

ch 0 is the radio/xm ID # and should display on the face of the unit, antenna or no
ch 1 is a droning ad for ...xm, and tells us the antenna is working, the unit is working, the radio is working etc.
mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 04-16-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:58 AM
electraglideguy
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Antenna location shouldn't be an issue I had an XM receiver on before, so I mounted the antenna in the same place I will double check the antenna being installed properly The reason for the upgrade was a great deal and cleaning up the bike I have a gps mounted and the xm was mounted as well, and after all the custom work I was hoping to clean the look up a bit

Old 04-17-2014, 08:20 AM
camsmith
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been through this and my fear is that it'll work fine if the antenna is moved to outside the fairing. When I had the XM module outside the fairing is the only way my XM would keep a signal. I have since switched to getting my XM through my Zumo 665 GPS which uses a different (bigger) antenna which works fine mounted beneath the fairing. I was even able to activate the new setup inside the garage with the fairing on....that NEVER would have happened with the smaller module antenna.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:29 AM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Ok, stupid question but I have to ask as it might help. When you did the install did you use the non-ultra overlay cable? If you did, double check all your connections are correct and tight. Trust me, one wrong connection makes all the difference in the world. Also, you can do a signal resend to the XM radio online. Move your bike outside so it has a clear view of the sky. Go online to XM's website and resend the activation signal to your unit. If you can't do it online you can call XM's fantastic overseas customer service (sarcasm intended) to preform the same.

Quick Reply: Upgraded Radio XM Issues